I wish there were more companions than just eight. Baldur's Gate 2 had something like 17 companions. Even Neverwinter Nights 2 had 12. I know we can create our own companions too, but they won't have personalities of their own like the main ones will. Finding a new companion in BG2 always felt like a reward. I think there's something to be said for that.

Then again, Planescape: Torment had 7 companions, and Obsidian is targeting that level of character depth.

• Like 4

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I wish there were more companions than just eight. Baldur's Gate 2 had something like 17 companions. Even Neverwinter Nights 2 had 12. I know we can create our own companions too, but they won't have personalities of their own like the main ones will. Finding a new companion in BG2 always felt like a reward. I think there's something to be said for that.

The backers managed to fund 8, and we are promised that they will all be well developed, fully fleshed out companions. Personally, I'd rather have fewer well developed companions than a ton of undeveloped companions like in Baldur's Gate 1.

Most likely we'll get some more companions in the impending expansion. I'm perfectly happy with the number, for my part.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I'm just going to say you guys do not want to know the answer to that question for spoiler purposes. Trust me I wish I didn't know but 

negativeman.png

I can see how some companions could be a potential spoiler(I.e. Sarevok), but most of that is due to already having skin in the game so to speak. Since I really know nothing about the story I'm not really sure any of the companions could be a spoiler, unless they're currently NPCs in the backer beta.

I really just want to know race/classes so I can start planning my party since two of the known companions are a no go for me.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

• 3 months later...

There is something I just don't understand.

EDIT: Minor spoiler warning, just in case.

Hokay. This is really confusing. It was stated many times that there will be a fighter companion. Yet it seems this is not 100% sure AFAIK. Below is a wiki list of known companions:

Click it, I dare ya: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Companion#Known_Companions

As you can see, there are 8 companions, most notably lacking a fighter companion with reference to Josh's post on somethingawful.com. But there is also this line: "There is no Barbarian, Fighter or Monk Companion." So it contradicts itself?

And then you have this guy: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Hiravias

If this is true, he fills in as the 8th companion.

So, basically, whuh? :blink:

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

There is something I just don't understand.

EDIT: Minor spoiler warning, just in case.

Hokay. This is really confusing. It was stated many times that there will be a fighter companion. Yet it seems this is not 100% sure AFAIK. Below is a wiki list of known companions:

Click it, I dare ya: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Companion#Known_Companions

As you can see, there are 8 companions, most notably lacking a fighter companion with reference to Josh's post on somethingawful.com. But there is also this line: "There is no Barbarian, Fighter or Monk Companion." So it contradicts itself?

And then you have this guy: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Hiravias

If this is true, he fills in as the 8th companion.

So, basically, whuh? blink.png

I actually added that edit you're highlighting, because apparently I'm retarded. Honestly, I have no clue either, anymore.

It's all "true" at the same time:

• There are 8 companions.
  • One of them is a Fighter.
  • The known ones are Hiravias (Orlan Druid), Edér (Human Rogue), "Grieving Mother" (Human(?) Cipher), Pellagina (Avian Godlike Paladin of the Brotherhood of the Five Suns), Durance (Human Priest of Magran), Sagani (Boreal Dwarf Ranger w/ Fox), Kana Rua (Island Aumaua Chanter), and Aloth (Pale Elf Wizard). That's 8, but no Fighter.

I thereby conclude that Pillars of Eternity is Schroedinger's Game, and exists in a state of quantum flux containing 8 Companions that simultaneously does and does not include a Fighter.

Either that, or the Fighter Companion being referred to is in fact one of the temporary companions, although it certainly doesn't sound like it judging by the source of the listed "Unknown Fighter" notation.

Ooooor, there are actually more than 8 companions in the game. I'm hoping for 16, because the severe lack of companions is one of my biggest let-downs with Pillars of Eternity so far. Baldur's Gate had 25, and the already-lacking Baldur's Gate II (only) had 17. Yes, yes, quality over quantity and all that jazz, but I like building thematic parties of interesting individuals.

Either way, some developer clarification would be nice, but we all know that won't happen. We'll have to wait until the game is released, I think. Either way, unless someone else does it, I'll edit the Wiki.

Edit: I edited the Wiki, but now I'm not sure I should've. Anyone's got a source on this Hiravias character? Where and when was he mentioned?

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

There's 8+Infinite Companions.

Adventurer's Halls, yo! :D

And then there's the Stronghold, which would have defensive mechanics, and you can leave companions at the Stronghold, and perhaps even get Stronghold Helpers/Specific-Companions that help out or improve the Stronghold (An engineer? A psychic? A builder? Farmer? Ogre? Etc. etc.)

EDIT: You might have 3 of the V.I.P companions in your party, and 2 of them back at the Stronghold etc. I don't think there's an issue with the amount of companions.

Edited by Osvir

And then there's the Stronghold, which would have defensive mechanics, and you can leave companions at the Stronghold, and perhaps even get Stronghold Helpers/Specific-Companions that help out or improve the Stronghold (An engineer? A psychic? A builder? Farmer? Ogre? Etc. etc.)

EDIT: You might have 3 of the V.I.P companions in your party, and 2 of them back at the Stronghold etc. I don't think there's an issue with the amount of companions.

The Adventurer's Hall obviously doesn't count. Mute and soulless NPC:s need not apply. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

Maybe, Nakia. However... if there is no "upkeep" at holding hired mercenaries, or a limit to how many you can have... that'd be an issue, personally.

Hm, something I brought up before... AH companions costing money over time (taking a fee or whatnot)... could work if they are stationed at the Stronghold? But they take no fee if they are in the party. That'd mean you'd be able to have as many AH companions as deep as your pockets go. Or there might be a hard cap "You can only send back Max of 10 companions to the stronghold" or something.

The Adventurer's Hall obviously doesn't count. Mute and soulless NPC:s need not apply.  :p

Of course they do, my AH companions have soul and are not mute. Abstracted personalities, banters, friendships and so on.

I'm working on a thread/template for that though :D "Mercenary Camp", in essence, share your AH companions you've made in the BB and other Players can use them in their own parties.

Edited by Osvir

I have always felt that your V.I.P. companions should get something in return for helping you out.  I know they are supposed to have their own quests that you help with and that is something.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg