Jump to content

BIS Boards Reunion Tour


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I'd actually forgotten about the moderators quitting.  I think that it must have been after that that the moderator teams started talking about full forum moderation rather than each moderator having their own area so that there were more hands to help if something like that happened again.  I remember disagreeing with Rachel about that approach*, but in the end she was right and I was wrong.

*In my defense, I'd only become a moderator to sticky some threads in the BIS PST forums and answer questions, so my approach to moderation was to read every post made in my forums and I couldn't get my mindset to change gears from that at the time.

Moderators were soft in those days ....not like you Mods nowadays, you guys are like steel 

But  I suppose the huge salaries you receive also helps encourage emotional  temperance?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I'd actually forgotten about the moderators quitting.  I think that it must have been after that that the moderator teams started talking about full forum moderation rather than each moderator having their own area so that there were more hands to help if something like that happened again.  I remember disagreeing with Rachel about that approach*, but in the end she was right and I was wrong.

*In my defense, I'd only become a moderator to sticky some threads in the BIS PST forums and answer questions, so my approach to moderation was to read every post made in my forums and I couldn't get my mindset to change gears from that at the time.

I wonder how Rachel is doing these days, I mean... assuming nothing terrible happened, she did quit because she got severely ill. While we were always friendly with each other and helped out posters in the tech support forum with their damaged Baldur's Gate 2 save games, that was about the extent of our interactions, so I really don't know.

Extremist disappeared after a near fatal car crash, came back a bit later and we talked a little, but he quit for good afterwards too.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ariane said:

Ahaha, well... Just gonna take it a year at a time. I remember my pre-teen/teenage years and gosh, those weren't fun. I wouldn't go through that again for love nor money-- although I gotta say finding a community at BIS and online was a good thing for me. Nice to know that there were other nerdy people out there who were further along in life with me and things were going all right for them. 😄 I sort of think people should be able to skip to their 30s, it seems that's where things start getting good.

We're like...adults now. AKA loads of bills to pay, and everything hurts 🙄

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

I wonder how Rachel is doing these days, I mean... assuming nothing terrible happened, she did quit because she got severely ill. While we were always friendly with each other and helped out posters in the tech support forum with their damaged Baldur's Gate 2 save games, that was about the extent of our interactions, so I really don't know.

Extremist disappeared after a near fatal car crash, came back a bit later and we talked a little, but he quit for good afterwards too.

I dunno, I haven't heard from Rachel since she left.  I don't think I knew about Extremist's car crash, either (or if I did it'd long slipped my memory).  Hopefully nothing terrible happened with either of them after leaving.

 

20 minutes ago, Keturah said:

We're like...adults now. AKA loads of bills to pay, and everything hurts 🙄

:( Nothing like being mentally in your twenties and physically...not. 😅

 

15 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I would punch a fur seal in the face to be in my 30's again. Anyone know a good vampire? Asking for a friend.

Wouldn't being vampirerized just freeze you as you are now?

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I dunno, I haven't heard from Rachel since she left.  I don't think I knew about Extremist's car crash, either (or if I did it'd long slipped my memory).  Hopefully nothing terrible happened with either of them after leaving.

 

:( Nothing like being mentally in your twenties and physically...not. 😅

 

Wouldn't being vampirerized just freeze you as you are now?

I'm in the last 8 months of my 30s 😭 I was 19 when I joined BIS. 19!!!! 20 years ago. Holy moly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

is also noteworthy how everybody forgets vampirism is a curse. is only implied in bram stoker stuff, but traditional western/christian vampires mythology holds that during the day, while body is sleeping, your soul is being tormented in hell (edit: technical your soul is constant being tormented in hell, but the vampire is only aware o' this during the day.) then again, pretty much all the oldie versions o' eternal life or eternal youth granting includes some horrible punishment or side effects.

safe bet: if somebody offers you magical powhaz, but especial youth, turn and walk away... alternatively am supposing you could punch the jumped up spiritual used car salesman in the face.

regardless, we earned our advancing decrepitude. made more than a few sacrifices to get to this point. 

HA! Good Fun!

 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Keturah said:

I'm in the last 8 months of my 30s 😭 I was 19 when I joined BIS. 19!!!! 20 years ago. Holy moly. 

Wow!  How time has flown!  Doesn't seem like it should be that long until I start adding...

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

My friend says, good point but still better than getting even older. ;( 

Fair enough! 😄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I would punch a fur seal in the face to be in my 30's again. Anyone know a good vampire? Asking for a friend.

Just buy a Harley like everyone else, man.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Just buy a Harley like everyone else, man.

That got me thinking, what could be my midlife crisis? Motorcycles scare the hell out of me. I dont want by body shoveled up from the side of the highway. Nice sports car? Nah. Side girlfriend? Hahahahaha. Golfing? Its "ok" but its really just me and the boys having a good time. Maybe I need more hummingbird feeders? I love watching those little rascals and one even landed yesterday!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

I dunno, I haven't heard from Rachel since she left.  I don't think I knew about Extremist's car crash, either (or if I did it'd long slipped my memory).  Hopefully nothing terrible happened with either of them after leaving.

Me too. I was kind of hoping someone here knows something about Rachel. Extremist was fine from what he told me, just busy with physical therapy and some residual pain, things like that are to be expected obviously. Then Interplay died and that was that.

Hm, unless you forgot he probably didn't tell everyone about the accident. Eh, I guess that's fine, it's been 18 or so years now anyway. Extremist was the first person to reply to my first post back on the BiS boards, and it was not a friendly one. I had a problem with Baldur's Gate 2's map screen crashing on me due to note overload, and he assumed I was cheesing with Yoshimo's infamous dual class infinite trap bug (which I did not even know about, at the time) and thought he should straighten me out, in his wonderfully straightforward manner. :yes:

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

That got me thinking, what could be my midlife crisis? Motorcycles scare the hell out of me. I dont want by body shoveled up from the side of the highway. Nice sports car? Nah. Side girlfriend? Hahahahaha. Golfing? Its "ok" but its really just me and the boys having a good time. Maybe I need more hummingbird feeders? I love watching those little rascals and one even landed yesterday!

My husband's seems to be a combination of bird feeders and board games. 

  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

That got me thinking, what could be my midlife crisis? Motorcycles scare the hell out of me. I dont want by body shoveled up from the side of the highway. Nice sports car? Nah. Side girlfriend? Hahahahaha. Golfing? Its "ok" but its really just me and the boys having a good time. Maybe I need more hummingbird feeders? I love watching those little rascals and one even landed yesterday!

Play Fortnite like the kids ?

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'd vote for making an ass of yourself on TikTok like the kids. :p

Real men make an ass of themselves in forums.  Wait.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Me too. I was kind of hoping someone here knows something about Rachel. Extremist was fine from what he told me, just busy with physical therapy and some residual pain, things like that are to be expected obviously. Then Interplay died and that was that.

Hm, unless you forgot he probably didn't tell everyone about the accident. Eh, I guess that's fine, it's been 18 or so years now anyway. Extremist was the first person to reply to my first post back on the BiS boards, and it was not a friendly one. I had a problem with Baldur's Gate 2's map screen crashing on me due to note overload, and he assumed I was cheesing with Yoshimo's infamous dual class infinite trap bug (which I did not even know about, at the time) and thought he should straighten me out, in his wonderfully straightforward manner. :yes:

Yeah, he may have never told me.  Would be nice if someone had an update on some of the old forum-goers.  I hear from GM and Ace (aka ApocalypseCow) from time to time, they're doing okay.  But I don't think I have contacts for a lot of the old BIS boardies.  I think about Sargy and when he just stopped posting the last time right after talking about getting his computer up and running and how no one had his contact information to follow up.  The Coconut Clan site seems to finally be gone as well.

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

That got me thinking, what could be my midlife crisis? Motorcycles scare the hell out of me. I dont want by body shoveled up from the side of the highway. Nice sports car? Nah. Side girlfriend? Hahahahaha. Golfing? Its "ok" but its really just me and the boys having a good time. Maybe I need more hummingbird feeders? I love watching those little rascals and one even landed yesterday!

With more bird feeders, you get more opportunities to yell at neighborhood kids who are scaring your boards away by being to close to your yard, so that seems about right.  "GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU'RE SCARING THE BIRDS!" said really loudly so if any birds had been around they'd be properly startled.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Yeah, he may have never told me.  Would be nice if someone had an update on some of the old forum-goers.  I hear from GM and Ace (aka ApocalypseCow) from time to time, they're doing okay.  But I don't think I have contacts for a lot of the old BIS boardies.  I think about Sargy and when he just stopped posting the last time right after talking about getting his computer up and running and how no one had his contact information to follow up.  The Coconut Clan site seems to finally be gone as well.

With more bird feeders, you get more opportunities to yell at neighborhood kids who are scaring your boards away by being to close to your yard, so that seems about right.  "GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU'RE SCARING THE BIRDS!" said really loudly so if any birds had been around they'd be properly startled.

I'm in touch with a few others on Facebook, although I forget some of their old forum names as I only know their real names now 😂 Um, Charcoal, Jolyon/Jiles, Veloxyll and Missy are all good on there...probably some others too 😅

Edited by Keturah
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Gromnir dont feel guilty about Volo leaving the forum, its not your fault ....volo didnt even say goodbye and I was disappointed he left. I use to like volo and appreciated some of his comments. I didnt always agree with what he said and how he repeated certain things but he made debatable  points at times 

But you raise an interesting question, who is the oldest active member on this forum? Is it indeed Amentep ...I  would be interested in knowing?

 

So I'm randomly checking in, a decade later, and the first thing I read is that Volo stopped posting. Rarely in the history of the Internet has a single person been responsible for such an amazing waste of bits and bandwidth as volo, good news indeed...

Now if we only can get Karzak and Newc to come back things can get interesting again

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Keturah said:

We're like...adults now. AKA loads of bills to pay, and everything hurts 🙄

Ain't that true. Especially the things hurting part.

And Majestic, may well have been me. I think I started making up for that pretty immediately in my 20s. 😅

  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 6:55 PM, Darius Talidasius said:

I can't believe how many old names I see in this thread.

 

Sargalleth, Chairchucker, ol' Deraldin ... 

This is Darius from olllld school Black Isle Forums. I hope you all are well, 20ish years later.

Hah! Had a discussion with a friend tonight about old forums I used to frequent so I logged in here to see if the member number was still visible even though I was several months late to the party here and saw someone liked one of my posts this week so I figured I should drop in again and say hello. How's it been man? Used to talk outside the forum a lot and I still remember a few of the conversations we had back in those days. Hope everything is going well for you these days.

It's always weird to come back here and see all these names that I remember from years and years ago. Even those of you that have changed them in the intervening time. Not to mention with all the communities I've come and gone from in the intervening years, popping back here to see that Amentep is not only still around, but is still volunteering his time as a mod after all these years. It's definitely nice to have confirmation that people are doing well considering I know a few people that I lost contact with were not doing so well when the dropped off the face of the internet. (Darius, remember Blaxar? Pretty sure the last thing I heard from him was he was in a car accident before he just stopped showing up online.)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you guys really miss Volo, you can always go to RPG Codex. He still posts there and he's probably not the only old BIS forumite who does. 

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...