BIS Boards Reunion Tour

now that vol is no longer posting, @Amentep may be the last o' the genuine old guard. 

"Come on. Stop talking nonsense and lock up."

"I am of those who like to stay late at the cafe," the
older waiter said. "With all those who do not want to
go to bed. With all those who need a light for the
night."

"I want to go home and into bed."

"We are of two different kinds." the older waiter said.

He was now dressed to go home. "It is not only
a question of youth and confidence although those
things are very beautiful. Each night I am reluctant to
close up because there may be some one who needs the
cafe."

"Hombre, there are bodegas open all night long."

"You do not understand. This is a clean and pleasant
cafe. It is well lighted. The light is very good and also,
now, there are shadows of the leaves."

"Good night," said the younger waiter.

"Good night," the other said. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I miss Volo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There's a few other oldies around (albeit I think there are some posters who predate the BIS forum :shifty:). Some don't post but still PM.

Sargy hasn't been around since his last post in this thread AFAIK.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

There's a few other oldies around (albeit I think there are some posters who predate the BIS forum :shifty:). Some don't post but still PM.

Sargy hasn't been around since his last post in this thread AFAIK.

I remember you as well. Ooolld days.

Sheesh ... Some People!

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

There's a few other oldies around (albeit I think there are some posters who predate the BIS forum :shifty:).

as neverwinter nights were referenced, we had assumed an inclusion o' the older interplay boards... spring 2000 or thereabouts were the announcement? josh don't post anymore, and he were the web guy for ps:t when we first began frequenting albeit not as Gromnir. other than yourself, am having a difficult time identifying another individual who posts with any frequency from those days.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
repeat word fail
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

now that vol is no longer posting, @Amentep may be the last o' the genuine old guard. 

"Come on. Stop talking nonsense and lock up."

"I am of those who like to stay late at the cafe," the
older waiter said. "With all those who do not want to
go to bed. With all those who need a light for the
night."

"I want to go home and into bed."

"We are of two different kinds." the older waiter said.

He was now dressed to go home. "It is not only
a question of youth and confidence although those
things are very beautiful. Each night I am reluctant to
close up because there may be some one who needs the
cafe."

"Hombre, there are bodegas open all night long."

"You do not understand. This is a clean and pleasant
cafe. It is well lighted. The light is very good and also,
now, there are shadows of the leaves."

"Good night," said the younger waiter.

"Good night," the other said. 

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir dont feel guilty about Volo leaving the forum, its not your fault ....volo didnt even say goodbye and I was disappointed he left. I use to like volo and appreciated some of his comments. I didnt always agree with what he said and how he repeated certain things but he made debatable  points at times 

But you raise an interesting question, who is the oldest active member on this forum? Is it indeed Amentep ...I  would be interested in knowing?

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

HA!

am not feeling guilty 'bout vol. don't actual miss him that much either. we woulda' missed vol ~2000-2018 or so, but not the more recent vol. still, it would be unfortunate if something unpleasant in rl prevents him from posting. nevertheless, and we don't feel guilty admitting, we don't actual miss the recent vol. 

as for this board, is a hairsplitting question. is still more than a few folks here who joined the obsidian boards day 1... winter o' 2004? however, this board were kinda the natural descendent o' the bis boards, and there were a couple interplay iterations which existed previous to the bis boards. neverwinter were released 2002 and were not developed by bis and it weren't particular relevant to the obsidian boards, so unless the earlier poster were actual referencing nwn2, then am needing assume he were talking pre obsidian boards and pre winter o' 2004... am suspecting if you want the exact date, then look for joined date for amentep or vol... is possible fionavar had a join date a few days earlier than the day 1 for ordinary posters, but we ain't bothered to look and am not genuine curious enough to check.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

HA!

am not feeling guilty 'bout vol. don't actual miss him that much either. we woulda' missed vol ~2000-2018 or so, but not the more recent vol. still, it would be unfortunate if something unpleasant in rl prevents him from posting. nevertheless, and we don't feel guilty admitting, we don't actual miss the recent vol. 

This is a good post to summarize how you feel about volo leaving, I know at the end you and him use to argue about certain points but he did use to generalize about things you didnt say and for some reason he became fixated on you and your views on BLM\Antifa which I never thought was fair and accurate to you because not once can I ever recall you saying things like " its okay for Antifa to kill and attack white people  " ....or other things he accused you of

But yes for me I just want to make sure he is okay in RL, I asked Gorthfuscious in November 2020 if he had heard from volo and he said volo had logged on so at least he was well back then. But I would still like to know nowadays if he is okay 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But yes for me I just want to make sure he is okay in RL, I asked Gorthfuscious in November 2020 if he had heard from volo and he said volo had logged on so at least he was well back then. But I would still like to know nowadays if he is okay 

You can simply hover your cursor over <anyones name> and see their "last visited" date.

• Like 1

as for this board, is a hairsplitting question. is still more than a few folks here who joined the obsidian boards day 1... winter o' 2004? however, this board were kinda the natural descendent o' the bis boards, and there were a couple interplay iterations which existed previous to the bis boards.

There was a relaunched Interplay forum in between the old BiS boards and this one too, when Interplay decided to close the BiS boards and merge them into their own. Interplay's forum closed a handful of days after this one opened, because that's exactly the time between the first registrations here and mine (three days, by the looks of it). :)

It's been a really long while ago indeed. Brings back a couple of memories, like Interplay wanting to axe the entire forum over the Fallout cesspool, Tess and Missy leaving over Interplay not axing the YOP cesspool. Pete stepping down as Baldur's Gate forum moderator over the drama. 

Although, admittedly, if the criteria for being the old guard is having posted in 2000, then I'm a couple of months too late. I joined in early (?) 2001. :(

we woulda' missed vol ~2000-2018 or so, but not the more recent vol. still, it would be unfortunate if something unpleasant in rl prevents him from posting. nevertheless, and we don't feel guilty admitting, we don't actual miss the recent vol. 

Yeah.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ugh.  I just remembered what it was like to be a moderator on the Interplay forums when Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (the console game) was announced.  That was a rough weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I like that this keeps resurrecting itself every couple of years or so, although at this point I am Somewhat Offline. It's just nice to know that people are still around and kicking (for the most part-- I do wish Sargy would pop his head up again).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Ugh.  I just remembered what it was like to be a moderator on the Interplay forums when Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (the console game) was announced.  That was a rough weekend.

What happened, go into details if you want ? It sounds like a good story

• Hmmm 1

John Milton 

Just now, BruceVC said:

What happened, go into details if you want ? It sounds like a good story

Its not really a good story.  More of an "internet being the internet" story. The die hard Fallout fans didn't like the announcement of Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, and flooded the forum with real people and alts complaining about the game.  As is typical of many forums, volunteer mods couldn't ban users, only one of the admins could, who were Interplay employees.

My memory is the announcement was made on a Friday.  So as these new posters/sock puppets began hitting the forums Friday evening (and Saturday and Sunday) there was no one around to ban the users, so all the mods could do is try to remove offending posts.  And there were loads of forum rule breaking content (text posts, links, images, etc.) sent in protest of the game announcement and its trailer.  However, there was no one around to ban the users who were continually posting abusively and worse we didn't have anyone who could do anything about the users who decided to make their avatars into disturbing anti-Fallout images (like the guy whose avatar was F:BoS producer Chuck Cuevas' head disappearing into Goatse (if you don't know, do not look up) man's anus.  So it was just a weekend doing nothing but removing 100s of posts.

1 minute ago, Ariane said:

I'm halfway through being pregnant! Wish I were all the way through, but... what can ya do?

I'm not sure there is anything you can do at this point but bear with it!  Congratulations, though, and hope maybe it gets better for you as you head into the second half!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ariane said:

I'm halfway through being pregnant! Wish I were all the way through, but... what can ya do?

Aaaah congrats! Yeah the growing bit isn't fun. I'd tell you it gets easier but I'm currently afflicted by a Pre-tern, and FML 🙄

• Like 1

The new generation... the "Coronials". Aka "The Quaranteeens" when they get older 😛

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

26 minutes ago, Keturah said:

Aaaah congrats! Yeah the growing bit isn't fun. I'd tell you it gets easier but I'm currently afflicted by a Pre-tern, and FML 🙄

Ahaha, well... Just gonna take it a year at a time. I remember my pre-teen/teenage years and gosh, those weren't fun. I wouldn't go through that again for love nor money-- although I gotta say finding a community at BIS and online was a good thing for me. Nice to know that there were other nerdy people out there who were further along in life with me and things were going all right for them. 😄 I sort of think people should be able to skip to their 30s, it seems that's where things start getting good.

26 minutes ago, Gorth said:

The new generation... the "Coronials". Aka "The Quaranteeens" when they get older 😛

Haha, yup. Not quite sure about the timing of all of this myself, but I guess it happens when it happens!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ariane said:

I'm guessing that means you no longer have perfect purity test scores?

Unless that wasn't you, then I apologize, but I'm like 99% certain, but even my memory fades after two decades. :)

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

My memory is the announcement was made on a Friday.  So as these new posters/sock puppets began hitting the forums Friday evening (and Saturday and Sunday) there was no one around to ban the users, so all the mods could do is try to remove offending posts.  And there were loads of forum rule breaking content (text posts, links, images, etc.) sent in protest of the game announcement and its trailer.  However, there was no one around to ban the users who were continually posting abusively and worse we didn't have anyone who could do anything about the users who decided to make their avatars into disturbing anti-Fallout images (like the guy whose avatar was F:BoS producer Chuck Cuevas' head disappearing into Goatse (if you don't know, do not look up) man's anus.  So it was just a weekend doing nothing but removing 100s of posts.

The Fallout forum moderators quit in droves, and we constantly kept appointing new ones, some of which turned out to be just as bad as the trolls and agitators. That really was a fun time. I mean, for you guys. I just had the popcorn and was glad that wasn't my responsibility. The BG community was nice and quiet, for the most part.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'd actually forgotten about the moderators quitting.  I think that it must have been after that that the moderator teams started talking about full forum moderation rather than each moderator having their own area so that there were more hands to help if something like that happened again.  I remember disagreeing with Rachel about that approach*, but in the end she was right and I was wrong.

*In my defense, I'd only become a moderator to sticky some threads in the BIS PST forums and answer questions, so my approach to moderation was to read every post made in my forums and I couldn't get my mindset to change gears from that at the time.

• Like 1