JURASSIC PARKWORLD aka JURASSIC WORLD

Bryy

You all know what I'm talking about. The fourth Jurassic Park film that has been in the works forever. That Speilberg himself wanted to direct, but isn't. Well, now it is a reality. Coming out June 12th of 2015, and there's no thread about it yet?

What a bunch of losers you all are.

No, really, I love you all, don't ban me. 

I'm sure by now you've all read the spoilers (which are probably true), and have seen some videos. 

What we know:

- Chris Pratt is in it as an awesome guy. He's a dinosaur trainer, and Owen is a mix of Malcolm and Grant. He lives in a shed and trailer combo away from the main facilities and housing.

- Jurassic World, from concept art, will be roughly the size of Disneyworld Proper. 

- No feathers, although the rumored inclusion of Henry Wu means they might touch on this. It is 2014, I'd be pissed if they didn't. Even in the book, they explained why the dinosaurs had no feathers.

- The theme park has been operational for a long enough time for the inclusion of about a dozen species.

- It will be set in the future as to allow for believability. The going rumor is 22 years. So 2037. But other than some light cosmetic changes, nothing will seem sci-fi in aesthetics. So expect holograms (in fact, holograms will be reportedly used as both information outposts as well as a high-tech version of JP1's tour of the labs), but don't expect hover jeeps.

- In-Gen is a rumor, but no BioSyn (Dodgson's company).

• Like 1

Steven Spielberg is Michael Bay with better storytelling and now it seems that he's going the way of George Lucas.

Make something new already!!

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Steven Spielberg is Michael Bay with better storytelling and now it seems that he's going the way of George Lucas.

Make something new already!!

This is new.

Think of it as a side sequel.

- Jurassic World, from concept art, will be roughly the size of Disneyworld Proper.

I read that as Disneyworld Prosper*. Sadly, I suspect that would actually improve the movie.

*Can't blame myself, mention of 'concept art' and the capitalisation of Proper...

I read that as Disneyworld Prosper*. Sadly, I suspect that would actually improve the movie.

*Can't blame myself, mention of 'concept art' and the capitalisation of Proper...

"Everyone quiet. They're entering Carnivore Central."

You all know what I'm talking about. The fourth Jurassic Park film that has been in the works forever. That Speilberg himself wanted to direct, but isn't. Well, now it is a reality. Coming out June 12th of 2015, and there's no thread about it yet?

What a bunch of losers you all are.

No, really, I love you all, don't ban me. 

I'm sure by now you've all read the spoilers (which are probably true), and have seen some videos. 

What we know:

- Chris Pratt is in it as an awesome guy. He's a dinosaur trainer, and Owen is a mix of Malcolm and Grant. He lives in a shed and trailer combo away from the main facilities and housing.

- No feathers, although the rumored inclusion of Henry Wu means they might touch on this. It is 2014, I'd be pissed if they didn't. Even in the book, they explained why the dinosaurs had no feathers.

- The theme park has been operational for a long enough time for the inclusion of about a dozen species.

- It will be set in the future as to allow for believability. The going rumor is 22 years. So 2037. But other than some light cosmetic changes, nothing will seem sci-fi in aesthetics. So expect holograms (in fact, holograms will be reportedly used as both information outposts as well as a high-tech version of JP1's tour of the labs), but don't expect hover jeeps.

- In-Gen is a rumor, but no BioSyn (Dodgson's company).

This is good news and will be a "must watch in 3D "  for me :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Orogun, Spielberg isn't even making this. He's just on as a producer, and Spielberg is famously hands-off as a producer (with the infamous exception of Poltergeist).

Honestly, rebooting this thing is probably the best thing to happen (even if it's a soft reboot). Jurassic Park was awesome, but the sequels were... disappointing, to say the least. I can't wait. Honestly, Jurassic Park is to me what Star Wars is to most. It is also the first film I saw in theatres. There's only one way to go from Jurassic Park 3, and that's up. Back to the basics of a dinosaur zoo gone wrong. I could watch a million variations of that.

Pretty much everyone involved is super talented. Directed by Colin Trevorrow, who first came into public notice with the wonderfully quirky Audrey Plaza vehicle "Safety Not Guaranteed". In addition to Chris Pratt, also starring Bryce Dallas Howard, Omar Sy (of Intouchables fame) and the always intense Vincent D'Onofrio. Yes, you are correct, Private Gomer Pyle is going to be chased by dinosaurs.

• Like 1

That is what I said two posts ago.

Honestly, Jurassic Park is to me what Star Wars is to most. It is also the first film I saw in theatres.

Anyway, the sequels aren't as good, but the first Jurassic Park movie is a classic tale of nature against man and still one of the finest examples of blockbuster filmmaking where theme, plot and believability is still central to the experience. All the actors, while not giving a lot to do, are in top form and even the scenes without dinosaurs are a joy to watch. It's also still one of the best special effect movies and a lot of the effects heavy shots still hold up better than movies that came out recently. It's chock full of iconic moments, it's almost worth watching for the soundtrack alone, and last but not least, it is simply put, the only good dinosaur movie I have ever seen.

I'm not going to deny that it's predictable, but honestly I don't find that to be an inherent downside to anything except for a mystery movie. Unexpected twists are nice, but sometimes a story can just play out and still be awesome.
Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

Oh dear. Did this series really need a sequel anymore? Two lackluster sequels (to a good movie) already... meh, Hollywood.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

What was so great about it exactly. I'd watch them once for the effects mostly. They are pretty predictable you know. I'm thinking this is the nostalgia effect in action, like Starwars or whatever. 

Gorgon I don't think you understand the appeal of these series :ermm:

These are the movies with Dinosaurs in them....you underestimate the allure of Dinosaurs

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How about dinosaurs with laser cannons strapped to their backs ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kML8nHGIsRw

:lol:

Valid point, not all Dinosaurs have the same popularity

John Milton 

It was a cure for insomnia?

I liked the 1st and third movies well enough, but I'm pretty down on the whole idea of remakes/ reimaginings/ soft reboots and the like right now. They're just boring and unimaginative cash grabs scrabbling in the dust for the gems that made the originals good (hint: often it was that they were original) in 90% of the cases. This is better than, say, rebooting spiderman barely after the celluloid had cooled on Spidey3 since there's been a longer period of time and it isn't necessarily a reboot but when I think about movies that need sequels and that I'm waiting for JP ain't going to be on the first page.

Really, I blame Indy 4. I liked the 1st and 3rd movies there as well, but had no real wish to see a fourth instalment let alone what was actually supplied as the fourth instalment. While Lucas tends to get a lot of the blame for that mess Spielberg was also involved, and it was an 'in continuity' sequel rather than a reboot. And it didn't go well.

My interest is piqued, of course, but a lot is going to ride on that first trailer and seeing it "in action" so to speak.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dinosaurs are so yesteryear...

I liked the first movie though. saw it in the cinema. Great entertainment.

Sat through the second one when it was shown in "free tv" (what ever commercial financed tv is called in your part of the world) and found the commercials better than the movie.

Saw first half of the third movie, switched to football during a commercial break and didn't get back to it.

The fourth movie will have to present a pretty convincing case.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Excerpts from an interview with Trevow:

- What do you feel are the biggest misconceptions from the leaked rumors about the Jurassic World story versus the real screenplay?

That’s the thing about leaks, sometimes they aren’t misinterpreted or false. They’re real story elements that the filmmakers were hoping to introduce to the audience in a darkened movie theater. But unfortunately, in 2014, you read about it on a computer. Last week was discouraging for everyone on our crew–not because we want to hide things from the fans, but because we’re working so hard to create something full of surprises. When I was a kid, you got to discover everything at once, it washed over you and blew your mind. Now it only takes one person to spoil it for everyone else. I hope whoever leaked it is actively trying to undermine what we’re doing. Because if they’re trying to help, they’re doing it wrong.

- So the rumors are true?

Yes. Jurassic World takes place in a fully functional park on Isla Nublar. It sees more than 20,000 visitors every day. You arrive by ferry from Costa Rica. It has elements of a biological preserve, a safari, a zoo, and a theme park. There is a luxury resort with hotels, restaurants, nightlife and a golf course. And there are dinosaurs. Real ones. You can get closer to them than you ever imagined possible. It’s the realization of John Hammond’s dream, and I think you’ll want to go there.

- How long has elapsed since the third film and how has the world we knew from those films changed in that time?

This film picks up twenty-two years after Jurassic Park. When Derek [Connolly] and I sat down to find the movie, we looked at the past two decades and talked about what we’ve seen. Two things came to the surface.

One was that money has been the gasoline in the engine of our biggest mistakes. If there are billions to be made, no one can resist them, even if they know things could end horribly.

The other was that our relationship with technology has become so woven into our daily lives, we’ve become numb to the scientific miracles around us. We take so much for granted.

Those two ideas felt like they could work together. What if, despite previous disasters, they built a new biological preserve where you could see dinosaurs walk the earth…and what if people were already kind of over it? We imagined a teenager texting his girlfriend with his back to a T-Rex behind protective glass. For us, that image captured the way much of the audience feels about the movies themselves. “We’ve seen CG dinosaurs. What else you got?” Next year, you’ll see our answer.

- What are the relationships between the main characters and the dinosaurs? Are there “good guy” and “bad guy” dinosaurs in the movie?

There’s no such thing as good or bad dinosaurs. There are predators and prey. The T-Rex in Jurassic Park took human lives, and saved them. No one interpreted her as good or bad. This film is about our relationship with animals, how we react to the threat they pose to our dominance on earth as a species. We hunt them, we cage them in zoos, we admire them from afar and we try to assert control over them.

Chris Pratt’s character is doing behavioral research on the raptors. They aren’t trained, they can’t do tricks. He’s just trying to figure out the limits of the relationship between these highly intelligent creatures and human beings. If people don’t think there’s potential in those ideas, maybe they won’t like this movie. But I ask them to give it a chance.

- Will there be crossbred dinosaurs or new species created for the movie?

We were hoping audiences could discover this on their own, but yes, there will be one new dinosaur created by the park’s geneticists. The gaps in her sequence were filled with DNA from other species, much like the genome in the first film was completed with frog DNA. This creation exists to fulfill a corporate mandate—they want something bigger, louder, with more teeth. And that’s what they get.

I know the idea of a modified dinosaur put a lot of fans on red alert, and I understand it. But we aren’t doing anything here that Crichton didn’t suggest in his novels. This animal is not a mutant freak. It doesn’t have a snake’s head or octopus tentacles. It’s a dinosaur, created in the same way the others were, but now the genetics have gone to the next level. For me, it’s a natural evolution of the technology introduced in the first film. Maybe it sounds crazy, but most of my favorite movies sound crazy when you describe them in a single sentence.

- What makes Jurassic World different than the previous three Jurassic Park films?

That’s something you’ll have to tell me after you see it. We’re trying to tell a bold new story that doesn’t rely on a proven formula, because the movies we watch over and over again are the ones that surprised us, that worked when they shouldn’t have.

I understand the risks of leaving the safe zone. We’ve all been disappointed by new installments of the stories we love. But with all this talk of filmmakers “ruining our childhood”, we forget that right now is someone else’s childhood. This is their time. And I have to build something that can take them to the same place those earlier films took us. It may not happen in the same way everyone expects it to, but it’s the way I believe it needs to happen.

Honestly, the biggest misconception on this movie is that there’s some massive conference room at the studio where all these cynical story decisions are made. There is no committee. Universal has given us the resources to tell the story we want to tell, on the scale we want to tell it. Will this one be different from the other movies? You bet it will. And I’m not going to pass the buck if it doesn’t work. This one’s on me.