Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #79: Graphics and Rendering

Graphics Rendering Lighting Programming Adam Brennecke Update 79

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not to discredit any artists here - coz they do a fantastic job - but nope. They are not the same, at least not from a geological standpoint:

And as a matter of fact, this "obsidian" looks to have been knapped, that is, people have used tools to knap off flakes and (via pressure) blades from them.

pe-logo-915x585.jpg

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 28 May 2014 - 11:04 AM.

• Bryy likes this

Frenetic Pony

Frenetic Pony

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well that's really disappointing, all you need for environment shadow maps is a tiled pre-calculated shadow map. That's it, no need for lightmapping or other oldschool stuff. Just create a planar shadow map from your static sun/moon source and output to streaming tiles the same way the background works.

Also just turning SSAO on should still work out well with depth information and etc. Unity has a nice enough built in SSAO right off the bat.

Graham

Graham

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts

Rendering Time

Backgrounds

pe-daynight-580.jpg

For some reason, I have the impression that the characters are floating over the ground, especially the left one. I don't know why this is the case, but maybe it's because there is no small "shadowy" area around their feet or something like that.

• Ineth likes this

Azmodiuz

Azmodiuz

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Steam:woodzstack
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So will the characters have this too ? Will they use bump maps and normal/diffuse maps and tint maps too ?

Azmodiuz

Azmodiuz

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think there is purple mesh under me right now.

Same!

Lets see if we can walk on it.

Hey, wild stab-in-the-dark question:

Update by Adam Brennecke, Lead Programmer and Executive Producer

pe-encampment-580.jpg

Is this one of the entrances to the mega-dungeon?

no spoilers, rememebr ?

Azmodiuz

Azmodiuz

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Rendering Time

Backgrounds

pe-daynight-580.jpg

For some reason, I have the impression that the characters are floating over the ground, especially the left one. I don't know why this is the case, but maybe it's because there is no small "shadowy" area around their feet or something like that.

hey true, he needs a shadow and doesn't have one !

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 454 posts

Well that's really disappointing, all you need for environment shadow maps is a tiled pre-calculated shadow map. That's it, no need for lightmapping or other oldschool stuff. Just create a planar shadow map from your static sun/moon source and output to streaming tiles the same way the background works.

Also just turning SSAO on should still work out well with depth information and etc. Unity has a nice enough built in SSAO right off the bat.

We do have dynamic directional light shadow maps. Those are the shadows that are being cast by the spheres and characters. We do not have point light shadows, which can be more complex, and for us is challenging because of our psuedo-2d/3d situation. It's something that I would love to do moving forward! :)

• AndreaColombo and Pegazus like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It could be the walk mesh. In NWN2, it was always tough to bake the area so that it didn't look like characters and baddies were hovering an inch above the ground. I guess it's even more complicated turning a 2D area into a 3D one and have a walkmesh of some kind?

Graham

Graham

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts

Rendering Time

Backgrounds

pe-daynight-580.jpg

hey true, he needs a shadow and doesn't have one !

I not only mean the left guy, though. The right guy also seems to float, even with the shadow, but to a less extent. As I said, I'm not entirely sure why it seems like that, I just notice it.

Graham

Graham

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts

It could be the walk mesh. In NWN2, it was always tough to bake the area so that it didn't look like characters and baddies were hovering an inch above the ground. I guess it's even more complicated turning a 2D area into a 3D one and have a walkmesh of some kind?

Maybe, I don't know. I guess, the environment artists will figure out the problem and solve it. :)

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah could be the nav mesh being slightly too high or something.
  • Bryy likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Nine out of ten games I play have this problem to some extent. I suppose it's a real headache in most area-making engines and platforms. Equally often, the characters and critters feet seem to have sunk through the ground, though.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 28 May 2014 - 11:21 AM.

• Ineth likes this

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Looks nice. Really, really nice. Interesting to get a peek under the hood as well, but the whole is coming together super-well. Point light shadows would be gravy. This really is how IE games would look if they'd kept making them!

• IndiraLightfoot and rdmcnz like this

ryukenden

ryukenden

Archwarrior of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

At E3, the team will be showing Pillars of Eternity at the Paradox booth behind closed doors. To avoid spoiling what we will be showing, we will be saving these moments until you get to play it. Because we want to include you in the experience, we will be taking photos at the booth, and in a future update we will be sharing more screenshots from the demo. To give you a small taste, here's a sneak peek at a scene that will be shown at E3:

Wait, what? Can there be a mini demo or something? I don't think it spoils anything. And are you suggesting BETA is coming?

Mor

Mor

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts
First fires? is this a new district we are first hearing about or the name for the forth nameless district mention before?

By the way, with that surprising ending, does this mean that Aloth is a confirmed companion now?

dat wild Aloth, we still know nothing about him.. I suppose they keep all details for E3 exclusives :( well that how it works, if you want good press you need to give them more than a recycled info\question already asked in hundred variations before ..

Hey! One of the only plot tidbits we've gotten so far was that we witness a profound supernatural event. Maybe it's a meteor that crashes into the ground lol.

I kind of assumed it was the biamhac.

pe-encampment-580.jpg

Is this one of the entrances to the mega-dungeon?

I also would like to know what kind of encampment we see in that screenshot(real pretty). Also entrances? is the maga-dungeon suppose have more than one entrance?

Edited by Mor, 28 May 2014 - 12:20 PM.

Gyges

Gyges

Pit Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I dont understand anything of this but those environments are works of art.

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just now noticed the Pillars.

Woah.

I was like woah, guys.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

it's very obvious that a lot of work has gone into this: good work.

my one concern is whether these things things hold up in all situations - it seems that you guys are trying your best to make the 2d environs look amazing but you're adding all this tech on top of it.

i worry about the bugs.

lolaldanee

lolaldanee

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i'm not too enthusiastic about the press getting information before us backers

but otherwise, great update

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
These update visuals look simply... specu-tacu-lar! 8)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Graphics, Rendering, Lighting, Programming, Adam Brennecke, Update 79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users