E3 Previews (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

EDIT: Also the health bars and recovery bar are mentioned separately in the article, so I don't think anyone confused anything Sensuki.

Are they. Wtf @ two bars above the character. Sure I understand the desire for transparency but that seems a bit over the top. Adam told us you can switch the health bar back to mouse over text (thankfully). And hopefully those recovery bars can be turned off too.

EDIT: Also the health bars and recovery bar are mentioned separately in the article, so I don't think anyone confused anything Sensuki.

Are they. Wtf @ two bars above the character. Sure I understand the desire for transparency but that seems a bit over the top. Adam told us you can switch the health bar back to mouse over text (thankfully). And hopefully those recovery bars can be turned off too.

All of those UI elements can be switched off in the Options menu for those people that like a more authentic IE experience.

• Like 11

For something like this is the Athletics check against the whole party or just your character?

There are group checks, if one character don't pass the check he will get injured.(source(behind a paywall))

It depends on the interaction. Sometimes it's a single character, other times it's the group and individual members of the party can become injured by being below the threshold. "Injury" in this case means a penalty that lasts until the next time you rest: twisted ankle, swollen eye, etc. Similar to the Dragon Age injuries but less... long-term-sounding.

From one of the articles:

One other nice touch since November: characters now have a bar above their heads that shows when their next turn comes, based on their stats. If you remember from the old Infinity Engine games, combat is an "active-pause" system, meaning that it's technically turn-based but can be played in real time if you want. In Pillars of Eternity, the yellow-orange bar slowly fills up until it's time for a character to take another action, providing welcome mechanical feedback for a modern games crowd that might not be used to active turn-based combat.

Really, Obsidian? You've decided it would be a good idea to put action bars over everyone's heads?

I think it depends. Sometimes it just uses the player's stats and other times it uses the whole party.

The toon you "rolled" or the toon you are currently controlling? For example, I wouldn't want the mage I rolled as my main to face an Athletics check if I have a beefy barbarian who would (presumably) have a higher Athletics ability.

From one of the articles:

One other nice touch since November: characters now have a bar above their heads that shows when their next turn comes, based on their stats. If you remember from the old Infinity Engine games, combat is an "active-pause" system, meaning that it's technically turn-based but can be played in real time if you want. In Pillars of Eternity, the yellow-orange bar slowly fills up until it's time for a character to take another action, providing welcome mechanical feedback for a modern games crowd that might not be used to active turn-based combat.

Really, Obsidian? You've decided it would be a good idea to put action bars over everyone's heads?

You can turn it off. It is stated in a few posts above yours.

Being out of the loop for a while and now seeing these updates, I'm really impressed with the rate of progress, rest of the year just became that much longer while waiting for the release =)

Edited by Crom

I think it depends. Sometimes it just uses the player's stats and other times it uses the whole party.

The toon you "rolled" or the toon you are currently controlling? For example, I wouldn't want the mage I rolled as my main to face an Athletics check if I have a beefy barbarian who would (presumably) have a higher Athletics ability.

I'm guessing that in some case everyone needs to pass the check, like when diving through the waterfall (assuming lack of equipment to get other characters across once one has passed). It wouldn't make much sense that because your rogue managed to leap over your mage suddenly gets a DEX boost and manages the same.

But I don't see any reason why you'd need multiple check when, for example, moving a rock out of the way. If one character is strong enough to move the rock that ought to be good enough.

Whether it's actually enjoyable as a gameplay mechanic is another matter though ;) (personally I'm rather optimistc that it'll turn out fine)

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

Given how incredibly heavily these screens are adopted from Darklands, I'd imagine it works as in Darklands. This means that if only one character needs to do it, the one with the highest skill will automatically be the one who rolls the check. 

• Like 1

The new screenshots look beautiful.

The two things stood out as possible causes for concern:

• The animations were described as disappointing. Hopefully they aren't finished and will continue to improve until the game releases.
  • The UI was described as non-skeumorphic, modern, and minimalist. If I recall correctly there will be an option to choose which type of interface to use, so it's possible that Obsidian just decided that the modern option would go over better with the press.

Did every one miss Poke around the pool with a stick?

There could be something in the pool that could yank you off the wall.

:)

I was more curious about what "wait for a few hours" would accomplish. I already know Im choosing that option. :lol:

It's the secret options that lets you rest infinitely. Keep hammering that option, Gfted1!

• Like 3

Did every one miss Poke around the pool with a stick?

There could be something in the pool that could yank you off the wall.

:)

Personally, I hope every event gives you the option to poke something with a stick

Tense negotioations with an Elven war party? Poke their leader with a stick.

Baking a pie for an important guest? Poke the ingredients with a stick.

Find a stick abandoned on the ground? Poke it with a stick.

Edited by UrbicaMortis
  • Like 12

I know it's not beta or anything, but as some feedback to that screenie I'd really like the skill check to clearly tell me if it's the highest skill that will roll or the whole party.

I found that part confusing in Darklands when I first started playing.

General warning anyone who do not want to spoil the start of his game, do not read those interviews. Obsidian pretty much spilled the beans on the whole first encounter and there is a screenshot.

Seems like the polish level may have been the larger concern rather than the spoilers.

Oh yeah the journalists who are criticizing this? Wasn't this the reason Obsidian did not want to show this to us? Or was it because of the first 20 minutes into the game spoiler and their NDA?  Anyway great move none or less^^