(mini?) Update tomorrow / PE E3 stuff

Great and we did see nothing at all. It is disappointing. Hope some people leak very early stuff like they did with bloodborne. Maybe then Obsidian will understand that controlled media is much much better than leaked infos.  

Some of you people really underestimate the power of word to mouth.  Games like Minecraft, Flappy Bird, Demon Souls, and Day Z (during the arma II mod days) sold millions, and they did not have any type of marketing budget or hype built from websites.  Regardless of whether journalists report the game or not, I expect PoE to be on the top the steam sales charts on the first day simple due to word of mouth alone.

I agree that when an AAA game is already positively anticipated, negative word of mouth tends to do little. But that does not mean word of mouth is inherently weaker than advertising. I think for a game that is focused on good gameplay rather than impressive visuals (I find PoE plenty beautiful so far, but isometric games do not lend themselves well to dramatic camera angles) good word of mouth will do a lot more than a trailer at E3.

That's really kind of the problem here, though. Obviously, as a crowd-funded game PoE has a bit different status, since there were tens of thousands of people who were willing to shell out money for the concept alone, but the fact still stands that the only reason we really have to expect the game to be good is that the developers have told us so, and every developer tells us so. I'm not saying that Obsidian's not going to deliver what they've promised, but we're really counting our chickens before they've hatched, here: The word-of-mouth isn't based on any of us actually having played the game, but we're instead just passing along what the developers say. That's hype.

That being said, I do recognise that there are plenty of successful games that have thrived on actual word-of-mouth alone. But the point is again that games like Minecraft are doing exactly what I'm advocating: Creating a quality product and trusting it to speak for itself, instead of relying on pre-release promotion. I fully expect PoE to be a very high-quality game with large popular appeal, so I don't see why Obsidian wouldn't do the same. As said, I can't help but feel they're helping prop up the whole rotten system by attending E3: Even if they're not themselves selling empty promises at the event, they're in part validating those sold by others.

I am not going to comment on the previous attitudes in the thread, but after seeing all the tweets linked (thanks sensuki!), I have to admit I am disappointed that I am not able to see any of this as of yet. It is not the end of the world, but, I really can't find any better expression then disappointment, which is a first so far in the development. 

sdsds.png

Do you love book?

... this (the tweet) is grammatically correct...?

I read it as:
- Made for book lovers. (People who love books)

- Made for Balders Gate lovers. (People who love Baldur's Gate)

Here's another one btw:
https://twitter.com/lowellbell/status/477266258413359104

Observation/Theory(?):
- Jeff Green (didn't know about him or who he was but seems to be a big name~long industry experience) sitting at the same table as Josh Sawyer. Does it mean anything? Probably not... but it could....
- Jeff works at a company called Hit Detection, and to put it as simple as possible: They detect hits.

- There was an instance during the chat where Matt(? the guy next to Josh) says "It's a hit!" whilst Josh says something about Pillars of Eternity and Jeff responds "You're hired!" (possibly implying between the lines "You're absolutely right Matt, Pillars of Eternity is a hit").

- Feargus mentions (Paradox+Obsidian partnership reveal at GDC 2014) that he can get the sales figures for the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions by making a phone call. He sounds positive and confident.

Conclusion: "It's a hit!" :p nah, I can't say that until I have seen it... but I am getting a really good vibe.

Edited by Osvir

Games like Minecraft, Flappy Bird, Demon Souls, and Day Z (during the arma II mod days) sold millions

Only 2 of these were worth the rabid fandom... and it certainly wasn't FB or that Demon Souls crud... so I guess your point is "word of mouth produces the same results as targeted marketing"? 

But if everyone did that, nothing would ever change.

You will never change human nature and marketing is fantastically adept at tricking the inner monkey. There is no point in herniating over it. Marketers lie and suckers buy. If humanity were capable of defeating the beast there would be no reality TV. 

I really can't find any better expression then disappointment, which is a first so far in the development. 

Based on what? Tweets? Really? What convinced you that the previewed content was a significant departure from everything we've been exposed to in the copious updates? Or did I miss something again?

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

Games like Minecraft, Flappy Bird, Demon Souls, and Day Z (during the arma II mod days) sold millions

Only 2 of these were worth the rabid fandom... and it certainly wasn't FB or that Demon Souls crud... so I guess your point is "word of mouth produces the same results as targeted marketing"? 

But if everyone did that, nothing would ever change.

You will never change human nature and marketing is fantastically adept at tricking the inner monkey. There is no point in herniating over it. Marketers lie and suckers buy. If humanity were capable of defeating the beast there would be no reality TV. 

I really can't find any better expression then disappointment, which is a first so far in the development. 

Based on what? Tweets? Really? What convinced you that the previewed content was a significant departure from everything we've been exposed to in the copious updates? Or did I miss something again?

It is about the feeling of left out. You know back in your teen days when something happened in school and all your friends were invited to a party except you.  It is a normal human reaction and an understandable one as well.  Yeah of course if you do not care about games or do not care about new infos all the time then you will never understand this feeling. 

Take a look at Divinity: Original sin. Just look at their youtube channel and look at all these updates which so many of them actually provide media. On or of-screen.  They did not already do kickstarter updates they did way more than that. Or Wasteland 2 and how you actually could see  the progress the game made with regular video updates etc and how people get way more excited and interested in these games than people get from this one here.

Obsidian clearly misses some people with a good sense of marketing and how marketing today in the world of YouTube or Twitch actually can benefit your game.  Most people do not care about some boring RSP article in which some journalists praise something.  People love to see actual footage and progress reports in other form than just written text or some "gifs". Doing it like they did feels outdated and disconnected from the fans who love and support these games. 

Does anyone know how many titles were showed behind closed doors?

E3 in General? Most of the AAA stuff. Especially first party stuff except Nintendo. They really did understand this  which baffles my mind that these are the ones that got it right. 

No, that nothing is changed, but I am understandably excited to see actual game play footage, and I haven't yet, thus my disappointment.

E3 in General? Most of the AAA stuff. Especially first party stuff except Nintendo. They really did understand this  which baffles my mind that these are the ones that got it right. 

Sorry, I meant with embargos and stuff, like Pillars of Eternity (No photos, no detailed or in-depth discussion, no videos etc. etc.). I've read tons of people saying "I was behind closed doors at X" and someone else was over at "Y" (I don't recall which titles I've been reading quite a lot on E3 in a short amount of time) and at the same time I see articles talking about it, screenshots, gameplay videos, teasers, in-depth discussion etc. etc.

Let me rephrase:

- How many titles were showed behind closed doors with embargo?

Sorry, I meant with embargos and stuff, like Pillars of Eternity (No photos, no detailed or in-depth discussion, no videos etc. etc.). I've read tons of people saying "I was behind closed doors at X" and someone else was over at "Y" (I don't recall which titles I've been reading quite a lot on E3 in a short amount of time) and at the same time I see articles talking about it, screenshots, gameplay videos, teasers, in-depth discussion etc. etc.

Let me rephrase:

- How many titles were showed behind closed doors with embargo?

BIG AAA Ttitles like MGSV and Bloodborne. So people are most hyped about but also journalists hype the most....

Mostly Sony and MS stuff. Nintendo basically showed everything they had to the actual public though demos.  Other stuff was also on the show floor but maybe had behind closed doors more in depth demos. Like the Witcher 3 for example but at least we have seen like 15-20 minutes of gameplay from these games.  There were however no real embargos since people could talk about these closed door demos as well in great detail. 

If you want a specific number you will most likely not get it. 

Edited by Darji
  • Like 1

I backed the game because i saw myself as a very little piece of brickstone that makes it possible that this game can be developed. That the game industry is how it is is also the fault of the gamers. If the people demand the games we hate or dislike then who´s to blame? The publishers want money and they create it out of the pockets of the new gaming generation that has a different view on what makes a good game as we classic RPG veterans.

I´m looking forward to the next update as i always did and presure i have nothing to throw at obsidian. They are doing what they promised!

• Like 4

I'm asking because I am super curious about these two xD

https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/476631313550569472
http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18418-E3-2014--Day-3-Round-Up---Our-Date-With-Destiny----And-More.html

There was also an article, that I can't find, that spoke about "vows on the show floor" or something like that. I don't know why, but I feel like it is related to one another... I don't think it is Pillars of Eternity. But I've got a hunch a secret surprise is coming.

Edited by Osvir

I'm asking because I am super curious about these two xD

https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/476631313550569472

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18418-E3-2014--Day-3-Round-Up---Our-Date-With-Destiny----And-More.html

There was also an article, that I can't find, that spoke about "vows on the show floor" or something like that. I don't know why, but I feel like it is related to one another... I don't think it is Pillars of Eternity. But I've got a hunch a secret surprise is coming.

These shows are also about  secret meeting and totally not yet announced games as well but people who are invited for these things can not even talk about being there.  as for Joe it was probably about some announced  AAA game he has seen.  But can not talk about many specifics.  I really doubt Joe can get entry to secret meetings. Which I totally get but you still can show stuff. Bloodborne for example even has a gameplay trailer on the showfloor but we have not even seen that one at all....

Edited by Darji

https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/477657417421832193

Well... maybe? :D

EDIT:

Jason Schreier's E3 Highlights (Kotaku, one of the better writers for Kotaku in my opinion)

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/477555016639590400

Yeah it is great that press people get excited about a game. But you know what would even better. If backers also could get way more excited about the game. You know the people who made this whole thing possible. 

• Like 1

We are super excited :) but what many backers aren't doing is hyping it publically or on the internets.

I'm always interested in hearing what more could be done to boost the "hype", "exposure" and "attention" towards Pillars of Eternity (I've commented on some articles, bringing Pillars of Eternity to light, over the year, shared the gameplay teaser, written on some forums etc. etc.) so if you got any ideas on your mind feel free to share.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

Hm, would you (or anyone else) be interested in doing an "exposure+hype drive" fan marketing thing?

It includes:
- Find news articles that talk about RPG's or new games. If you can comment, make an account and mention Pillars of Eternity.
- Find RPG or game forums, Game News Websites (IGN, Gamespot, Gamesradar, Joystiq, Kotaku, N4G etc. etc.), Game Websites (BioWare, CD Projekt Red, inXile, Square-Enix, Capcom etc. etc.), make an account, start a discussion about Pillars of Eternity or comment in relevant threads.
- Start a fan-twitter and hype Pillars of Eternity specifically. You can also just have a twitter account and nag/comment various internet personalities and media personalities about it~ retweet stuff.
- Talk on Facebook & Google+
- Simplest is probably to just "Search" for Pillars of Eternity in Google with various variations. "Pillars of Eternity Upcoming RPG" and then hit F5 or refresh a couple of thousand of times and it should become a more relevant search~ people who search only for "Upcoming RPGs" in Google would get hits on Pillars of Eternity.

Oh, and "Like" this/these page(s):
- https://www.facebook.com/TheWorldOfEternity (is this an Obsidian PoE Official Facebook page?)
https://www.facebook.com/PillarsOfEternityGame (fan page)
https://www.facebook.com/obsidian?fref=ts (Official Obsidian Facebook page)

Edited by Osvir

If backers also could get way more excited about the game. You know the people who made this whole thing possible. 

You're right, you're the only one that cares about the game.

I never said that. I was talking about all the backers that do not participate in these forums, all these people that already have forgotten about this game because there is no exposure at all except a few screens and 2-3 articles.  More people are excited about a Dragon Age 3 right now than about pillars and why? Because they have seen the game. They have seen and heard developer talking about the mechanics while showing gameplay.  Audio Visual concepts are way more exciting than some screens and tons of text most people will not even read to begin with. 

But yeah lets wait till Thursday and look at the comment section of these articles. With maybe 100 or even less comments.  Because many people just do not care without video footage. 

Edited by Darji