With all of the classes now covered to some degree, what are your initial plans for your party(ies)?

I'll be six rangers. My team will be huge! jk :)

I'll be making my pc a ranger and my allies will be based on which npc's I like, but I definitely have a paladin on my team.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

PC: Paladin, to smite the wicked and protect the innocent.

Not sure what I'll do for the rest of the party.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Surely it will depend largely upon whether or not the rest of the party is wicked or innocent. 8)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I will let you know how my pistol-packing, Barbarian-exclusive run goes.  If that works, anything will work.

I'd like to see how that turns out as well.

I'm willing to bet it won't work at all as such.

The enemy will rush in and shred your hairy pistoleros.

Having all sorts of characters be viable, doesn't quite equate with all tactics are viable.

Now, if the barbarians open up with a volley taking down the enemy caster,

and then proceed with greataxes, daggers and stuff. That's another thing.

Pretty sure a part of party will needs to melee & hold the line, while others can play support.

Maybe you can have melee wizards and support them with pistolero barbarians, but I'm pretty

sure one can't just choose to not fight hand to hand if the enemy rushes in.

• Like 2

I will let you know how my pistol-packing, Barbarian-exclusive run goes.  If that works, anything will work.

I'd like to see how that turns out as well.

Challenge accepted.  ;)

• Like 3

All 11 are so fresh & balanced that choosing makes it hard work.

However, 

Protagonist- Fighter

Then I will choose among the companions met, judging by character rather than class.

Then I will have to make the combination work  :)

I don't want silent companions or maximizing my party efficiency (the more challenging, the better for me) so I won't create my own followers in the Adventurer's Hall.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I hope they run faster than bullets, then. Rage-fueled bullets.

Plus, if you boost the crap out of your Barbarians' throwing capabilities/aim, you've got 12 extra projectiles with which to strike your foes, even if you run out of ammo. 8D!

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Not sure who I'll have with me, i think my first play through will just be based on what npc's my character gets along with most, but my first will either be a Chanter or Monk; leaning more towards Monk at the moment.

First go around I'll be doing wizard; it's a cop out but if everyone in the game is somewhat magical it does make sense. I'm really interested in monks and godlikes though so I'll definitely be looking to get one in my party so that I can see how they work without having my whole party depend on me figuring it out from the start. Second go around, provided I like them, a monk will be my choice. 

My usual RPG party setup:

Paladin (Pc, leader)

elven female sorceress (damage spec)

old male human archmage (utility, versatility)

elven male ranger

dwarf fighter (or fighter/cleric)

human cleric (or priest or fighter/cleric)

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Surely it will depend largely upon whether or not the rest of the party is wicked or innocent. 8)

There is no such thing as innocence - only degrees of guilt!

• Like 2

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

There is no such thing as innocence - only degrees of guilt!

So... KaineParker's Paladin won't really ever issue forth any protection, only varying degrees of smiting?

The best an "innocent" person can hope for is an extremely tiny/feeble smiting. :)

• Like 2

I'm interested in playing a human monk myself, but I'm going to try out all the classes during the beta so that I can see what are the most fun mechanics.

In the end, I'm aiming for a kensai, so monks wearing swords are the obvious starting point. The rest is going to be written companions for the first run.

I'm going to build some nonsensical custom parties afterwards.

Edited by Doppelschwert

I'm not really sure why being a Wizard is a "cop out," but cool.

I think that in most games I've played there's been a large emphasis on wizardry and magic which, while totally justified, leads to spellcasters having an edge over other builds. Not that a warrior with a greatsword isn't fearsome but there's typically a spell that is overpowered and easily abused. 

Not to mention that there are new/different characters types in PoE (like the monk) which I should use... which is purely personal, I enjoy new things.

I think that in most games I've played there's been a large emphasis on wizardry and magic which, while totally justified, leads to spellcasters having an edge over other builds. Not that a warrior with a greatsword isn't fearsome but there's typically a spell that is overpowered and easily abused.

Fair enough, but I have high hopes that this will not be the case in PoE.

I mean, if you just look at the raw power output of an ability, it could very well seem that a Wizard's spell is "better" than all other abilities. And, in many circumstances, it might be. But, I will say that, playing as a Wizard/Mage in almost any game has typically resulted in my feeling plenty of feebleness/difficulty in only having my spells at my disposal. You know, the sort of "If I could manage to get BOTH these spells off in succession, I'd probably be fine, but I'm having trouble doing that because of the speed/power/(insert-factor-here) of this group of enemies," etc.

The main thing that encourages me with PoE is that, in their treatment of Wizards, they're definitely going a lot less "You only get like 4 spells, but they annihilate," and more "You have a lot more you can do more often, and you'll get powerful stuff as you progress, but they're not quite so much a handful of grenades as they are a box of ammo and a few different guns."

Wizards won't be quite as limited in their spell output as they usually are, and so won't need to rely on the "but those handful of spells you get are 10 times better than any one thing your other classes can do" counterweight.

Edited by Lephys

• 2 weeks later...

Having watched the gameplay footage, I'm rapidly coming around to the idea of making a character defined by their stats rather than by their class. I'm inclined to build a character with high intelligence, medium resolve and perception, and actually dump might, dexterity and constitution. From there, I will most likely select either a Paladin or a Cleric to take advantage of the personality bonuses for RPing.

Having played so many RPGs where I am the star of my party, I very much like the idea of being the weak link in combat but helping to support the superior fighters around me, whilst providing useful leadership and direction.

• Like 2

I want to make a dwarf bear druid with high might and constitution. I hope I will be able to tank well as a druid.

I may also level up intellect a bit, simply because druids are so much about AoEs and it might be useful in dialogues. 

What concerns my party, I will just pick companions based on how much I like them. Pallegina is already on board, as far as I am concerned since she seems to be cool. Otherwise I'll just stay put and see what kind of cool characters Obsidian has in store for us.