BIS Boards Reunion Tour

I had loads of fun doing the Swordsman Competitions, that was WAY more fun than coursework. I think I still have the ones I did saved (I poured a lot into them!), ah, the Home Erotic Undead may get us all yet <3

"HOW THE **** CAN A SOFA BECOME ONE OF THE HOMO-EROTIC UNDEAD? WELL???"

I think there's a far bigger question right there regarding how anone/thing can become undead at all, let alone a homo erotic sort of undead

• Like 1

I think what I liked most about the BIS forums was that the devs were part of the community. Even Feargus posted semi-regularly

What happened to Puuk?

...l believes Perky (real nom Damien Foletto) works fer microsoft now...one o' the things I misses the most 'bout the ol' boards was how active all the Devs was... Perky, Briareus, Maldonado, Kevin Osburn, Bloodlust, Sawyer, Fergie, Jessica (*Homer Drool Face*), Proxi (anyone else but me remembers him??...Volo should, at least, he made the rounds on Tiax's ol' Boards once Black Isle let him go), etc...helped make us waht we was, they did, an' ne'er got enuff credit fer it...

Heavy lurker back then and was only semi-active posting here and there; mostly in the Bio-centric boards all the way back to development of TotSC.

That said, I stayed for the trolls. Good entertainment. Visceris, Volo, Grommy, Karzak, Sarggy et al. Plus Gaider and Sawyer were very active as well.

...ahhh, the Trollin'...ya know, Josh ne'er got enuff credit fer bein' one helluva troll in his own right...an' Mystake; Gods luv his twisted li'l beak, that boy was funny as hell...an' Gods Rest Visc; a brother in arms that went too soon, more's the pity... ;(

I had loads of fun doing the Swordsman Competitions, that was WAY more fun than coursework. I think I still have the ones I did saved (I poured a lot into them!), ah, the Home Erotic Undead may get us all yet <3

You posted it here. Good times. That damn HEU took me down in the semi-finals. *shakes fist*

...sorry I missed that, damn good fer a laugh!!... :lol:

"HOW THE **** CAN A SOFA BECOME ONE OF THE HOMO-EROTIC UNDEAD? WELL???"

I think there's a far bigger question right there regarding how anone/thing can become undead at all, let alone a homo erotic sort of undead

...ya best be ready fer the Zombie Apocalypse, 'specially if'n theys Homo-Erotic...they won't be wantin' Brains, that be fer sure...hehehe... :dancing:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Edited by Sargallath Abraxium

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I think what I liked most about the BIS forums was that the devs were part of the community. Even Feargus posted semi-regularly

What happened to Puuk?

...l believes Perky (real nom Damien Foletto) works fer microsoft now...one o' the things I misses the most 'bout the ol' boards was how active all the Devs was... Perky, Briareus, Maldonado, Kevin Osburn, Bloodlust, Sawyer, Fergie, Jessica (*Homer Drool Face*), Proxi (anyone else but me remembers him??...Volo should, at least, he made the rounds on Tiax's ol' Boards once Black Isle let him go), etc...helped make us waht we was, they did, an' ne'er got enuff credit fer it...

Yeah, the dev's were more active back then, including Feargus. And it was really interesting reading his posts. With things like what Black Isle did with QA on the Baldurs Gate series.

• Like 1

Basically everybody came together to talk about how great I was. It was a little embarrassing, but everybody has their cross to bear, you know?

Don't make me repost that webcam video of you monologuing to us.

I had my first embarassing internet crush (Ravenskya where are you!)

Turned up the last time Sargy did one of his annual nostalgia trips, so you might get another shot!

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

What did you  use to discuss back in the day? What were the pertinent discussions, was it about gaming, social justice issues, politics..the reason I ask is I am fascinated by what was possibly one of the salient reasons for your kinship

The Ye Olde political forum discussed things like Israel/Palestine, 9/11, the Iraq War, Science, Religion, Evolution, History, Philosophy, anything political and for the most part was well behaved. Even Josh posted in it a fair bit.

There was also more discussions in each game forum for games like Fallout, Baldurs Gate, IWD, Torment, etc. You also had the hardcore Fallout fans which were funny to see. I also posted in the BG and IWD forums.

And general feedback was good with talking to the dev's. Even if they copped some criticism from different posters, they had pretty thick skin. The dev's also showed photos with different events, even stuff they did in the office like Halloween. It's was pretty good.

It was a lot more active than these boards as you have so many different games, a lot of different types of gamers including hardcore gamers (eg.Fallout) and social media was very different back then, almost non-existent to some degree. Sites like Facebook and My Space weren't around back then.

• Like 2

I had my first embarassing internet crush (Ravenskya where are you!)

Turned up the last time Sargy did one of his annual nostalgia trips, so you might get another shot!

...well, not really Annual...well, OK, pretty much...this one's Gina's idea, though; she's the brains o' this operation (an' the Beauty), I's just the...well...I's here... :bat:

But to answer Bruce's question, I arrived on the pretext of following IWD2's development, and because I had time to burn during my first year of Uni - doing a computing oriented degree meant I had a lot of spare time in the computer labs (as opposed to what Arts students do :p). I mostly lurked at the beginning, hence the relatively late join date of June 2002. Not that post counts existed at that point, but I was still relatively dedicated to study back then so I'd estimate low triple digits anyway during the actual BIS period. Since then though, it's all about the non game-specific boards - I've not really paid much attention to any game-specific development since IWD2 (even for PoE my posting is minimal)

Anyway, by the second year of Uni I'd kind of found my level of commitment: the 20:80 rule and all that, so I was happy to fritter away even more time. It got to the ridiculous point where I think I was the most prolific poster on the IPLY forum, although mercifully perhaps most of those posts were content-free junk and poor attempts at humour.

• Like 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

...BIS Pumpkin Party, circa 2001 (or 2002, canna remember)... :biggrin:

post-371-0-05113200-1403135316_thumb.jpg

I can understand one reason why the dev's don't post as much as they used too. Feargus' Kickstarter comment when I asked him about Publishers caused a **** storm and spread like wild fire on gaming media sites. And a lot of speculation from gamers on who the publisher was. Wanting to know the name of the publisher never crossed my mind. I asked a question, Feargus answered. That was it as far as I was concerned.

There wasn't really anything like that back then. I think Josh made a comment about D&D or some rules system which was controversial. But other than that the dev's were pretty open and approachable. Now, they have to be careful with everything they say. Kickstarter has changed that and we're seeing the dev's open up and interact a little, but it's not the same as it used to be. Different times.

Another good thing back then was Chris Avellone posting quite a bit and doing the Fallout Bible. Now we never see Chris post here.

• Like 1

...oh, an' HEYA, KIDDO!!... :w00t:

~ tackles Ariane with a not-a-dirty-old-man wemic-hug ~

:devil:

Haha, haven't had anyone call me kiddo in ages. :D Of course, might be because I'm getting perilously close to the big 3-0.... 

Bruce, as for the whole why everyone met and stuck around thing... Man, it was a good community. Everyone had interests in common, which was nice. It was like a built in conversation starter. And I suppose I was one of the younger people at the time, and it was kinda nice to get advice and uh... wisdom? from slightly older people. I felt like I had a bunch of really awesome older brothers and sisters. It might just be the weirdest kind of family out there, but it was and is awesome. It has gotten harder to keep in touch, but at the same time, it feels like everyone can just pick up where they left off. And stuff extended outside of the internet as well. I think I bought Onkel a birthday present once! And I think I've written a few cards. Hard to remember, it was a while ago... Oh, and I met Gangor in person when he was in Canada. That was fun! 

• Like 2

Mostly I loved you all because you were silly and real in a way you rarely see on the internet anymore.

I was around before there *was* an Off-Topic board for Baldur's Gate (1999).  It was a less-than-wonderful time in my life.  Playing with you all -- and tormenting the more entertainingly dumb folk who wandered in -- was often the best part of my days.  Politics at the start, but then WWOT (especially when we migrated to Missy's).  When things in my life got brighter, i just expanded my influence.   :)

...soooooo many peoples I hopes show theys faces in 'ere soon!!... :aiee:

...random 5 atm:

howling1

Strider

Caelis

Rayt

Onkel

Honourable Mention: Melodie the Lady Paladin

...lists, peoples...LISTS!!... :w00t:

• Like 1

...random ol' sig quote o' the day:

You're right Volo, we should have spent an extra 5 months tweaking the 2d engine to simulate a 'ceiling', in order to allow players those 2 seconds of realism, instead of providing the closest equivalent. We'll make sure to do lots of these in the future so our projects can last 10 years, and you're happy with the realism of it. ~ Bloodlust

...hehehe...I's 'avin' waaaaaaaayyyyy to much fun wit' this...hehehe... :dancing:

• Like 1

So, heard there was someone raisin' a big stink about a reunion of sorts for all the old BIS bums. Thought I'd show my ugly virtual mug after a little hiatus.

Some sausage decided to take my old name, so I'll have to do things a little backward.

-ApocalypseCow

• Like 4

http://www.elainehughes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Photo%20Album/boys.htm

http://www.elainehughes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Photo%20Album/girls.htm

...methinks we be needin' updates 'ere as well...hehehe... :biggrin:

• Like 3

I'm amazed that given that it looks like those pages are hosted on free ISP webspace that they're somehow still up. Has Missy really not changed ISPs in well over a decade?

Haha!!  I am as amazed as you are. "Blueyonder" doesn't even exist anymore. 

• Like 1

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Basically everybody came together to talk about how great I was. It was a little embarrassing, but everybody has their cross to bear, you know?

I'm still saving my virginity for you. 

Get an inflatable doll, put my face on it. It's 90% of the real thing!

...ya fergot damn sexy... :blink:

A man's got to have modesty, Sargie, otherwise he's just a braggart.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

You posted it here. Good times. That damn HEU took me down in the semi-finals. *shakes fist*

Haha. Yeah I just found some on my laptop, I don't have the 1st one I did, but I have parts 2, 3 and 4. I think #2 was the best one

I never won that bitch. Blatant favouritism of the part of the referee.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

So, heard there was someone raisin' a big stink about a reunion of sorts for all the old BIS bums. Thought I'd show my ugly virtual mug after a little hiatus.

Some sausage decided to take my old name, so I'll have to do things a little backward.

-ApocalypseCow

Yeah seems kind of odd that someone took your old name then never even used it. What were they thinking? :blink:

• Like 1

-ApocalypseCow

HEY! What have you been up to Ace?

• Like 1