What are you playing now

Yeah, the game can be clunky for sure, but as you are clearly starting to notice it more than makes up for it by sheer bad-assery.

And I can replicate the Monthy Python black knight sketch as many times as I want!

The dismemberment system is pretty fun

A lot of these games, you basically have to play the online component of the game if you want full value out of them.  Otherwise, the single player stories are incredibly short.

I'm almost done the single player campaign of Gears of Wars: Judgment.  It feels like just a day ago I started.  One of the reasons I think I gravitate so much toward RPGs.  The single player portion is always a good chunk of the experience.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The Stanley Parable

If you consider yourself a gamer, you have to play this game, It's simply amazing. Haven't played something this interesting in quite some time. But I can't say much about it. You have to play this game yourself and it will be worth every dime spent on it. I guarantee it to you guys!

Ok, I bought it, so you better be right.   :p

It's something you have to experience as a gamer! :)

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I beat Gunpoint. A bit short but still fun to mess around with. It's a mixed stealth puzzle platformer, I guees. You can beat most levels in different ways, and that's what I tried for the levels I enjoyed most. I even kept the game running after beating it just to hear the music, really liked it.

• Like 2

I was one of the volunteer testers on Gunpoint, I loved it, but after playing through each level multiple times I kind of got tired of it. it's a nice concept, it does have good music, I liked the puzzles, would recommend it to anyone.

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Revenant. Old Diablo like, with a far better combat system, the scale of progression is quite steep but very satisfying. Like most good combat games it has a fatigue system in place that limits one, and at the same time prioritises careful use of abilities. Abilities need to be learned from a combat master however, and only unlock every few levels. The special finishing animations are quite something, hard to pull off, but so rewarding as they will end your foe no matter his health, and each foe has a different one, two or three. Enemies usually have similar moves they can execute against you however, at a significant cost to your health.

The main character, Locke De Avaram the Revenant, is a prototypical antihero, and some of his dialogue is frankly cringe inducing though it does get better. The amount of armour and weapons is broad, the spells are very potent, and one has access to both making the protagonist somewhat overpowered. The colour palette is bright and vibrant, perhaps a little too much so in some areas, but a refreshing change from grey and brown.

All told i'd say the game reeks of unfinished potential, there's a lot of quality and depth there, but almost everything is unfinished or only hinted at. A shame really as one can see the obvious hard work and ambition that have been poured into it.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

COH2's new expansion. Western Fronts doubles the scope of the game with two fresh and challenging factions. However, the new army customizer is a bit primitive in my book, and so far I haven't got any war spoils or victory strikes as loot after a match. Hopefully, I'll get some loot in the end, only time will tell. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Revenant. Old Diablo like, with a far better combat system, the scale of progression is quite steep but very satisfying. Like most good combat games it has a fatigue system in place that limits one, and at the same time prioritises careful use of abilities. Abilities need to be learned from a combat master however, and only unlock every few levels. The special finishing animations are quite something, hard to pull off, but so rewarding as they will end your foe no matter his health, and each foe has a different one, two or three. Enemies usually have similar moves they can execute against you however, at a significant cost to your health.

The main character, Locke De Avaram the Revenant, is a prototypical antihero, and some of his dialogue is frankly cringe inducing though it does get better. The amount of armour and weapons is broad, the spells are very potent, and one has access to both making the protagonist somewhat overpowered. The colour palette is bright and vibrant, perhaps a little too much so in some areas, but a refreshing change from grey and brown.

All told i'd say the game reeks of unfinished potential, there's a lot of quality and depth there, but almost everything is unfinished or only hinted at. A shame really as one can see the obvious hard work and ambition that have been poured into it.

Nonek I've said this before and I'll say it again, you really write well and make your posts both exciting and interesting. Its a rare talent :thumbsup:  What do you do for a living if you don't mind sharing?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Replayed Alpha Protocol.

Beating the snot out of people with Toughness/Martial Arts never gets old.

As many times as I've played AP, I've never gone with a martial arts build.  I guess I wuss out whenever I think of the boss fights and think about having to take them on with hands and feet.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Nonek I've said this before and I'll say it again, you really write well and make your posts both exciting and interesting. Its a rare talent :thumbsup:  What do you do for a living if you don't mind sharing?

Thank you Mr VC, I provide legal exculpation and sign everything.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I picked up Alpha Protocol on a Steam sale a few days ago. Just finished Rome after doing Taipei.

It's shockingly good. The combat isn't amazing but it's solid and satisfying. And I love the conversations and the sensations of simultaneously having agency but also being a small insect in a large spider web.

And I just know I'm going to get to the end and be gutted that there isn't a sequel.

• Like 1

Team Fortress 2. I thought those new taunts would be stupid.

They are stupid.

They are gloriously stupid.

An entire server full of players doing a stupid conga dance instead of capping the point or pushing the cart is second only to a lone conga hero bravely lumbering past enemy lines, devoid of any sense of self-preservation. Possessed entirely by their faith in humanity's goodwill. Having their faith betrayed by a sniper.

The new rocket launcher/parachute combo doesn't fit every circumstance, but when it works, it works. Eight rapid-fire rockets aimed down at a sentry nest is a thing of beauty.

Edited by AGX-17

I picked up Alpha Protocol on a Steam sale a few days ago. Just finished Rome after doing Taipei.

It's shockingly good. The combat isn't amazing but it's solid and satisfying. And I love the conversations and the sensations of simultaneously having agency but also being a small insect in a large spider web.

And I just know I'm going to get to the end and be gutted that there isn't a sequel.

Yeah its a great game, I played it for the first time about 18 months ago..plus it offers Romance :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You're going to get to the end.. and find out just how damn replayable it is when you start to explore all the possible endings depending on your actions.. ;)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Replayed Alpha Protocol.

As many times as I've played AP, I've never gone with a martial arts build.  I guess I wuss out whenever I think of the boss fights and think about having to take them on with hands and feet.

I planned on using AR mainly (then ended up using MA more), so I had a backup for tougher bosses. The ones I used MA on worked pretty well (Marburg, Deng) even without Fury. Brayko and ranged bosses were a no-go though.

Replayed Alpha Protocol.

I planned on using AR mainly (then ended up using MA more), so I had a backup for tougher bosses. The ones I used MA on worked pretty well (Marburg, Deng) even without Fury. Brayko and ranged bosses were a no-go though.

Juggling the combination of Stealth, Martial Arts and Pistols is pretty much the clincher for dealing with everything..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Replayed Alpha Protocol.

Beating up Brayko with your bare hands is the best.  It's very much doable, assuming you took care of his nose candy first.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Replayed Alpha Protocol.

Beating up Brayko with your bare hands is the best.  It's very much doable, assuming you took care of his nose candy first.

Mm, dunno, his knife attack was faster than mine and he kept interrupting me. Then at the end he did a backflip and jump out of melee range.

Still playing Remember Me, made it to Act IV and beat the boss there.

The combat is kind of getting on my nerves. Besides my inability to reliably hit some combos (the timing seems really finicky sometimes. But I'm not great at these kind of games so I'm quite willing to accept the problem is me, or maybe I'm having input lag due to my laptop not being actually powerful enough, even though the game otherwise appears to run rather smoothly) and the camera doesn't make it any easier. The most frustrating fight so far was the (big) group of these invisible stalkers backed up with regular friends at the start of Act IV, most of the time I couldn't see anything due to the camera angles. Most other fights otoh, are easy (I'm playing on easy after all ;) )

Then the bossfights, the Act IV boss was an exercise in frustration, not because the boss was hard mind you (because it wasn't), but because the fight took me well over 30minutes to complete (and that is a conservative estimate as I didn't actually measure it, note that I didn't die once, so this was *one* battle). Add on top of that the fact that to "finish" boss fights you get to do a bunch of QTEs (which I suck at) and the frustration was complete as I had to restart that QTE thing like 5 times before I had memorized all the different keys (luckily they weren't random). "skilled" people can probably do this fight faster, but seriously, if I were "skilled" I wouldn't be playing on easy.

Other than that I'm enjoying the story and environments and I do intend to finish the game, but it appears it will be *despite* the combat mechanics.

Semi-related things I've realized:

* controllers hurt my hands if I have to use them a lot for things I generally use the mouse for (eg. looking and moving around), I never had this problem with racegames (which alongside platformers are the only game types I generally use them for) but I apparently can't play first/third person games for extended periods of time (= more than an hour) without my hands starting to hurt.

* QTEs need to die and whoever invented them needs to be sent to the lowest circle of hell, and then down a few more floors. QTEs assume people know what buttons are under their fingers, I never actively do, not on a keyboard (unless my hands are in typing position, which they generally won't be when gaming) and not on a controller (where I just assign each "move" a "finger movement" in my brain), figuring out which action I need to take on a QTE takes me generally too long resulting in regular reloads. Just drop the damn QTEs and let me enjoy the cutscene, ugh.

• Like 1

Well, my warrior sucks less in Divinity 2.  Running through the Temple of Doom now.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra