E3 Previews (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

At the opening game of the 2014 FIFA World Cup is level 1-0 for Croatia through an own goal by the Brazilian Marcelo, as we say goodbye to Josh Sawyer. The 38-year-old still wants us to be happy, then he looks glued to the screen of his laptop, where the live stream of the football game running.

It would seem the Germans were mightily impressed...

I love, love, liiiieeeebe Baldur's Gate 2 Pillars of Eternity is this for me so far best PC game in so many aspects so close that I already threatening to burst onto the publishing end of the year with impatience: graphic style, tactics, battles, Quest design, dialog, everything is top notch. These user interface and interface become effective in the early beta stage very mature. On dearest, I would have just continued to play at E3 after the end of the presentation itself. Those like me who stands on the old-school approach and wants a hearty party RPG, I can only say: Forget Dragon Age: Inquisition, forget The Witcher 3 - Pillars of Eternity is the PC role-playing game, which ye have 've always wanted!

Yup.

The German review is good big wall of text of everything they saw and it all great according to them.  Impressive games journalism even through the wall of google translate

Edited by Urthor

What is the other game with RTwP?

On that graph it's Dragon Age Inquisition, but I'm not sure if that's true. So PE may in fact be the only one.

Edited by Sensuki

On that graph it's Dragon Age Inquisition, but I'm not sure if that's true. So PE may in fact be the only one.

Seems like RTwP as far as I know. I mean, the other 2 games were and the gameplay clip I saw had them pausing, giving orders and then seeing them carried out in real time.

They have already shown DA:I in multiple demo's and it was very much real time with pause.

I would just like to make a declaration: we have no ability in the game named Ghost Bleach. :grin:

It sounds really cool, I reckon. Let it be in the game, somehow, just steal that name, unabashedly, no questions asked!

"A mysterious purple wind appeared and sapped the souls of every member in the caravan". In the ruins "Hooded cultists chanted around an alter as the purple, soul-sapping mist swirled about outside"

Great! I almost hated that purple light, and now it will be my nemesis throughout the game. I will go on a crusade with dim-witted pcs. They'll just grunt and repeat the growl "Murder purple!!"

Seriously, though. All this sounds so fab that I'll have a hard time waiting any longer for this game to come out. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would just like to make a declaration: we have no ability in the game named Ghost Bleach. :grin:

Another interviewer mentioned a similar ability: Enchant Weapon: "Ghost Blades"

Might be a Wizard spell or a racial ability ?

Edited by Sensuki

I´m so excited about this game i just thought about what i will do on the day it comes out. Buying 2 pizzas some sweets enough coffee too etc. Man this is great already now finish it please!

And thanks for the links... i must say that this e3 press thing was a good decision because now i´m so much more excited somehow then before :)

So get that back to work :D

Another interviewer mentioned a similar ability: Enchant Weapon: "Ghost Blades"

Might be a Wizard spell or a racial ability ?

Heard it was supposed to be a Cipher ability.

The E3 previews pretty much confirmed that there would be only 5 skills, scraping the original idea. Has anyone seen new details on the confirmed skills function (e.g. athletics and lore) inside or outside of Scripted interactions?

As long as they come up with plenty of spiffy other factors with which to produce combo-applications, I'm all for it.

For example, "You have 80 Mechanics, but you have no knowledge of this certain culture's machines, so you still don't ace this skill check and/or you only have so many options for what you can actually accomplish with your Mechanics skill in this situation," versus "You have 80 Mechanics, so you now just magically know all things about all machines and accomplish anything in the game that ever has anything to do with mechanical things."

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The E3 previews pretty much confirmed that there would be only 5 skills, scraping the original idea. Has anyone seen new details on the confirmed skills function (e.g. athletics and lore) inside or outside of Scripted interactions?

I'm sure there's more than 5. None of the e3 reviews touched on Stealth, or Crafting, or Alchemy, or Thievery (for example) but we know those are in the game, and anyone can easily picture the use of those skills both inside and outside scripted interactions.

I'm sure there's more than 5. None of the e3 reviews touched on Stealth, or Crafting, or Alchemy, or Thievery (for example) but we know those are in the game, and anyone can easily picture the use of those skills both inside and outside scripted interactions.

I wish it was true, some time ago I speculated that we might get as many as 8 skills. However, in those interviews pretty much stated that there are 5 skills, naming the five skills we know: Athletics, Lore, Mechanics, Stealth and Survival.

We previously received info on the last 3, but as far as I know we got no specifics on the first two. Also Crafting isn't a skill, its a mechanic. There is no Thievery skill (I assume its Athletics slight of hand check) and no Alchemy skill either, we have recipes, although it has been said that a skill check might be need for special stuff(I assume its lore)

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

^  I think they are going to be relying on abilities, and possibly talents, for a lot of the scripted sequences and recipe requirements.  It might work ok, but 5 skills seems a bit chunky and will likely lead to some fairly odd shoe-horning (like your athletics thievery example).

Edited by curryinahurry

^  I think they are going to be relying on abilities, and possibly talents, for a lot of the scripted sequences and recipe requirements.  It might work ok, but 5 skills seems a bit chunky and will likely lead to some fairly odd shoe-horning (like your athletics thievery example).

I think his example is just poorly chosen.

Pick pocket?  Easy = Stealth.

Disable trap? Obviously a Mechanics check.

Picking a lock?  The same, Mechanics.

Doing a tumble and leaping from a building to escape the guards?  Athletics.

Hiding in shadows or moving silently?  Again both obvious Stealth checks.

Edited by Karkarov

To be fair to them, that "odd shoe-horning" is entirely my fault (i was in rush), don't forget they have attributes at their disposal as well, so slight of hand would be more likely to be paired with dexterity? As for athletics.. now that I think about it, I believe there was a swimming example..

EDIT: Here is a recent post e3 interview athletics/swimming example: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/File:Scripted-interaction-example1.jpg

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

Yeah, that was convenient on my part, but the point remains.  Let's look at tracking as an example; is that now a talent, class ability, or part of the Survival skill set?  If it is a Talent, will that be a general ability, or class specific?  If it is part of Survival, it will be lumped in with healing, which seems odd.  maybe it will be a subset of perception and class, but it seems fairly clunky and exclusionary in such an implementation.

Yeah, that was convenient on my part, but the point remains.  Let's look at tracking as an example; is that now a talent, class ability, or part of the Survival skill set?  If it is a Talent, will that be a general ability, or class specific?  If it is part of Survival, it will be lumped in with healing, which seems odd.  maybe it will be a subset of perception and class, but it seems fairly clunky and exclusionary in such an implementation.

It is difficult and time consuming to make RPG that don't abstractions that aren't in odds with real world examples. PoE has only five skills for two main reasons, first it focus isn't in simulation, but in exploration, tactical party based combat and story telling, and secondly they wanted all skills to be useful for every character, which becomes that much harder to do more skills you add. 

Survival is skill that determines how long effects from consumables (foods, drinks, potions, drugs) last and in scripted sequences it is used in options that involve wilderness, hunting, etc. things that one usually associate with surviving in nature. 

For tracking they probably use in scripted events survival skill, perception or intellect depending on which works better in that scenario from narrative perspective, like for example in scenario where you try find where person or monster went in wilderness they could give you option use your survival skill to follow their tracks, and in scenario where you try  find some one in crowd in city they could give you option to spot that person using your perception, and in scenario where you try to determine where person that you followed disappeared in dark street they could give you option to use your intellect to determine if your character can figure that out.

I don't think that they will use talents (general or class specific) in many or even any scripted events, as that would make in most cases mean talents that are meant for scripted events only which would make it quite complex to make them such that player should choose them more than one character in party and if they use talents that also give combat bonuses in scripted events, it would make hard for player determine without meta knowledge which talents are best for their character, which are both something that Obsidian has tried to avoid in PoE's design.

I thought it would be 5. There's no further possible way to break down the 4E D&D skill list than what Sawyer has done.

Athletics - Athletics, Acrobatics.

Lore - Arcana, History, Religion

Mechanics - Dungeoneering, Thievery

Stealth - Stealth

Survival - Heal, Nature

Endurance is rolled into a Constitution check

Insight into a Perception check

Speech Skills are deleted

That's every 4E skill covered (which were already simplified from 3E).

• Like 1

Yeah you gotta remember stats too, when you need to challenge a persons dexterity in D&D you don't ask for a skill you do a dex check.  You can have stat based challenges in Eternity too, many times they make more sense.  I am sure there will still be skill or stat based checks in conversation though, like using your survival knowledge to answer a question or perception to realize someone is lying.

I thought it would be 5. There's no further possible way to break down the 4E D&D skill list than what Sawyer has done.

We haven't been pitched the 4E D&D skill list. So i won't be speculating on possible break down of that list, assuming that breaking it down was necessary at all.

However, I am very much looking for new info on the in game mechanics that are tied to those skills (like with stealth sneak mechanics), because without it 5 skills in party of 6 means that we can always max every skill, making scripted interaction skill checks useless (you'll always have access to all the special options) and the choice what skill to level less meaningful then in previous IE games.

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1