Assassin's Creed: Unity (for men only!)

Bryy

Btw, reminds me of this:

About that new AC game... Well, played a bit of that one with the native american dude, but the beginning was so boring (no idea when you actually start playing that native american dude...) that I quit fast and never felt motivated to try again. Long story short, probably won't even try that new thing. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm still barely 1/360th of the way through Black Flag, my save game sitting idle. I guess because I try (want) to play it like Skyrim, or Dragon Age ... scouring the 'sandbox' and quest-completing each area ... but it was never meant to be played that way. I can't figure out how to have fun as an 'assassin' with a 'creed'. If anyone knows, please give me a hint.

Strong female characters are more interesting to me, anyway. My fledgling comic collection is developing a pattern: Black Widow, Elektra, Wonder Woman, Tomb Raider, She-Hulk ... but also G.I. Joe and Captain America for some dude variety.

All Stop. On Screen.

The co-op looks good in theory, but anytime I've attempted any sort of co-op play with strangers online, there's zero teamwork like you see in the video.  Each person just sort of tries to play like they're doing solo.

Maybe I just end up getting stuck with crappy co-op players.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The co-op looks good in theory, but anytime I've attempted any sort of co-op play with strangers online, there's zero teamwork like you see in the video.  Each person just sort of tries to play like they're doing solo.

Maybe I just end up getting stuck with crappy co-op players.

The smaller the teams the more cooperation tends to happen in my experience. You can of course have bad partners in games like Splinter Cell Blacklist, Left 4 Dead and Portal 2 but I've found for the most part that people will at least try to help each other out when the sizes are small enough to learn each others screen names. 

Why is the lack of female player avatars such a big deal by the way? Sure it would be nice to have the option but it doesn't really impact the gameplay at all. 

Edited by Serrano

I think it's not the lack of them so much as the fact the guy said "Well we were about to but then we just didn't have time to finish the model/animations/whatever" which got everyone up in arms. I think that means that they were going to create a fully unique character model with unique animations and such as a woman, but ran out of time to do her, but many people took it to be "generic model and animations with a female skin" and thus started this whole ruckus we're seeing.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Why is the lack of female player avatars such a big deal by the way? Sure it would be nice to have the option but it doesn't really impact the gameplay at all.

Because ladies have lady parts and they're tired of not having an avatar they can project themselves into. Is like the female equivalent of the dude that will only play games if the MC is a dude, not one of those androgynous JRPG dudes but a real one, with a beard and a Mohawk. Seriously, their argument is just as ridiculous.  

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Especially when you can barely tell the gender under the assassin robes anyway.  It's not like one of those games with boob armor and loin clothes where it's pretty clear who is male and female, or even a game where you have dialogue choices that may differ based on playing a female or male character (though BioWare seems to have negated even that with their "everyone is bisexual" design decision).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Because ladies have lady parts and they're tired of not having an avatar they can project themselves into. Is like the female equivalent of the dude that will only play games if the MC is a dude, not one of those androgynous JRPG dudes but a real one, with a beard and a Mohawk. Seriously, their argument is just as ridiculous.  

I can only imagine the BS that would occur if Samus just now outted herself.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the day when they put a male lead in Tomb Raider. Same with the Syberia games. We men should be able to play as a man and it's discrimination not to include a male avatar.   :p

Thanks for being patronizing, Hiro.

I have yet to play Brotherhood, Revelations, AC3, AC4 and Liberation. Did I miss any? 

I can't keep up with the AC series. 

Play Brohood, AC4, and Liberation.

AC3 and Revelations are horrible, which is sad, because none of the AC games have a bad plot.

I'm waiting for the day when they put a male lead in Tomb Raider. Same with the Syberia games. We men should be able to play as a man and it's discrimination not to include a male avatar.  :p

I think the point is that as the number of players/playable characters increases, the omission becomes more noticeable and jarring. In single-protagonist titles it's all rather arbitrary, but with four-player co-op such as in the new AC game, variety becomes more appreciated. By the time you get to larger scale multiplayer games like Unreal Tourney it's an expected feature, and attempting anything else in an MMO would be a ludicrous concept.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

because none of the AC games have a bad plot.

You and I clearly differ on the cluster**** that was AC3 storyline.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm waiting for the day when they put a male lead in Tomb Raider. Same with the Syberia games. We men should be able to play as a man and it's discrimination not to include a male avatar.  :p

I think the point is that as the number of players/playable characters increases, the omission becomes more noticeable and jarring. In single-protagonist titles it's all rather arbitrary, but with four-player co-op such as in the new AC game, variety becomes more appreciated. By the time you get to larger scale multiplayer games like Unreal Tourney it's an expected feature, and attempting anything else in an MMO would be a ludicrous concept.

Females make up 48% of the user base. 

Ubisoft continuing to unapologetically chase the old demographic is incredibly insulting.

• Like 1

Ubisoft continuing to unapologetically chase the old demographic is incredibly insulting.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/12/assassins-creed-unity-characters/#more-212773

I am glad you raised this issue Bryy.

I thinks its a disgrace. If you read the link I provided you'll see how Ubisoft has been caught out when they said "having female characters is too much work""

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/12/assassins-creed-unity-characters/#more-212773

I thinks its a disgrace. If you read the link I provided you'll see how Ubisoft has been caught out when they said "having female characters is too much work""

Please see my response to this above. Although we can't truely know everything because, hey, we're not on the dev teams for any of this.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Meh, big deal, I can believe that time pressures caused it to be cut from the feature list. Can't really guess what their development cycle is like from the outside so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Internet Outrage machine trundles on.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, will have two male leads addition to Lara in its four player coop (forth character is female) . And they were planning male avatars in Syberia 3's multi player before they put production of the game on hold.

EDIT: Did you know that you can play as male in newest Tomb Raider's multi player and if I remember correctly there is more male avatar options than there is female avatar options.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 2

Wait. .Syberia 3 was to have multiplayer ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Please see my response to this above. Although we can't truely know everything because, hey, we're not on the dev teams for any of this.

Okay I am not sure we are disagreeing with each other and yes because we don't actually work at Ubisoft we aren't privy to the real reason there aren't any female character options in the game. This  shouldn't stop us speculating though and doing some research on the issue?

Meh, big deal, I can believe that time pressures caused it to be cut from the feature list. Can't really guess what their development cycle is like from the outside so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Internet Outrage machine trundles on.

Malc what if time pressures weren't the real issue but the fact that some people at Ubisoft are appealing to a certain demographic? Would that bother you, I know how seriously you take issues of gender equality. See the quote below from RPS

"Case in point, former Ubisoft lead animator (including on Assassin’s Creed III) Jonathan Cooper chiming in to observe thatIn my educated opinion, I would estimate this to be a day or two’s work. Not a replacement of 8000 animations.” Even more damning if rather less specific isMan, if I had a dollar for every time someone at Ubisoft tried to bull**** me on animation tech“. Cooper, now at Naughty Dog, has said a few more fascinating obesrvations on the matter, and the general issue of male vs female animation, over here. I do wonder, with my cute little tinfoil hat on, if that’s got something to do with the abrupt change of tune coming out of Ubisoft overnight"

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wait. .Syberia 3 was to have multiplayer ?

Yeah and there was plans to do it cross platform multiplayer so that Playstation 3 and PC gamers could play with each other. Although Microïds announced lots of things considering Syberia 3 that were anything but true. 

Syberia 3 To Be Cross-Platform Playable Between PC/PS3

Edited by Elerond