I really hope we will be able to upload custom portraits for our characters in PoE. I don't see any reason why such a feature wouldn't be supported. If so, I'm likely to use some kind of crop of the image below for my character avatar. What custom portraits would you use?

KingRichard2.jpg

"You shall not pass!"

Custom portraits have been confirmed (project director Josh Sawyer also said he wasn't sure whether they had custom portraits support for companions in, though the fact that he was unsure implies they at least considered it). Also, I don't think I'll use a custom portrait, but if I do it'll be Mr. T.

• Like 4

I'll take a look at the available PC portraits first.

In BG there wasn't enough choice that wasn't already taken by an NPC - in IWD there was more choice (since there were no NPC companions) and I used those for my party.

But I'll probably just make my own (*points to current avatar as example*) at least for subsequent playthroughs.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Oh, I expect there'll be plenty of great portraits to choose from. I'm sure I'll use those a lot making custom companions in the Adventurer's Hall. However, I've gotten in the habit of picking a custom portrait for my PC ever since Baldur's Gate, and I doubt I'll stop now. Sometimes, there's just something to be said for choosing exactly how you want your character to look.

"You shall not pass!"

Heh! I'm exactly the opposite. I've never picked a custom portrait, ever! I'm too lazy, I guess, and I also love to stick with the game's internal aesthetics as much as I can. I mean having a RL photo or a doodle for a face doesn't really do it for me.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Heh! I'm exactly the opposite. I've never picked a custom portrait, ever! I'm too lazy, I guess, and I also love to stick with the game's internal aesthetics as much as I can. I mean having a RL photo or a doodle for a face doesn't really do it for me.

The BG community has a pretty hefty custom portrait niche. Many of their offerings have been expressly made to resemble the aesthetics of the original artwork and fit in quite nicely, I find.

Edited by Darth_Gandalf
  • Like 2
"You shall not pass!"

yes tehy do. But there are times when you're lookign for something specific.

For example, I'm probably gonna be using my current forum avatar as a portrait. That or this:

tumblr_lzwzzciKKl1qi5850o1_500.png

• Like 4

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Sometimes, there's just something to be said for choosing exactly how you want your character to look.

I feel the same - but sometimes the available portrait is just right anyway ;)

I mostly make a new portrait for each new PC in BG - I enjoy that as part of the character creation process, albeit one that takes place pre-game in other software.

Nor me - but there are alternatives ;)

As Darth_Gandalf said, there are quite a few portrait packs, some of which have the right style.  If you get a few together, you can weed out the ones you don't like and still end up with a lot to choose from.  I've used some to flesh out the non-joinable NPCs who didn't have a portrait (also needs near-infinity or DLTCEP or similar)

Or take up 3D-art as a hobby, no drawing skills required :lol:

My override folder for BG grew to ridiculous size with all the added portraits (among other mods but I think the bmp were the biggest files)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I'd pick Lidda from the DnD 3 (and 3.5) player handbook.

PHB35_PG50_WEB.jpg

that or PS-catlord. from planescape monster manual II

Catlord.jpg

What can I say... I got a thing for petite brunettes. And I might as well pick a portrait I don't mind looking at.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'd pick Lidda from the DnD 3 (and 3.5) player handbook.

Catlord.jpg

What can I say... I got a thing for petite brunettes. And I might as well pick a portrait I don't mind looking at.

I applaud your good taste Sir.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I have a thing for redheads, and Red Sonja (current avatar) would be a nice choice for a female, but I want my protagonist to be male for PoE. I will probably choose one of the portraits available at character creation, as I too love the artwork we are shown so far.

(well, as long as the males don't look like lunatics as in BG1-2 :p )

Edited by constantine
  • Like 2

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I have a thing for redheads, and Red Sonja (current avatar) would be a nice choice for a female, but I want my protagonist to be male for PoE. I will probably choose one of the portraits available at character creation, as I too love the artwork we are shown so far.

Yeah to be honest the male portraits in BG1-2 sucked.  I used custom portraits because it was either that or be forced to stare at a portrait I just plain didn't like the whole game.

Yeah to be honest the male portraits in BG1-2 sucked.  I used custom portraits because it was either that or be forced to stare at a portrait I just plain didn't like the whole game.

Well, to be honest, my very first playthrough I did choose the noble male warrior in plate armor  :yes:

However many of the other guys were really funny to look at! They were something like joke-portraits  :grin:

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I'll probably go vanilla first... but on other playthroughs I'll find something.

I like the one in the middle here, which I've used a couple of times in Baldur's Gate (2-right, 2-down. Blonde, blue scarf and glowing eyes)

Anyone know if Adventurer's Hall companions can be given a custom portrait as well?

EDIT: Oh oh! And I also hope we'll be able to mod existent portraits as well... if Obsidian are considering "dynamic" portraits in any way.

Examples~ examples~

Edited by Osvir

Yeah yeah, Lion of Lannister. Wolf was the only thing that supported a pun. Literal humor trumps accuracy. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u