Update 80: State of the Project - From Alpha to Beta

Where is this gameplay footage you show around at E3???

Ah, "couple of weeks" delayed. Great. Is the stuff too weak to be shown to us? Tweets about it from E3 people indicate the oppsite so I don't get why you don't just show it to us at least a little bit later than to the press people...  :getlost:

Maybe I'm just too spoilt by Larian Studios and Cloud Imperium, who knows...

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

Except both of these companies have done press demos too.

True but both showed gameplay stuff at (almost) the same time to the backers/people and not weeks later...just sayin...

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

True but both showed gameplay stuff at (almost) the same time to the backers/people and not weeks later...

Nope

Snarky, I know. Anyway, believe what you want. The complaint is valid. The constant agressivness and commentary is not. (I mean I think they got it without you repeating the same thing on twitter and the forums)

Edited by C2B

True but both showed gameplay stuff at (almost) the same time to the backers/people and not weeks later...

Nope

Snarky, I know. Anyway, believe what you want. The complaint is valid. The constant agressivness and commentary is not. (I mean I think they got it without you repeating the same thing on twitter and the forums)

*LOL, you don't have to follow my tweets you know... ;)

Posting about the issue in two threads which isn't off-topic is pretty valid if you ask me. Other people constantly praise Obsidian for whatever they do in way more threads. I'm perhaps a bit rude because the issue really angers me and really disappoints me. As I said, I'm a direct and honest person. I say it out loud if I like something or not and I have imo every right to do so. A forum is no automatic-praising-machine...

You on the opposite have no right to judge on me and my posting habits here. 

*off-topic ends

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

Simply awesome. Can't wait to enjoy the finished product.

GTYrS.gif

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

And you are reacting over the top. I do sometimes too.

But thats still what happens.

Also I don't follow you. I follow Obsidian and Adam Brennecke.

Gaming is all about emotions for me...

I can't be reasonable and calm when it comes to my favorite games. Too passionate about that stuff for whatever reason....  :huh:

• Like 1
35167v4.jpg

Looks good for first impressions, and I'm glad to see you're getting along nicely.

Good to see others realized the water and sound thingy too, I didn't want to seem picky especially in such an early and unpolished state.

I played the Dyrford theme while watching the Anslog's Compass shore scene on repeat, very soothing.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Aside from my usual enthusiasm at these updates:

- What programming language is the game written in? I would assume C# given that you're using Unity.

- In the video, the waves sounded like low-bitrate mp3; I don't know if that's an effect of compression or how that sound is generated. This was immediately very distracting to me.

- If I understand well, localization won't start before another 2-3 months? Well, you probably know what you're doing, but that doesn't leave a lot of time to translate, review and VO the reams of text this game contains.

• Like 2

Aside from my usual enthusiasm at these updates:

- What programming language is the game written in? I would assume C# given that you're using Unity.

- In the video, the waves sounded like low-bitrate mp3; I don't know if that's an effect of compression or how that sound is generated. This was immediately very distracting to me.

- If I understand well, localization won't start before another 2-3 months? Well, you probably know what you're doing, but that doesn't leave a lot of time to translate, review and VO the reams of text this game contains.

Unity supports C#, Java, and Python.  In fact the documentation is significantly more robust in Java.

Edited by anameforobsidian

This update was terrible.

Why was the ship not rotting after sitting in that water for an indefinite period of time?

Why did the waves look like smoke?

Why could i hear seagulls but not see any on screen?

Why does the sand not blow and move around?

Why are there no children playing in that rubble?

#Firstworldproblems

/facetious

• Like 5

Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer

Character Art

Our character artists have completed all of the creatures and creature variants we planned for the game (and even a few that we hadn't planned on). They have also created all of the base weapon and armor variants, and now character art is focused on finishing up all of the unique armors and weapons.

Once they complete the last bit of gear, they will move onto creating a few additional head and hair variants for each race. Like the rest of the team, they will also be polishing content for the remainder of the project.

Have a peek at one of our unique armors:

pe-unique-leather-580.jpg

I so wish I could import your armour models into the MMOs I've played/am playing.... especially for the female characters (typically not armour at all). That's amazing detail for a new-old-school iso game. :)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

This update was terrible.

Why was the ship not rotting after sitting in that water for an indefinite period of time?

Why did the waves look like smoke?

Why could i hear seagulls but not see any on screen?

Why does the sand not blow and move around?

Why are there no children playing in that rubble?

#Firstworldproblems

/facetious

It is not finalized scene, which you can notice from such factors like sounds aren't in sync with animations.

So ship is not rotting because it has not yet got final paint over, or it could just be that ship/boat has not been there too long, as tarred wood take quite long time to go bad, which is why it was used in ships and boats at first place,

Foam from waves look smoke/fog because it seems that they use unity's volumetric fog shader to create that effect and they probably do some touch ups to it after they have done their final touch ups for the background.

Scene don't have any character loaded on it at all, which I would say explains also why there is no wildlife in video.

Have you ever been on beach, as sand on beaches usually have water mixed on it (even when it feels dry), which make it composition so heavy that you need very strong wind that sand starts to move with it.

Lack of children is because they are censored from edition that is shown in your country 

#Firstworldsolutions

• Like 1

Great update, glad to hear things are progressing well.

Twin Elms looks gorgeous :)
Will have to wait to watch video (Youtube via proxy is hit'n'miss from here)

Question about armour - looks great as a full set - do boots always come with it or do we have 'boots of speed/grounding/etc' type things to swap out?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Whichever guy it was that mentioned the bitrate of the audio file he's right actually. Had a proper listen then it doesn't sound THAT great (quality) wise, that may be the youtube compression though.

Same with the sound not matching the animation.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Great update and great art!

I wish I could throw more money your way but that silver backer badge was already a pinch to my wallet ... but from a moral support standpoint, consider as though I had upped my pledge (not quite the same thing, I know) :D

I must concur with Zeckul and Sensuki about the quality of the audio sample in the video, but I'm sure the game itself will offer a much higher playback quality and better a/v sync.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I wouldn't mind seeing a before and after screen shot of what these artwork passes look like.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting one such side-by-side comparison in this update.  More food for the nitpicking crowd! ;)

The art direction and production values are amazing. In reflection, when I backed this project, I never expected it to look this amazing. Yeah, there's polish needed in whatever details, but still.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Had a proper listen then it doesn't sound THAT great (quality) wise, that may be the youtube compression though.

The YouTube compression is why I'm not so sure if it's the actual sound effect. Obsidian's videos are all pretty grungily compressed (and Obsidian hates 1080p, for some reason).

EDIT: Apropos of audio, apparently Brandon Cole is doing voicework for the game. I.. don't know the guy, to be honest, but here's his website

Edited by WorstUsernameEver