Assassin's Creed: Unity (for men only!)

Bryy

So Ubisoft is reducing the French Revolution to chopping off heads

... how did you come to that conclusion?

Bester is really just being dismissive of any suggestion around inclusivity for the entire fanbase. Don't take it too seriously :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh, that's Bester.

Okay.

Oh wait, you right. My bad that's not Bester ( I think) :blush:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Malc what if time pressures weren't the real issue but the fact that some people at Ubisoft are appealing to a certain demographic? Would that bother you, I know how seriously you take issues of gender equality. See the quote below from RPS

"Case in point, former Ubisoft lead animator (including on Assassin’s Creed III) Jonathan Cooper chiming in to observe thatIn my educated opinion, I would estimate this to be a day or two’s work. Not a replacement of 8000 animations.” Even more damning if rather less specific isMan, if I had a dollar for every time someone at Ubisoft tried to bull**** me on animation tech“. Cooper, now at Naughty Dog, has said a few more fascinating obesrvations on the matter, and the general issue of male vs female animation, over here. I do wonder, with my cute little tinfoil hat on, if that’s got something to do with the abrupt change of tune coming out of Ubisoft overnight"

Well, if they're appealing to a demographic then that is withing their rights to do so - it is their product in the end. Interesting comment by the animator but I'm skeptical it is that easy, maybe a comment by a PM or developer might be more useful in determining how valid the excuse is.

Still much a do about nothing, but then again I don't invest in the game PC as much as others seem to. But I guess it's good for other companies, they can put out something that shows how "progressive" they are and people will wank over it and say "See, Ubisoft!!". :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm guessing they will revive the female animation project if enough **** is raised. Someone call Anita Sarkasian. That way they can look like heroes for doing what they should have done in the first place. 

The Ascreed animations are pretty smooth but I just don't believe that doing them is beyond the scope or budget of an Ascreed game. More like cutting corners and trying to spin it like it's a good thing, like the no multiplayer in the new Wolfenstein thing.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'd be bummed if I had plans to play this game, since I play female characters about 50% of the time, given a choice.  But since I have no plans to play this game I don't care all that much.  Sucks for the people that do plan to play it, though.  I highly doubt there was any sort of ulterior motive beyond simply "**** we ran out of time and the Ubisoft taskmasters are cracking the whip to get this out the door because greed."  Nothing to blow a gasket about, anyway.

For fun they should change the name of this particular installment to Assassin's Creed: Sausage Party.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'd be bummed if I had plans to play this game, since I play female characters about 50% of the time, given a choice.  But since I have no plans to play this game I don't care all that much.  Sucks for the people that do plan to play it, though.  I highly doubt there was any sort of ulterior motive beyond simply "**** we ran out of time and the Ubisoft taskmasters are cracking the whip to get this out the door because greed."  Nothing to blow a gasket about, anyway.  

I always find it interesting when the typical response to some issue of inequality is something like "no need to stress or make a big deal about it, there must be a reason for it. SJW just need to stop making an issue about something that is not an issue"

It makes me wonder if that response would be the same if you were the particular group that was the target of a particular instance of inequality in a game. And this is not necessarily directed at your comment Keyrock but more of a general observation to the standard response I hear from some people

John Milton 

Tell us more about those female protagonists in GTAV, Bruce.

Wow, that's cheeky..very cheeky :teehee:

But you right, the GTA franchise should have a female protagonist. But those games are my guilty pleasure, I am still going to play them. I hope I don't let you down :blush:

John Milton 

I always find it interesting when the typical response to some issue of inequality is something like "no need to stress or make a big deal about it, there must be a reason for it. SJW just need to stop making an issue about something that is not an issue"

It makes me wonder if that response would be the same if you were the particular group that was the target of a particular instance of inequality in a game. And this is not necessarily directed at your comment Keyrock but more of a general observation to the standard response I hear from some people

I'm hard pressed to see how this is an inequality in any way that warrants outrage (putting aside how everyone on the Internet is a Daily Mail reader in terms of that). I guess it's inequality in the game universe where those female NPCs can't be assassins....but that universe doesn't actually exist. Women can play the game and enjoy it for what it is, no ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's a video game, hence "no need to make a big deal about it".  If women were being denied jobs IRL based solely on their gender then it would be reason to make a big deal about it.  As for the "video games need more female heroes" stance, I don't necessarily disagree, though I'd argue that stabbing people in the neck isn't particularly heroic.

As an aside, I really liked the idea of Assassin's Creed: Liberation, in part due to the fact that the protagonist was a woman of color, and seemed like she could be a truly interesting character.  It's too bad that game was the very definition of mediocrity.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

One is quite interested in the dissolution of the Templar order by the French king, i've been told that the knights play a central role against the Hashish eaters of this series, I assume this will be exploring the end of that order due to the Paris setting? I've never actually played one due to bad press from friends saying that I would dislike them intensely, I wonder if this might be an ideal place to enter the series?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

One is quite interested in the dissolution of the Templar order by the French king, i've been told that the knights play a central role against the Hashish eaters of this series, I assume this will be exploring the end of that order due to the Paris setting? I've never actually played one due to bad press from friends saying that I would dislike them intensely, I wonder if this might be an ideal place to enter the series?

Well, my experience with the series is limited to mostly AssCreed2: Italian Boogaloo, but my take on it is that the stabby stabby parts of the game pretty much suck, due to the childishly easy nature of the combat.  Also, the story is so convoluted and nonsensical that even Hideo Kojima is shaking his head in disapproval (Pro-tip: Ignore the story).  On the other hand, the game is pretty and does capture the hustle and bustle of city life pretty well, plus it's a pretty bitchin' jumping around on rooftops simulator.  France does look like it has some mighty fine rooftops, so if you like jumping around on rooftops, I'd say go for it.  If you like stabbing people, I'd say look elsewhere (unless they've seriously overhauled the ridiculously easy combat).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm hard pressed to see how this is an inequality in any way that warrants outrage (putting aside how everyone on the Internet is a Daily Mail reader in terms of that). I guess it's inequality in the game universe where those female NPCs can't be assassins....but that universe doesn't actually exist. Women can play the game and enjoy it for what it is, no ?

It's a video game, hence "no need to make a big deal about it".  If women were being denied jobs IRL based solely on their gender then it would be reason to make a big deal about it.  As for the "video games need more female heroes" stance, I don't necessarily disagree, though I'd argue that stabbing people in the neck isn't particularly heroic.

As an aside, I really liked the idea of Assassin's Creed: Liberation, in part due to the fact that the protagonist was a woman of color, and seemed like she could be a truly interesting character.  It's too bad that game was the very definition of mediocrity.

The issue of no female representation in the game is not going to change the situation in Ukraine or address the problem of poverty in Africa, so you guys are spot on  in that regard with it not being a big deal ;)

But since we are talking about gaming on a gaming website and this issue was raised by numerous prominent websites like Eurogamer and RPS I would say it is a big deal in the gaming world for some people. This of course is subjective but the issue of gender equality is relevant and popular talking point, so if you look at it from that perspective its certainly a big deal.

But I ám not suggesting we crucify Ubisoft and boycott there games, all I am saying is this is something they need to pay more attention to :)

John Milton 

But since we are talking about gaming on a gaming website and this issue was raised by numerous prominent websites like Eurogamer and RPS I would say it is a big deal in the gaming world for some people. This of course is subjective but the issue of gender equality is relevant and popular talking point, so if you look at it from that perspective its certainly a big deal.

But I ám not suggesting we crucify Ubisoft and boycott there games, all I am saying is this is something they need to pay more attention to :)'

Except that the reason it's a controversy is only becasue the guys said "we didn't have time to animate a female character" and everyone blew up saying that "Well you had time to animate a MALE character! Rabble rabble rabble!". If they'd said nothing you'd probably be looking at everyone going "Wow, that thar assassins creed game looks mighty fine!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I am okay with fact that companies get bad press, when their PR department tries to give drivel to their fans and press.

Also bad press helps to improve things so I see it as constructive if it is valid

John Milton 

The issue of no female representation in the game is not going to change the situation in Ukraine or address the problem of poverty in Africa, so you guys are spot on  in that regard with it not being a big deal ;)

But I ám not suggesting we crucify Ubisoft and boycott there games, all I am saying is this is something they need to pay more attention to :)

Not much meaning in RPS or Eurogamer bleating about this, one has this nonsense as its 'mission' and it's nice bait and taps the outrage. Just odd to see inequality in a virtual realm as being a problem. Maybe a character creator for every game is the future, heh.

Edited by Malcador

But I ám not suggesting we crucify Ubisoft and boycott there games, all I am saying is this is something they need to pay more attention to :)'

Except that the reason it's a controversy is only becasue the guys said "we didn't have time to animate a female character" and everyone blew up saying that "Well you had time to animate a MALE character! Rabble rabble rabble!". If they'd said nothing you'd probably be looking at everyone going "Wow, that thar assassins creed game looks mighty fine!"

That's a completely ignorant way of looking at the situation. I'm sorry.

Suppose they do pay attention to it and indeed they realize that the majority of their audience is male; because let's be clear, these are not womankind crying outrage. It's game journos that have long jumped into the SJW bandwagon and are pushing their views irregardless.

These people have the flexibility of the Inquisition, there's a problem because there has to be one. If there are no women, then that's a problem and if there are women then they are being misrepresented. 

As I've said before, feminist are free to jump into the ring and create their own games. Journos seem keen to give attention to pet projects that conform to their ideals, why I would have never know about Depression Quest if it wasn't for them. I guess there just aren't enough women choosing to make games, wonder whose fault that is?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It may be, but my point is that you don't have the same level of outrage when a GTA game has the only female characters be entirely twofaced and/or brutally murdered (GTA V... well the other option is bat**** crazy), Or when Watch_dogs has the female characters be without agency of their own (instead having "big brother" save them... hell one is even put in the refrigerator and nobody blinked), Or just get totally left out of the game (Battlefield:Hardline).

So where's the social justice warriors for those games? And why does assassins creed earn the ire of the internet? I can only assume because it was directly pointed out in an interview that "We tried but ran out of time" rather than just flat out ignoring the issue.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It may be, but my point is that you don't have the same level of outrage when a GTA game has the only female characters be entirely twofaced and/or brutally murdered (GTA V... well the other option is bat**** crazy), Or when Watch_dogs has the female characters be without agency of their own (instead having "big brother" save them... hell one is even put in the refrigerator and nobody blinked), Or just get totally left out of the game (Battlefield:Hardline).

So where's the social justice warriors for those games? And why does assassins creed earn the ire of the internet? I can only assume because it was directly pointed out in an interview that "We tried but ran out of time" rather than just flat out ignoring the issue.

Those games got lot of critic about how they handled women, but their developers didn't mistake trying to first give bull**** excuse to sound that they are more inclusive than what they are, but told truth,that they did want make games that only have male protagonist from beginning.

And as I said they deserve every bit bad press what they get from trying such idiotic stunt, especially when their "they correct statement" is full cross against first statement, as in sense that first statement that they had plans from female option for protagonist until quite recently, can't be true at all if second, that they didn't add female option because player always plays their male protagonist, is true.

So I would say that people should give Ubisoft hard time regardless of what they think about inclusion of women protagonist or do Assassin Creed interest them even first place, because bull****ing their customers is thing that should always be looked down, because it is just bad habit which adoption by companies people should try their hardest to prevent.

• Like 2