The Infinity Engine games all used a very different art style for their loading screens.

Baldur's Gate had lovely black on parchment drawings of adventurers in the wilderness. One of these drawings in particular looks so much like a shot from Lord of the Rings (which would be released a few years later).

BGPS1_12.jpg

Baldur's Gate 2 mostly had the game logo with a loading bar around it, which changed sometimes based on location

load_soa.jpg

This style of loading screen is definitely cheaper to produce than the BG method, but just not as cool.

Icewind Dale had some incredible load screens as well. They look to be the original 3D scene in SoftImage (which is what I think they used back then). This one has some IRL sky photoshopped to the back.

I believe Planescape Torment also used this method (to some extent).

NuCxDS4.jpg

I'm not sure if these are expensive to produce or not, but they looked cool.

gfs_7107_2_6.jpg

Icewind Dale 2 also loaded up on the artwork, with some 2D art.

What loading screen style would you prefer to see in Pillars of Eternity?

Personally I think the Baldur's Gate style would be really cool, but that's being used for Scripted Interactions anyway, so it might be a bit superfluous. But having a different load screen for every major location in the game would be sweet.

• Like 7

BG1 got the best, I like those drawnings

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Though I did like the typical party hiking across the Swordcoast in BG I think you're right that this may clash with the scripted interactions, thus i'd prefer to see concept art of the pertinent area from a different angle, it might make a nice change from the isometric perspective it's usually presented in.

Edit: That said i'm fine with fairly much anything, unlike the majority I do not have a pathological hatred of loading screens, in fact I quite like the respite. Perhaps impressionistic watercolours of the areas we are seeing might be nice, they were quite evocative in the first Witcher.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 7

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Though I did like the typical party hiking across the Swordcoast in BG I think you're right that this may clash with the scripted interactions, thus i'd prefer to see concept art of the pertinent area from a different angle, it might make a nice change from the isometric perspective it's usually presented in.

Edit: That said i'm fine with fairly much anything, unlike the majority I do not have a pathological hatred of loading screens, in fact I quite like the respite. Perhaps impressionistic watercolours of the areas we are seeing might be nice, they were quite evocative in the first Witcher.

Why clash? I would rather say complement

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think some people load so fast, in the most file size intensive games, that there would be no loading screen. I know wasteland 2, only has a loading screen for a split second for me. But, guess still better to have something nice to look at.

• Like 1

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Yes those were sublime.

• Like 1

I like the imagery from the BG2 and IWD2 opening cutscenes: flipping pages in tomes of lore. Beautiful hand-drawn pictures with scribbled notes alongside. I'd love it if the PoE loading screens were like that. Maybe the page could occasionally turn.

• Like 3
"You shall not pass!"

This is the modern age, you don't want to spend too much time on loading screen artwork.  Most people won't even look at them all that long.  For example in the already mentioned Dark Souls on PC I clear the loading screen in roughly 10 seconds normally.  Eternity is going to be much less graphically intensive so I don't anticipate staring very long at load screens.  Just go the shadowrun returns route and have stock images maybe of a major landmark for the area you are loading and include a tiny bit of flavor text.

Basically don't make a bunch of fancy custom art for screens most players will only see for 5-10 seconds once every 30 minutes or longer most of the time.

They can just put sepiatone over their existing concept art, and there you go: fancy lore tome.

I'd like to think some of those concept (like the undead ones) were from the cyclopedia entries.

Exactly, i have no doubt that Kaz can make spectacular "bg1 variants" from above, as he already proved with scripted interactions screens we seen, but concept arts of the areas from different angle capturing their essence or give us a sense of the surrounding will add that much more.

Along the lines of those concepts:

Defiancebay.JPG

Defiance-bay-mood.jpg

other examples from quick google image search:

ejZ1O.jpg

Concept-Art-Sergey-Skachkov-City-Outskir

7_17_2011_the_market4.png

267338-the-witcher-windows-screenshot-lo

Loading_Dike_day.png

00481.jpg

Edited by Mor
  • Like 4

Partially animated load screens with acoustics would be a nice touch: leaves moving, waves shifting, merchants waving, people talking, crowd noises, ... that sort of thing. It would add some nice eye candy visual distraction while you're waiting. The added load on memory and CPU shouldn't impact the I/O throughput much, I would think.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think some people load so fast, in the most file size intensive games, that there would be no loading screen. I know wasteland 2, only has a loading screen for a split second for me. But, guess still better to have something nice to look at.

In principle, this could be managed by adding a setting that makes it so that you only exit the loading screen upon pressing a key. That being said, I can appreciate that creating even a modest amount of detailed images would be a lot of work put into a feature few people would be likely to use, though perhaps existing concept art could be used? It would be foresightful of the devs to at least leave placeholder screens that could later be filled by them or the community.

I think all the loading screens should be tributes to deceased features, such as romance and durability. 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

In principle, this could be managed by adding a setting that makes it so that you only exit the loading screen upon pressing a key.

I was going to suggest this.  Its annoying when loading screens have useful hints or information about the area written on them and you only get to see it for a split second before its gone. 

• Like 2

Personally, I like the idea of using concept art of the main areas.

A different angle 3D-scene render + paintover would be great too (a la IWD) but probably take too much time/money.

BG2 style was ok, but you got the same few screens a lot.  That's ok if the load time is short though.  The hints on it were actually useful.  If those same hints could be made to show up in the dialogue-log bar after loading (or just pause the load screen to read them) that'd be handy too.

The animated scene idea:

Partially animated load screens with acoustics would be a nice touch: leaves moving, waves shifting, merchants waving, people talking, crowd noises, ... that sort of thing. It would add some nice eye candy visual distraction while you're waiting. The added load on memory and CPU shouldn't impact the I/O throughput much, I would think.

is probably my favourite, but again, animations cost time+money.  I guess it depends on the style they went for.  Simple animations of 2D paintings might take too much.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I can't remember what game it was, but some Namco game back in the PSX days actually had Pac-Man as a playable minigame while waiting for the load to complete. I don't think anyone can really argue with that, except that load times should be so insignificant in this day and age that it shouldn't matter.

A pretty picture is fine enough. Or a wavy "PILLARS OF ETERNITY" logo that you can warp by hitting the arrow/WADS keys while it flails around wildly.

I am really for BG1 style black/white drawnings

1) it remains me PnP sessions where DM draw what is happening

2) its quite cheap for development and graphic artists have mostly all work complete later in development so they dont take resources for important work

A nice 2D drawing would be great for a loading screen along the lines of the event pop-ups Obsidian have shown us. But I'd like to see that idea taken to the next level: Loading Screen Plus! ;)

The game keeps track of the area you are leaving and your destination area, and then it gives us a drawing splat with cultural info on places and events in-between those areas: some obscure village, a bizarre rumour, a minor natural disaster, animals stampeding, a weird ritual obfuscating your passage, a strange recollection, a flashback, whatever - but it all fits the order of areas loaded. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I wouldn't be surprised if they go with the old parchment style, as this is already similar to something they're doing in-game already.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just slap concept art onto the loading screen, since they should have plenty of that around, and it's gorgeous.

Personally, I have a soft spot for the BG2/ToB loading symbols. For me, they have a lot of emotional value attached to them, and were much more memorable to me than the random art loading screens. The fact that it only changed rarely, based on location, got me very excited the times when it did change. It heralded something new, without spoiling it as artwork might.

Edited by mstark
  • Like 2
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just slap concept art onto the loading screen, since they should have plenty of that around, and it's gorgeous.

If they just "have" to use art panels this is exactly what they should do.  Saves them the time and money of making new pictures and gets more use out of the already very nice looking concept art.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go with the old parchment style, as this is already similar to something they're doing in-game already.

That is exactly the reason why they shouldn't.. if they duplicate the scripted interaction it will be huge missed opportunity. The scripted interaction style is on purpose vague and nondescript sketches to fit with any surrounding and let the written description of the event and choices to drive your imagination like in PnP sessions - its perfect. Loading screen on the other hand is your prelude into a new area, its a chance to bring the setting alive in as much vivid detail as possible. To add to the examples from the previous page here are some more:

From close or afar:

Torment: Tides of Numenera

0b822f3be4a4b5a678a651d4491cbe6c_large.j

1400x600_16039_Frogster_Game_Concept_05_

Something for wilderness area which always seem small and repetitive. From close or afar:

konceptbilderfirewatch_1095664.png

Propwash_VD.jpg

If they just "have" to use art panels this is exactly what they should do.  Saves them the time and money of making new pictures and gets more use out of the already very nice looking concept art.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Defiance Bay birds eye view of the city from the Razed panelthat we don't exactly suppose to have, would end up or was planed all along as its loading screen. Which would be great. Edited by Mor