Maya Angelou asks...

Walsingham

Maya Angelou Died today. One quote I noticed from her:

"You can tell a lot about a person by the way (s)he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."

~

In order:

1. Make soup

2. Laugh

3. Become incredibly furious

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 5

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd like to emphasise how staggeringly furious I get when confronted with intransigent inanimate objects.

And how much I like soup.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

1. Tut and carry on.

2. Tut and carry on.

3. Tut and carry on.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

1. Shrug 2. Realistically, cope with what was lost ; Ideally, begin a global hunt for the luggage and exact vengeance on anyone who stole it. 3. Untangle it.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1. Sit inside and play games all day. In my underwear.

2. Buy underwear and a toothbrush.

3. Pretend it was supposed to be a Christmas ball all along and light the ****er.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

1) we like the rain. so, am guessing we grab an umbrella, or not, and go on with our day.

2) depends on what is in our "luggage."  virtual everything important for Gromnir is carry-on to avoid the lost luggage scenario, but assume we lose laptop, important documents, or our snoopy night-lite and am s'posing we could be sent into a moment o' panic, followed by a couple deep breaths, and ending with a wry smirk of acknowledgement for the universe that once again managed to get the best o' Gromnir. 

3) untangle the lights? that one seems like a trick question wherein we is missing the "gotcha." 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"You can tell a lot about a person by the way (s)he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."

1. Sit in the garden pavilion, listen to the rain and watch the clouds go by. I like rainy weather.

2. Be moderately angry, but calm down quickly. (all the essential things are always in my cabin baggage and pockets)

3. Rip the christmas lights from the tree and fling them against the wall as hard as I can. Nothing makes me madder than stubborn inanimate objects that wont work as intended

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I love rainy days. In fact, I would very much like it if it were raining and semi-dark outside all the time, (discounting any other effects, like floods, that might result).

Depends on what's in it. Could range from not caring hardly at all to contemplating suicide. :p

Fix that crap. Throw it away if it's unfixable. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1) Open the curtains so I can hear it louder. (My curtains are usually closed any time of day)

2) File a lost luggage report, then go do something else to get my mind off the annoyance.

3) Huh, free Christmas tree lights, I wonder where they came from?

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1. Watch movies and sitcom episodes relating to people in the rain (one time it was the Married... with Children episode when the Bundys' house sprang leaks everywhere, last time it was that flick Hard Rain).

Depends on what's in it. Could range from not caring hardly at all to contemplating suicide.  :p

3. Leave it. "My problems go away if I ignore them" (same approach I have with parking tickets).

Addendum to number 1: There was this one time, here in the eternally sunny So/CentCal coast, when the biggest flash rainstorm I ever saw since El Nino of '97/'98 suddenly poured down. Everyone in my apartment complex (including me) stopped everything they were doing, laundry, partying, playing video games, studying, and just went outside and just marveled at how utterly random and out of nowhere this was.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

1. Run out and make a scene, all the while beaming with fake glee.

2. Give up, coil up into a foetal position and suck your thumb.

3. Carry on as normal, coz life's like that always.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

1. Does not really affect me.

2. Does not really matter, just buy the needed again

3. Does not really affect me, just untangle them.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maya Angelou Died today. One quote I noticed from her:

I like rain. So no problems there.

I've only ever lost luggage once. Didn't realize it was missing until weeks later. Still not 100% sure what I lost in it.

Don't have tangled Christmas tree lights because when I take them down, I put them back right.

EDIT: I met Ms. Angelou back in the early 1990s; very nice and gracious woman. Very thoughtful and even though her mom (IIRC) had just passed very willing to try and connect with the people who'd came to see her and pass on her ideas.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Never lost luggage either. My mom did have hers taken by another woman from the carousel. That was fun, airline agent had to threaten to tell the police to get the woman to let us come and get it.  Later complained that I was some enforcer type as I was just standing behind my mom while she spoke to the woman. 

My countrymen are pricks :p

Another good test of a person would be how they handle tiny delays at a red light or in line at a grocery store.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd totally lose the character assessment if it included "getting on the expressway behind cars going 30 mph" though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd totally lose the character assessment if it included "getting on the expressway behind cars going 30 mph" though.

our kryptonite is spending holiday weekend or week with family. the patience we have with strangers largely evaporates when faced with mind-numbing ignorance or overt pettiness within our own clan. sure, we love family get-togethers and if such reunions lasted only one afternoon, we would probably be happy with 'em. spending more than one afternoon with our relatives is like asking us to do oktoberfest with neo-nazis. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1. Have a drink and try to get laid

2. Buy new clothes

3. Have a few drinks

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands