Here is a recap on what we know on the watcher, might have spoilers so just in-case I am posting it here and in spoiler tags:

For those who recall this whole thing started with a Teaser. Which mentions: "This world wants to drag us down, it does. It made you a Watcher. No one asks for that. And the weight, that guilt they want to hang around my neck, you don't have to carry it one more step. You think they won't let you rest, but it's not up to them. It never was." and the phrase "There is no sleep for the Watcher", which is later repeated in one of the trailers.

Then in update #65, we learned that: "Animancers studied folk legends about figures called Watchers who reportedly were able to see lost souls and perceive an individual's ancestral lives, but claimants to that title were typically charlatans at best or mentally unstable and violent at worst."

Now, I noticed on the obsidian site that the alt for the "Endless Paths of Od Nua" picture is "The Story of the Watcher" And we know that there is "a storyline associated with the Endless Paths of Od Nua, but it is separate from the main plot".

So my guess is that either the 'Od Nua' the crazed builder of our 15 level mega-dungeon castle is the watcher and we are going to explore his story, or eventually we become the watcher. (which might gives us a similar ability to "speak with dead" in torment)

Edited by Mor
  • Like 6

maybe we're od nua reincarnated? Yeah prophet reborn :p

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

An insomniac?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

(edit: guess good file working is beyond me -_-)

Also, props to Lephys for a good pun.

Edited by Kjaamor

Actually I read all that to mean that "Watcher" is just a title given to people with a specific skill set or people whose lives contain certain circumstances maybe?  In other words there is no individual Watcher, but a group of various people who are Watchers.  Your character in the game very clearly is one, as Obsidian has already said.

• Like 3

But is it the Player Character who is the Watcher and part of this special organization... or is it the Player himself who is an omnipresent figure in the world who, quite literally, is a "Watcher".

A guardian perhaps, a direct influence, if we were to believe that "souls" exist and that we have some ourselves~ or simply in a fantasy imaginative way, wouldn't "our" souls be part of the whole PoE soul-punk-fantasy? :p

The "Watcher" never rests, chronologically if we were to look at the game world... it is only the Characters who rest, but the unseen "presence" that the Player embodies that controls and manipulates the characters in the world never "rests" whilst progressing the game/story.

"No rest for the Watcher".

The Watcher, in this case, would then truly be a force that manipulates with "fate" and can decide whether the world will go to hell, or to heaven.

The Watcher is you!  :p

EDIT: I recall there being some organization (I think)~ the above is a bit of a joke. I think the Watcher(s) are somehow figures in the shadows who simply observe the world take shape. Scholars and natural philosophers. Not quite like Grey Wardens who directly takes part in politics, but this is more of "shadow group" that may perhaps not conspire in any way, but guides or illuminates current generations with knowledge and ideas of history and perhaps even having abilities to see into the future or the past.

If they had this power, to see into future or the past, it could explain potential "Flashback" moments in the game: If there are going to be any (We had a discussion about "Flashbacks" a long time ago). Basically being able to go into the history of your Companions and play as your Companions only.

An example I've used many times before, for anyone who haven't seen it yet:
- You meet Minsc in Nashkel, and when you talk with him you get a meta-choice at one point:
- A) "Help Minsc save Dynaheir" (Go to the Kobold Fort and save Dynaheir with Minsc in your party)
- B) "Ask Minsc how he saved Dynaheir" (Flashback, you are taken instantly to the Kobold Fort and you are Minsc alone by the bridge before meeting the two Ogre's, to save Dynaheir). See C for what happens after Flashback is finished.
- C) "Ask Minsc where Dynaheir is right now" (Minsc joins, and Dynaheir can be found/spawns at the inn in Nashkel where you can recruit her as well. Attempting to leave Nashkel with Minsc recruited will make him leave and perhaps say something like "Friend! I can not leave without Dynaheir, perhaps we will see each other again!" or whatever~ Minsc & Dynaheir can be found in Baldur's Gate if you leave Nashkel after this choice has been made and you don't recruit them)

Edited by Osvir

A curse/blessing that makes the PC unique is an Obsidian thing. They had it in KOTOR 2, they had it in MotB and arguably even NWN2 OC, and they riffed off it in South Park. I suspect strongly that the Watcher thing is very much in the same vein. I don't think it's going to be an organization, 'cuz that's more of a BioWare thing.

So yeah, the PC becomes the Watcher through some event beyond his or her control, which confers both major benefits and major drawbacks.

• Like 6

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

^

*ring-a*ding*ding*ding*

Personally I think that we have a winner.

EDIT:

"Help Minsc save Dynaheir" (Go to the Kobold Fort and save Dynaheir with Minsc in your party)

'Twas gnolls, not kobolds ;)

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

@Osvir, if we are the watcher (or on the way there), then we could have an ability to "see lost souls and perceive an individual's ancestral lives", not exactly flashbacks, but it can be an additional way they can relate events in narrative, after all there is a limit to how many diary pages of former adventures they can leave conveniently placed on each dungeon floor ;)

If we aren't the watcher, then we are likely seeking him out due to whatever supernatural phenomena we observed. With all the focus on souls, I suspect that this phenomena is the Biamhac and has something todo with either sheering part of soul or possession by a lost soul.

A curse/blessing that makes the PC unique is an Obsidian thing. They had it in KOTOR 2, they had it in MotB and arguably even NWN2 OC, and they riffed off it in South Park. I suspect strongly that the Watcher thing is very much in the same vein. I don't think it's going to be an organization

It certainly seems that way, a long time must have passed since the last Watcher for the folklore to become so obscure, still it is possible that its some kind of secret/dying organization e.g. the Witchers, which might also explain why would anyone give some unknown newcomer to take over stronghold and the surrounding areas, raising taxes and levies .. Edited by Mor

Sawyer's mini-plot-hints have indicated that they don't want to tie the PC to any particular faction or background.  He/She is merely somebody who happens to be in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time and witnesses (or maybe...  Watches?) an occurrence of some cosmic significance that sets off the rest of the plot. 

(This is pretty much the same initial plot-hook concept as was proposed for The Black Hound)

Edited by Enoch

So yeah, the PC becomes the Watcher through some event beyond his or her control, which confers both major benefits and major drawbacks.

Maybe if we're lucky, it'll confer major benefits and only lance-corporal drawbacks. 8)

That, and what if "watcher" is simply the term for a watch/clock-maker/repairman? There's no rest for the watcher, 'cause everyone keeps breaking their darn timepieces. u_u

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Three sweet switched Swiss witches
Watch three washed Swiss witch Swatch watch switches.
Which sweet switched Swiss witch watches
Which washed Swiss witch Swatch watch switch?

There's no rest for the watcher, 'cause everyone keeps breaking their darn timepieces. u_u

I'll have my eye on you.

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

A curse/blessing that makes the PC unique is an Obsidian thing. They had it in KOTOR 2, they had it in MotB and arguably even NWN2 OC, and they riffed off it in South Park. I suspect strongly that the Watcher thing is very much in the same vein. I don't think it's going to be an organization, 'cuz that's more of a BioWare thing.

The Watcher.. I like it !!

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

It would be awesome if it turned out the Watchers were a complete rip-off of the Witchers. :biggrin:

I don't about that.. the obvious similarities to the Witcher and torment is the reason why I wasn't comfortable calling it as the "Story of the Watcher", offering an alternative possibility first. Edited by Mor

I can't even look at the title of this topic without this playing in my head. >_>

Anyways, barely even enough information to speculate, but my guess is that the Watchers are individuals who possess a unique supernatural ability, mostly likely related to communicating with and/or controlling spirits. I'm outruling more mundane skills since that would make it a trait one can choose. For the same reason, I find it unlikely it's a condition inflicted by any mortal agent. Deities, possession by ancient spirits and otherwordly lineage are still on the table. The Animancy bit further makes it seem to me that if there is an organisation for and/or by Watchers, it's a secret one.

Edited by Sad Panda

I'll have my eye on you.

...Said the physicist when confronting the thief of his stolen particle. 8)

"I'll have my ion, you!"

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

What a "Watcher" is was described in Update 65: Animancers studied folk legends about figures called Watchers who reportedly were able to see lost souls and perceive an individual's ancestral lives, but claimants to that title were typically charlatans at best or mentally unstable and violent at worst.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64452-update-65-ciphers/

The PC is probably one of these.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

What a "Watcher" is was described in Update 65: Animancers studied folk legends about figures called Watchers who reportedly were able to see lost souls and perceive an individual's ancestral lives, but claimants to that title were typically charlatans at best or mentally unstable and violent at worst.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64452-update-65-ciphers/

The PC is probably one of these.

Charlatan or mentally unstable ?

• Like 1