Had a little chuckle when I saw the steam curators part with TotalBiscuit being the first there, knowing how vocal the guy has been for his dislike of steam's front page.

Curators were added to solve some of those issues by creating channel/tool that promotes games that at least some people feel to be good instead of showing new releases and sales on front page, especially when many new releases shown were actually quite old but got promoted because publisher released or re-released games from their back catalogue to steam, which cause steam's front page to be over saturated with back catalogue and early access games.

But I am skeptic that this new feature will solve problems that steam has in any meaningful degree and will become more as advertisement tool for curators' own content. 

van Helsing 2 is very entertaining. Although I only played the first part of it, I love that you can amass great loot without any fuss. I played Path of Exile a lot last year, but I stopped playing it, when I reached max level and began map hunting. Then I realized that in order to progress, you had to trade online with others to get the items you needed. And trade had no auction house, but only spammy chat rooms and a few online sites (plus black market money auctions - like Diablo 2, but worse).

I'm really looking forward to Grim Dawn, though. Here's what Crate has to say about loot in that game:

"It sounds strange to list this as a feature but in the modern era, it seems some ARPGs expect players to use an auction-house or trade online to outfit their characters in the best gear. While that is appealing for some, we recognize that there are many players who just want a reasonable chance to find their own loot without endless grinding and who want to play the actual game; not spend time outside the game hunting down good trades.

Loot in Grim Dawn is still precious and the best items rare but with drop rates tuned to still allow players to amass an impressive collection with time investments that are more reasonable for people without endless free time."

That is a policy, to which I'd gladly subscribe! :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I dislike how blue the new Steam is.  It's just less legible, as far as I'm concerned.

That said...the queue is perhaps the dumbest thing I've encountered from a retailer.  Why on earth link me games that are popular that are nothing like anything I own/play?  I'm super interested in playing the new Borderlands based on the what...3 hours total in several years I've spent playing FPS games?  All it does is waste my time and annoy me.  If something's popular, chances are I've heard of it...no need to try and sell it to me.  Link me things that appear to match my interests that are considered good but obscure, and then it would be useful.

I wish you could customize the new layout to put the list of specials and such at the top instead of promoting new releases and recommendations.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like that Valve has discovered that colours are an actual thing, yeah, but the actual implementation is horrendous. The search bar in particular, good god that's awful. Fortunately I don't have any reason to ever log into the Steam store anymore other than for quick checks of release dates and whatnot. Are the colours actually customisable, or is this whole 'discovery' thing just the ability to control what type of game is displayed on your front page?

I have memories as a kid of making my dad change the colour scheme of XTree/Gold over and over for my amusement. I didn't even know what XTree was in those days...

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I don't know. I love the new Steam crap. It is so horrendous and unintuitive, I am bound to actually miss out on more stuff I'd otherwise have been tempted to buy. I predict saving a lot of money from now on :)

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I don't know. I love the new Steam crap. It is so horrendous and unintuitive, I am bound to actually miss out on more stuff I'd otherwise have been tempted to buy. I predict saving a lot of money from now on :)

Maybe that'd work if Steam wouldn't randomly add games you never bought to your library.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

They do that with "free for X days" titles, it can be a bit annoying when suddenly 2-3 new games are added to your library, especially if you have a specific way of arranging games. I usually dump them in a category I've made so it doesn't mess up my order.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Maybe that'd work if Steam wouldn't randomly add games you never bought to your library.

Dunno, you actually play that? They always add stuff I would never even consider trying out.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

• 2 weeks later...

FfXIII was so disappointing. More of a sidescroller than an RPG.

Devastatorsig.jpg

FfXIII was so disappointing. More of a sidescroller than an RPG.

The combat system was good, but the game was essentially a single corridor.  Plus, it was laden with quite possibly the most boring, personality-less, cardboard cutout of a main protagonist the series has ever had.

Anyway, it seems we won't have to wait long for the next round of GabeN's assault on our wallets.  Word round the campfire is that there will be a Halloween Sale starting on the 30th.

Too early to get a sale on Costume Quest 2, right?  I'm going to buy the game one way or another to play this Halloween, even a 10% off would somewhat satisfy my inner cheapskate.  I'll also maybe scoop up Tropico 5 if it's discounted heavily enough, though part of me wants to hold off for the inevitable Complete Edition as they will undoubtedly milk several more DLCs out of it over the next year or so.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I really wanted to play some Final Fantasy game and XIII seemed like a good choice. Then I read Drudanae's post about the download and checked the install size in teh system requirements. Decided against buying it. I don't knowingly buy games with such a huge install - more often than not the size isn't justified.

XII was ok, so was X, but IX was the last really good one. As for a 60 gig install, that's what happens when you have 20 hours of HD video files.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

XII was ok, so was X, but IX was the last really good one. As for a 60 gig install, that's what happens when you have 20 hours of HD video files.

Agreed mostly.  V and VI were the pinnacle of the series, in my opinion, such phenomenal games.  IX was the last great game in the series, X was still pretty good, but starting with X-2 it started to really slide downward.  I didn't care for XII, and XIII was a borderline train wreck, which is too bad because they nailed the combat system, it's just too bad everything else was such a mess.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks