It's not for multiple reasons. Check the update 70 yourself if you wanna figure out why.

Probably the most significant post in the history of the internet.

iwd games had no joinables. am not gonna bother counting storm o' zehir "companions." ps:t had seven companions, yes? nwn2 had fourteen or fifteen companions... our memory seems to be missing one. mask of the betrayer, whose companions Gromnir found disappointing save for ammon jerro, had six. maybe add kotor2... 11 or 12? regardless, nwn 2 appears to a bit o' an aberration for obsidian black isle. having fewer companions won't make the companions better, but am thinking it is safe to say that the more companions a developer adds, the less they can be developed. am thinking that obsidian has received most of their positive feedback from companions of ps:t and motb, so perhaps they is skewing more towards increased development. 

is unlikely that we will have a party of more than three or four companions at any given time, so eight companions is likely to take us a couple playthroughs-- that or some frequent party juggling. 

While I agree with you on PS:T is highlight on companions for Obsidian I have to say that there were only 3(4) classes in game and all companions where pretty unique (I only didnt like Modron), In NWN you can have only 3 or 4 people in party. I would like to have more party members availible for PoE. But I will have to deal with it.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

What makes you think we will only have three or four companions at any given time?

not know what you will do, but Gromnir will only have three or four.

HA! Good Fun!

Ah, you and your split personalities. I thought "we" included "me".

That was a good ha. And fun.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

She also gets +10 Accuracy from an active mode or ability.

Sworn enemy is an active ability, that gives bonus damage and accuracy to one enemy. See wiki article

Yes I know, I wasn't looking at the picture at the time of the post so I couldn't remember which one it was.

Aloth - We haven't heard a single word about Aloth since the Kickstarter, he was just a companion concept floated by Josh with no input from others. I must admit that the Aloth presented in the Kickstarter was among the more boring characters, but he does have the potential to be a 'nasty' sort of Elven Wizard, he doesn't look like a good-willed character.

His name also appeared in the Update 70 PE UI mockup and he also has a new portrait that we haven't seen in full detail yet, looking more grim than before.

He seems like a character that would have a perspective on animancy, and perhaps would be in favor of the darker area of animancy research.

So I'm gonna go with around 70% sure Aloth is in.

Going off one of your Codex posts Aloth is now in, yes?

So definitely Eder and Pallegina. Probably Cadegund, Sagani, Aloth and the Orlan Cipher. Maybe Forton, maybe Kana Rua, maybe "the Devil."

That puts us at nine. (What a strange bunch!)

Here's hoping they have enough zots for a full complement of 11 companions (one per class).

"You shall not pass!"

• 3 months later...

This is based upon http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Companion as of September 3rd 2014

These are the recruitable companions for your party that have been introduced so far:

Edér – a human rogue

I think I'm cool with this one, although the name Edair was better imho. Also, it seems he was a warrior (fighter) back in the day of the Kickstarter campaign. I hate the straw sticking out of his mouth in the portrait.

an unknown cipher

Bring on the orlan cipher detective, or whaddaya call 'em.

Pallegina – a Calbandra Godlike Paladin

Lookin' great. She might be a pretty interesting character to put in your team of adventurers, and I'm looking forward to it.

an unknown Priest

No clue, it was supposed to be Cadegund!

an unknown Fighter

No clue, might be human or dwarven male, after all there already are representatives of other races.

Sagani – a boreal dwarven ranger

Even though chauvinist it may look, I would probably like the dwarven character to be male, seems more "dwarvenly". Oh yeah, I forgot that people would consider it a cliche.

Kana Rua – an Aumaua Chanter

Impartial here.

Aloth – an elven wizard

After meeting Sand in NWN2 I'd say yes, that one will do nicely! Well at last I'd like to perceive him in that way.

Some more characters that were introduced during the Kickstarter Campaign:

Cadegund – a human priest, she won't be a companion in the final game

Too bad, she was such a badass. I wonder why she won't be a companion? Where is the source of this information?

Forton – a Savannah human monk, he won't be a companion in the final game

Hell yeah, in yo face, monk, in yo face... uh, what I mean is I wonder why he won't be a companion? Where is the source of this information?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

an unknown Priest

No clue, it was supposed to be Cadegund!

The source for this (PC world interview) just says:

"there is going to be a priest companion and that priest companion can give their opinion on how they feel about what’s going on"

(gender neutral 'they') - doesn't seem to suggest it's NOT Cadegund but nowhere is it confirmed that she's in.

I think there'd have been more threads made if it were confirmed she wasn't in ;)

But maybe they don't want 2 humans.

So far we've got 1 human, 1 dwarf, 1 orlan, 1 godlike, 1 elf and 1 aumaua confirmed - one of each PoE race.  So 2 slots left for the unknown/unconfirmed fighter and priest.

Or maybe they just want some surprises for the final release.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

personally I'm fine with waiting.

If it's in an update, I'll end up reading it.

But it's not something that's useful to know before I play the game (like class/race choices and basic combat rules etc - stuff that'd be in the manual).

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Cadegund is not a companion. 

That's a shame. I thought she had the best design so far.

She certainly seemed a popular character - gun-toting, boobplate-wearing, priest.

Presumably they had an idea for a more involved/interesting character arc that didn't fit her aesthetic.

• Like 2

Now I'm really curious who they are. Can you spoiler tag it?

you mean those tags that say "click me. Go on, click me! Give in to temptation, temptaaaatioooon!" ?

Kinda like the Nether-scroll.  You don't know what's in there, but you have to read it anyway :sorcerer: ... and then it can't be unread ... hilarity ensues ... or was it Hilary? Edwina?

I sent you that PM from Sensuki, open at your own risk :)

*phew*

• Like 1

Now I'm really curious who they are. Can you spoiler tag it?

you mean those tags that say "click me. Go on, click me! Give in to temptation, temptaaaatioooon!" ?

Kinda like the Nether-scroll.  You don't know what's in there, but you have to read it anyway :sorcerer: ... and then it can't be unread ... hilarity ensues ... or was it Hilary? Edwina?

Yep, one of these ;P

I sent you that PM from Sensuki, open at your own risk :)

Thanks!

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21