In the latest series of Sensuki's speculations, I will present what I speculate to be the final eight companions of the game.

Three companions are already confirmed:

Edér - Male Thyrtan (Human) Rogue
Pallegina - Female Godlike (Hylea) Paladin

confirmed by Josh Sawyer

Unnamed - Hearth Orlan Cipher (Detective in the Dunryd Row)

confirmed by Chris Avellone

No other companions have been 100% confirmed but here are the five others that I think are in

Cadegund - Female Human Priestess of Magran

An in-game priest of her likeness was shown off in the Update 78 priest spell videos. 

She was also featured in the Update 70 Character Sheet mockup.

Josh has talked a little bit about Cadegund - what melee weapon she uses and why she wears plate armor. 

Cadegund is a priestess of Magran which is the deity that has the largest following in the Dyrwood. She is a good medium through which to convey the history and perspective of The Saint's War from the perspective of one of Magran's followers (the ones who created the Godhammer bomb).

I am not sure if there is a faction in the game associated with Readceras or Eothas (Knights of the Crucible?), but the worship of Magran is banned in Readceras. There is an interesting potential for conflict between her and another companion, and she also has a world agenda from which to build upon.

Cadegund would also be a character that the player could meet early in the game, because her being at the Dyrford would make sense because the PE team built a Temple in the Dyrford, which is likely a Temple to Magran.

Therefore I am 99% sure that Cadegund is in.

Sagani - Sagani was featured in the Update 70 PE UI mockup (which I doubt contained misleading information). Josh has talked briefly about Sagani on these forums, and has stated that she will have an animal companion from her homeland. 

Chris Avellone also seems to really like Sagani's concept as well and has mentioned her in a few of his PE and Kickstarter presentations.

There was also a recent post on Something Awful where someone said that Sagani is a good in-game representation of someone they know, and Josh thought that was a cool post.

Sagani's concept is also just too cool to drop. Dwarf Rangers were not possible in 2E AD&D and almost never seen in 3E/3.5E, so it's a breath of fresh air.

So yeah probably 95% sure Sagani is in.

Aloth - We haven't heard a single word about Aloth since the Kickstarter, he was just a companion concept floated by Josh with no input from others. I must admit that the Aloth presented in the Kickstarter was among the more boring characters, but he does have the potential to be a 'nasty' sort of Elven Wizard, he doesn't look like a good-willed character.

His name also appeared in the Update 70 PE UI mockup and he also has a new portrait that we haven't seen in full detail yet, looking more grim than before.

He seems like a character that would have a perspective on animancy, and perhaps would be in favor of the darker area of animancy research.

So I'm gonna go with around 70% sure Aloth is in.

Kana Rua - Aumaua Chanter

There must be a class in the game that represents the Aumaua and it makes sense for there being a Chanter companion because it is a 'new' class that is specific to the game. Her portrait was posted in Update 78. It was not confirmed that she was a companion, but she has a name and a portrait and being an Aumaua and a Chanter, her character archetype fits what is missing from the PE companion lineup.

80% Kana Rua is a companion.

The Devil of Caroc - Unknown Fighter

This name appeared as a companion in the Update 70 PE UI mockup. People were like "who's the Devil of Caroc" ?

Josh Sawyer revealed that PE would have a Fighter companion in the Update 78 thread. It is possible that The Devil of Caroc is this Fighter Companion. The name sounds "Fighter-y". Could be another godlike due to having such a weird name.

60% The Devil of Caroc is PE's Fighter companion.

------

There may be more than 8 companions, but at this stage it looks like Forton has been dropped, or perhaps postponed for the Expansion or something. His character is kind of weird. The name doesn't really suit the place in the world where he is from as the language rules were developed after he was. A Human monk isn't the most interesting thing in the world either.

• Like 6

I think they'll go with 2 tanks, 2 leaders, 2 single-target damage dealers (probably Sagani + Edér) and 2 crowd controllers (cipher + mage seems likely). Question is, do paladins count as tanks or leaders?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Yay, no Forton in this speculation.

Kana Rua - Aumaua Chanter

It was not confirmed that she was a companion

Gender was also not confirmed.

Josh Sawyer revealed that PE would have a Fighter companion in the Update 78 thread. It is possible that The Devil of Caroc is this Fighter Companion. The name sounds "Fighter-y". Could be another godlike due to having such a weird name.

I doubt that devs would put two godlike companions in the main campaign, just as any other two: orlans, elves, et cetera.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Why not? Godlike can be of any parent race and there's lots of subtypes. They seem to be the most obvious choice for a second companion other than human.

I'm positive that Kana Rua is female. Her features look female.

There's four males

Eder, Orlan Cipher, Devil of Caroc and Aloth

Four females

Pallegina, Cadegund, Sagani, Kana Rua  

:p

A Male human and female human and a male and female godlike too (if the Devil of Caroc is a godlike). Covers all bases.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Possibly the Death Godlike we saw in a previous update.

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

Leader.

The only tank classes in the game are Fighter and Monk, I'm not sure if they've considered having two companions of each role.

And barbarians? Or do they count as melee crowd control?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I think barbs are more melee crowd control than tank. Their damage-soaking capabilities appear to be relatively limited. Thick Skinned means they risk less when getting beat on, but they'll still drop much faster than fighters (stamina regen, self-heal) or monks (convert Wounds to attacks).

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

We might get more than 8 companions as well. The "More Wilderness Areas+More Companions" late stretchgoal~

It would be fantastic to find 11 companions, 1 for each class.

And did I miss something, was Forton canned?

EDIT: It seems he might be a developed character in the world though, he's the only one on the Wiki entry that has this:
http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Savannah_human#Savannah_human

"Forton - A natlan monk."

But it might be true that "Forton" is a name that isn't the final name, though, Savannah (or Natlan) humans might have a different naming~

"Male names: Aldwyn, Beacwof, Ethelmoer, Furly, Hafmacg, Unfric"

Edited by Osvir

@Kjaamor: That makes an awful lot of sense, because Player character should be the one to have been in the party for the longest time. But at the same time that is quite an over the top obvious thing "The creator of this party has been in the party for the longest time out of all party members! In case, you know, you didn't know".

So either it is super obvious, or it is a party companion. Thirdly, it might be a cryptic puzzle piece towards the central plot~

In the spirit of the IE games, some of the stats are blindingly obvious. That was my take.

Aside from anything else, Devil of Caroc just sounds so incredibly PC rather than companion, but again, my take.

Surely "The Devil of Caroc" refers to the PC? That was my assumption.

I thought this first too, but on the top stands <Playername> Reputations. I think it's unlikely they use one time a nickname and the second time a variable.

Edited by Prometheus

In the spirit of the IE games, some of the stats are blindingly obvious. That was my take.

Aside from anything else, Devil of Caroc just sounds so incredibly PC rather than companion, but again, my take.

Now that you mention it, I think it's pretty likely that he's not a canonical companion, but one who was generated in the Adventurer's Hall.

I'm positive that Kana Rua is female. Her features look female.

There's four males

Eder, Orlan Cipher, Devil of Caroc and Aloth

Four females

Pallegina, Cadegund, Sagani, Kana Rua  

:p

And the reason that the Devil of Caroc is male is? Don't get me wrong, but you make a lot of assumptions  ;)

Why not? Godlike can be of any parent race and there's lots of subtypes. They seem to be the most obvious choice for a second companion other than human.

I think that the safest bet would be a human. Humans are the most typical race in all fantasy. Of course this just might be a good reason to break the conventions.

• Like 1

In the latest series of Sensuki's speculations

Yes I did.

Of course this just might be a good reason to break the conventions.

Well there's 25 Combinations of Godlike based on the parent races and godlike types available on the wiki (there may be more), that's not counting ethnicity types, which if you include those there are 90 different combinations of Godlike.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Caroc and Death Godlike makes so much sense. Dat name.

Maybe not 'Caroc' but 'Devil'. I admit that might be it, like from some legend of an offworld-y entity being a bitch somewhere near a settlement called Caroc. Peasants called it the 'devil' out of fear, prejudice and/or lack of knowledge. A godlike makes more sense now.

• Like 3

Don't forget that Josh is very well versed linguistically, especially in the tongues of the British Isles.

And so was of course Tolkien, as you all know. He, too, had a Carrock in his books, but there it was

a stony eyot in the upper reaches of the River Anduin, to the north of the Old Ford a few miles west of Beorn's farmstead.

During their journey to the Lonely Mountain (Erebor), Thorin and Company were housed there overnight by the Eagles before they went to see Beorn.

Gandalf states that the steps from the base of the rock to the flat top were made by Beorn and that "Carrock" is Beorn's name for it. 

"Carrock" is somewhat of a linguistic joke on Tolkien's part; in Anglo-Saxon carr means "rock" and in Welsh, carreg also means "rock, stone". So, basically, Josh's Caroc most likely means stone-stone, that is, something super-duper-tough!!

Devil certainly increases the possibility of a godlike, but I'm not so sure it's a death godlike, but rather a nature/stone/earth-elemental godlike.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***