With all of the classes now covered to some degree, what are your initial plans for your party(ies)?

Isnt there already same topic?

anyway

PC: rouge human/godlike

Party: anyoneone I like and dont produce purple particle effects

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I can't decide on the second play through party until I play with the classes a bit. For sure, my main character for my first play through will be a Wild Orlan Death Godlike Barbarian wielding a poleaxe though. I just like the idea of a hairy little horned guy running around butchering things. Plus the wierd race should yield some interesting options in converations.

Edited by Shevek

Actually I'm curious how many people are planning to use custom-designed companions on their first playthrough?

Personally, I can't see myself using any of them until a few playthroughs with the written companions since while I am interested in combat, my primary interest is seeing all the writing and character interaction.

I LOVE the idea of the adventure hall but I will be using that as a second/third playthrough thing. On my second+ play throughs of BG1/BG2, I liked making my own custom party, giving them all bios, even messing with the 2das and giving them custom kits, etc. The first time, though, I like to do NPC sidequests, etc.

The more I think about it...

I would be a Barbarian

Party would be...

Priest - heals

Wizard - spells

Ranger - tank pet+range

Paladin - frontline+buffs

Druid - misc

I can see myself using the AH in my first playthrough if there is no druid companion. In fact, alot also depends on WHEN a companion becomes available. I can see myself using the AH to get a class in my party sooner rather than later.

Edited by Shevek

The more I think about it...

I would be a Barbarian

Party would be...

Priest - heals

Wizard - spells

Ranger - tank pet+range

Paladin - frontline+buffs

Druid - misc

I can see myself using the AH in my first playthrough if there is no druid companion. In fact, alot also depends on WHEN a companion becomes available. I can see myself using the AH to get a class in my party sooner rather than later.

I read somewhere that all companions will be unlocked by the end of the first act, so you should have access to them all fairly soon.

Actually I'm curious how many people are planning to use custom-designed companions on their first playthrough?

Personally, I can't see myself using any of them until a few playthroughs with the written companions since while I am interested in combat, my primary interest is seeing all the writing and character interaction.

For me it'll depend on the races/classes of the available companions and how decent their starting stats and such are for that class. I'll probably use a mix of written and custom. I can always switch things up in subsequent playthroughs, but I really want to experience certain classes more than others for the first run through.

I am not a power gamer, so I will probably keep companions that I like personality-wise (even if I end up with a weak party).

Remember the 'canon' party from BG1?  The one BG2 just assumed you had for some reason (PC-Imoen-Minsc-Khalid-Jaheira-Dynaheir)?  That was not the best party around simple because, if you dual-classes Imoen like you were apparently supposed to, you had to go through a lot of the game with no thief unless your character was a thief.  That was kind of fun trying to do later on.

I almost always start out as a Paladin, but I'm now strongly considering starting out as a Chanter from what I've read about them.

As for my party, I'm sure I'll be swapping companions in and out of the party as needed (at least for the first playthrough), but I expect that I will bring along Eder, Cadegund and Pallegina for much of the time.

"You shall not pass!"

I have made up the classes of my party a long time ago:

• Paladin
  • Chanter
  • Cipher
  • Priest
  • Wizard
  • Druid

I have a preference for casters :)

I am flexible as to which of those will be the main; I guess it will be the role that is hardest to fill with a companion I like,

Once I got my hands on the game, I will probably roll a classic MIGHT/DEX/CON warrior just to try out and get used to the combat mechanics.

Then, after completing like the first couple of quests, I will restart the game and try out a completely different warrior build, based on off-stats and see what I like better (interrupt-build?). Then I will go with what seems more fun after the first couple of hours.

Given the information available on: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Companion, my party will look like this on my first playthrough:

PC: Warrior ... going with the tropes for fantasy leads, my first PC simply has to be a warrior.

Adventurer's Hall buddy #1: A druid, simply because none of the confirmed companions is a druid.

Cadegund: Priest ... cause you will probably need one.

Aloth: Wizard

Edér: Thief

Pallegina: Paladin or Sagani: Ranger, depending on which character I like more personality-wise when I first encounter them.

I'll definitely play the campaign on hard mode right from the get-go. Ain't nobody got time for medium difficulty.

On my second playthrough, I will make a Thief PC and an adventurer's hall priest and take all the other characters I left out on my first playthrough. And this time on ironmode.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

Probably a fighter with a pollaxe (or in case of absence, some other big hacking instrument) and some sort of heavy duty firearm.

Though I'll have to see how well a rogue could work with those, giving even greater versatility.

Companions. Whoever I happen to like the most and feel a good fit for the main character.

(Cadegund and Pallegina are probably a match)

6 barbarians carrying pistols.

Welcome to Detroit?

Yeah, that'll kick the hornet's nest... :p

For me it'll be Core Four plus a couple for flavor, depending upon how appealing I find the personalities of the potential companions.

• Like 2

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I am not a power gamer, so I will probably keep companions that I like personality-wise (even if I end up with a weak party).

That's why there's a difficulty slider and a Hall of Adventurers included--very thoughtfully, I might add--in the game.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

After the latest update I think I might try to break the rigid party and try three off-tanks rather than a main build.  Two barbarians, Cypher, Chanter, Cleric, and Mage.  That does have the weakness of being low on single target damage (actually the cypher might take care of that), but it has a lot of resilience and control over the battlefield which means the characters will have more health when they go to those critical boss fights.

I want to use my barbarians to dash past the line and then cluster enemies for AoEs.

Setting aside party composition, I'm genuinely interested to test J.E. Sawyer's claim that a whole variety of character builds will be viable and effective, as opposed to wizards needing maxed out intellect or fighters needing maxed out might and most other stats being dump stats.

What if I play a rogue with a focus on Intellect and Resolve instead of Dexterity? Will that be workable? Will I get a rogue that is still effective, just in a different way? I want to see and play around with all my party members stats in that way.

Setting aside party composition, I'm genuinely interested to test J.E. Sawyer's claim that a whole variety of character builds will be viable and effective, as opposed to wizards needing maxed out intellect or fighters needing maxed out might and most other stats being dump stats.

What if I play a rogue with a focus on Intellect and Resolve instead of Dexterity? Will that be workable? Will I get a rogue that is still effective, just in a different way? I want to see and play around with all my party members stats in that way.

I will let you know how my pistol-packing, Barbarian-exclusive run goes.  If that works, anything will work.

• Like 3

If each attribute contributes something worthwhile to every character class, then that certainly opens up a lot of new character possibilities. I hope it ends up being as awesome as the hype would have us believe.

"You shall not pass!"

If each attribute contributes something worthwhile to every character class, then that certainly opens up a lot of new character possibilities. I hope it ends up being as awesome as the hype would have us believe.

I'm certain there will be 'optimized' character builds and not-so-optimized ones. It would take either a minor miracle of system balancing or every class/stat combo being homogenized into a bland mass of sameness for it to work out any other way. Just so long as the not-so-optimized ones are still viable, I'll be sufficiently impressed. 

And yes, I will be very, very impressed if the pistol-wielding gang of barbarians can actually work out. 

I will let you know how my pistol-packing, Barbarian-exclusive run goes.  If that works, anything will work.

I still think going full wands is more preposterous better. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Player character: Wizard - because they can do so much

Fighter - soaking up damage from the stronger mob with a shield

Barbarian - dealing with the lesser mobs with his dual weilding skills

Rogue - sneaking up from behind for crits and taking down enemy casters

Priest - melee buffer/healer, making sure no enemies get past the front line to my casters, and moves in to flank once battle has started

Druid - versatile caster, might serve in some animal form to get flanking bonus and assist the rogue if needed