(An engineer? A psychic? A builder? Farmer? Ogre? Etc. etc.)

LOL, when I only quickly skimmed the lines I read psychiatrist and thought of a dude giving your companions therapy between quests. :D :p

HAHA! Though, thinking about it... when we do get to the point of having our own Stronghold, getting tax money, slaying people and monsters left and right, involving ourselves in all kinds of intrigue... how does the character manage to live with themselves? How does it make them feel? :p

How much stress would a person go through in a world like Eora? Or any fantasy game for that matter, it's not anything I've seen before... imagine if playing Skyrim, and after a while your character starts freaking out and you can't do anything, or hallucinations or whatnot... characters going through some sort of "post-traumatic fantasy stress disorder".

A psychiatrist wouldn't be an all too far-fetched concept to have in one's staff if you eventually become a conquering landlord or person in a political or powerful position.

Edited by Osvir

(An engineer? A psychic? A builder? Farmer? Ogre? Etc. etc.)

LOL, when I only quickly skimmed the lines I read psychiatrist and thought of a dude giving your companions therapy between quests. :D :p

HAHA! Though, thinking about it... when we do get to the point of having our own Stronghold, getting tax money, slaying people and monsters left and right, involving ourselves in all kinds of intrigue... how does the character manage to live with themselves? How does it make them feel? :p

How much stress would a person go through in a world like Eora? Or any fantasy game for that matter, it's not anything I've seen before... imagine if playing Skyrim, and after a while your character starts freaking out and you can't do anything, or hallucinations or whatnot... characters going through some sort of "post-traumatic fantasy stress disorder".

A psychiatrist wouldn't be an all too far-fetched concept to have in one's staff if you eventually become a conquering landlord or person in a political or powerful position.

Given the level of technology a psychiatrist might be a bit far fetched after all... maybe some kind of soul-based psychiatry? Machinery or magic? :p  Psychology on the other hand could perhaps have developed much earlier given the right discursive climate and social organization. If so, it wouldn't be very far fetched to imagine some form of therapy for every time you face hordes of undead or become captured by mindflayers or whatever. One could implement a sanity-meter as in all the cthulhu-games...

Or maybe not :)

Is it already known if characters will have their own dedicated character portraits, or will it be the way it was back in Baldur's Gate, where choosing a portrait for the player character that was assigned to an NPC would then cause this NPC to have another portrait? This was one of the few things I really didn't like about BG.

Edited by huang

This is pretty much the premise of Darkest Dungeon isn't it? :p

• Like 1

Is it already known if characters will have their own dedicated character portraits, or will it be the way it was back in Baldur's Gate, where choosing a portrait for the player character that was assigned to an NPC would then cause this NPC to have another portrait? This was one of the few things I really didn't like about BG.

Companions will have their own discrete portraits.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There also could possibly be 9 now.

Thank goodness! Please tell me they've had the good sense to bring back Cadegund!

I wish her back too, but I think it's too late. But I count on mod power. Maybe she will be official companion in expansion or PoE 2. Don't know why they threw her away. She was the best perceived character so far and party priest changes aren't so radical. 

Well technically Cadegund is now Durance. Meadow Human Priest of Magran. I don't know why they changed it. That information is still 'unofficial' as well. It's official in the game files, but it has not been spoken about publicly at all yet.

Officially the only publicly acknowledged companions are Eder, Pallegina, Kana Rua, Aloth and Sagani. Durance, Hiravias and The Grieving Mother have not been acknowledged yet, and in the v392 files there's evidence of another female companion. They did say there would be a Fighter companion in the game, but none of the known ones are Fighters, so this could be her.

Well technically Cadegund is now Durance. Meadow Human Priest of Magran. I don't know why they changed it. That information is still 'unofficial' as well. It's official in the game files, but it has not been spoken about publicly at all yet.

Officially the only publicly acknowledged companions are Eder, Pallegina, Kana Rua, Aloth and Sagani. Durance, Hiravias and The Grieving Mother have not been acknowledged yet, and in the v392 files there's evidence of another female companion. They did say there would be a Fighter companion in the game, but none of the known ones are Fighters, so this could be her.

It should also be noted that in the game files, one of the companions is just called "Priest".

I actually just skimmed through them really-really-really-really-really quick to count how many there were total (11) as to not be truly spoiled, but I couldn't help but notice that, likely because of how the brain works with piecing together patterns from piecemeal information (whereas it obviously can't do that with names, unless it's names you are really familiar with).

I also noticed that one was simply called "Mother", which somehow feels even creepier than if it had actually been called Grieving Mother.

I'm still going to clamp my eyes together, cover my ears and keep hoping that this is all an elaborate plot and there's actually more CNPC:s in the game, because 8 is painfully, painfully few.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Since when has Edér been a fighter? Just saw in the stream his class is fighter, but I thought he was supposed to be a rogue originally?

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

His original concept was a fighter, then he was switched to a rogue, and now looks like back as a fighter again.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

His original concept was a fighter, then he was switched to a rogue, and now looks like back as a fighter again.

Really? I thought people just assumed he was a fighter from the concept art but they said his actual class was rogue, and they made it talking point on the flexibility they wanted to have in classes. Granted, I wasn't following that closely during the kickstarter, so I could very well be wrong.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Really? I thought people just assumed he was a fighter from the concept art but they said his actual class was rogue, and they made it talking point on the flexibility they wanted to have in classes. Granted, I wasn't following that closely during the kickstarter, so I could very well be wrong.

From one of the early updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/315214

Oh and we have a little piece of artwork to share as well.  The following is one of our traditional race and class combinations - the Human Fighter - but he's not just any Human Fighter. He has an integral role in the story that we will be hinting at soon. Don't worry, we will also be sharing more and more of the non-traditional options in the days and weeks to come.

image-162519-full.jpg?1348534324

Seems like a terrible shame to me. She was such a unique character concept. Now, instead of a strong, armored priestess with a blunderbuss, we get a wild-eyed loon in a dirty robe carrying around a stick.

In fact, it seems like there's very few female companions right now: just the eskimo dwarf, the feathered paladin and a potentially dead or insane woman.

Please bring back Cadegund.

• Like 5
"You shall not pass!"

Seems like a terrible shame to me. She was such a unique character concept. Now, instead of a strong, armored priestess with a blunderbuss, we get a wild-eyed loon in a dirty robe carrying around a stick.

In fact, it seems like there's very few female companions right now: just the eskimo dwarf, the feathered paladin and a potentially dead or insane woman.

a peculiar observation in light of your avatar.

that being said, am actual kinda finding it refreshing to have a priest that ISN'T a magic knight. d&d gave us a kinda wacky notion o' priest and cleric that has managed to keep its gameplay hooks firmly sunk into fantasy rpgs and crpgs alike. the proselytizing, wild-eyed zealot wearing a dirty smock, sandals and carrying a sheperd's crook is, ironically, the exception in fantasy gaming. what should be cliché is actual rare and approaching unique. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, the wild-eyed loon and the dead(?)/insane woman were concepted by Avellone. I'd pretty much run with these ideas rather than recycle the ginger with pyromaniacal tendencies.

52-lpnwn2_ch014_046.jpg

• Like 2