Why are you guys going to E3?

Not to mention E3 is in Santa Anna and Obsidian is in Santa Monica, it's not even a big deal in terms of travel, you just have to make the trailers which is a few man hours in the Gantt chart.

You mean downtown LA, and Irvine, respectively. 

All Stop. On Screen.

There's some things about game development we, as the peanut gallery, can provide useful input for.  There are some things that we're not really able to provide useful input for.

Blasphemer!!! SIEZE HIM!

Everyone knows that everything we can possibly type here is absolutely useful, and we know more than some silly people who've actually worked in the industry for years and years do! u_u...

8)

• Like 5

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

There's some things about game development we, as the peanut gallery, can provide useful input for.  There are some things that we're not really able to provide useful input for.

Blasphemer!!! SIEZE HIM!

we can possibly type here is absolutely useful,

QFT !!!

For example think of all the interesting and pertinent discussions we have had raising the irrefutable facts around the importance of Romance, just because of our erudite views we now have Romance in PoE....oh wait :wowey:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Uh I am pretty sure Obsidian goes to E3 most years.  They have more on the table than just Eternity and E3 is the biggest consumer electronics show in the world.  You want the games media to see your game and maybe give it some coverage.... you go to E3.  Yes they are getting some coverage on some sites already, but I am pretty sure they would like to get some big interview or positive buzz on like a Gamespot, IGN, or maybe.... *cringe* even Kotaku.

It is an industry show, hardly a vacation, and certainly not a waste of time.

• Like 1

Just in case it wasn't posted somewhere before: Pillars of Eternity Brings New Area and Demo to E3 2014

The development team at Obsidian announces that it is getting ready to show off a new scene taken from their upcoming Pillars of Eternity during the upcoming E3 2014 trade show, offering fans of the title a look at the core mechanics of the game and some of the lore created for it.

Edited by Mor
  • Like 2

@Chaos Theory - Your not sexy enough lol ;p

Honestly I think you have to buy a really expensive ticket I believe. Like $800 or some such - E3's a trade expo show not a fan convention. It has some cool stuff going on at some areas I'm sure it's probably like the red seal trade competition expo type deal(Only type I'm familar with) - watching some really talented pipefitters(or any trade for that matter) do a fast construction is something to see, but it's mostly for meeting other professionals creating new networking and business contacts.

EDIT: I know that differences would be quite large due to gaming be a service industry - just figure the buzz about E3 is due to software being a media/service industry thing. Meh, haven't been to an E3 but that's what it sounds like from some descriptions.

Edited by W.MacKinnon
  • Like 1

There real question here is:  Why in the hell can't *I* go to E3?

Chaos, tell them you'll trade them some of that nice Wisconsin mature cheddar for free access to E3?

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

make contacts with developers & publishers.

darker side of coin above: given the typical turnover rate in game industry, most folks at obsidian is probable needing to be conscious of looking for another job.  

get good ideas when looking at new games and picking brains o' other developers.

see where other developers is screwing-the-pooch so obsidian can avoid making similar mistakes on their own games. experience is not always the best teacher.

etc.

obsidian is a developer who is gonna wanna be making games after they finish poe. attending stuff like e3 is part o' doing business.

aside: the pasty-faced social wrecks who make games sometimes need an excuse to get out and interact with new people. e3 is a good excuse. good for morale and all. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Naw it's too bad.  It's nearly impossible to get to Comic Con San Diego, but at least the average non-affiliated-with-anything Joe has a .004% chance at getting a ticket.

But with E3, you basically have to be a member of the industry/media/connected/G-string model.  Even though it's probably the coolest convention ever.

Edited by Chaos Theory

Naw it's too bad.  It's nearly impossible to get to Comic Con San Diego, but at least the average non-affiliated-with-anything Joe has a .004% chance at getting a ticket.

But with E3, you basically have to be a member of the industry/media/connected/G-string model.  Even though it's probably the coolest convention ever.

... did you even read this thread?

• Like 1

to be fair, am wishing we hadn't.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

E3 = Disneyland.  If not better. 

:ninja:

But with E3, you basically have to be a member of the industry/media/connected/G-string model.  Even though it's probably the coolest convention ever.

E3 = Disneyland.  If not better. 

:ninja:

The vast majority of gamers think E3 is a convention like SDCC or Emerald City. They watch IGN coverage from their computers, where so little of the show is actually shown, that they get the impression the place is far more exciting than it actually is. They watch the press conferences streaming and think that those games are actually playable on the floor. And the ones that are actually playable are completely on rails. The pressers are incredibly boring, stiff, and snooze inducing. I got in as a guest of EA/BioWare last year, and for the previous two years before that as a journalist, and the pressers are ridiculous. 

Even this year, E3 has set up new measures to keep those out that are not allowed in. NeoGAF got denied. My friends geek site got denied. If you don't have the number of visitors they want, you don't get in. And if you really want to get in? The tickets for the public start at $599.

And honestly? People shouldn't want to go to E3. It's boring. The average gamer would balk at how much a business event it actually is. Every year, the outer lunch hall is packed with people in three piece suits and briefcases filled with graphs. 

Seriously, dude. Read the threads you post in, please. It's only three pages.

Edited by Bryy

Seriously, dude. Read the threads you post in, please. It's only three pages.

In his defense Bryy the little ninja emoticon leads me to believe he was just being sarcastic.  That and the G-String comment.

• Like 2

Funnily enough, as I recall linguists aren't sure of the origins of "g-string".

There is a reference to "geestring" from around 1877 referring to loincloths, but the reason for the attribution is unknown (theorized that "gee" and, subsequently, "g" perhaps stood for "groin", which may not have been used in polite society at the time but that is certainly uncertain.)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This "massive waste of time" is the kind of thing that makes sequels possible...

Imagine the conversation in a years time.

"Hi, I'm Josh Sawyer. I'm looking for a publisher to back Project Eternity 2."

"Oh yeah, I saw you guys at E3, the old-school RPG right?"

"That's the one"

"Yeah, I saw that sold pretty well, let's arrange a meeting"

or perhaps this conversation

"Hi, I'm Josh Sawyer. I'm looking for a publisher to back Project Eternity 2."

"What the f### is that? Ever heard of Kickstarter? Try there..."

• Like 2

Crit happens

Well it certainly helps keep their name out there, of course.  And if they want the Pillar's setting to become a multi-game setting (possibly even featuring different styles of game set in it), it probably can't hurt to demo it to other producers.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man