How would you make a real-time with pause MMO anyway?

What happens if a player pauses the game and then just leaves? Is the entire server stuck?

disable pausing when multiplayer.

The World of Darkness MMO sounded kinda interesting, before it got shelved...But an MMO certainly isn't anything I would want Obsidian to work on..

exactly. think its better for Torment or wasteland 2, cxause of the 3-D

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

I also don't understand the laughing stock comment, since working on games means they have a money influx, somewhere in the pipeline. Which can only be good for an independent studio.

You guys obviously go different places than me...

Also, no, it doesn't mean that. With another game, yes... develop, money, end.

However, we're talking about a MMO here... a F2P MMO even. Which means that thinking doesn't apply. It's instead "develop, develop some more, money, develop more, develop more... develop more"

In that way it's even worse than making a hand-held game or educational game, since it's money also comes still with an expense... AND A RESOURCE-COST. Of people who could be on other games.

As such, yes, I do find reason to complain or be worried for MMO's from Obsidian compared to ANYTHING else to make money. If you don't see why, maybe you're the short-sighted one?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Obsidian can't be working on it - F2P model or not - if there wasn't money coming in to work on the project.

In essence, you're arguing that Obsidian is working on it for free out of the goodness of their hearts until at some point in the future some money might roll in. They're nice guys, and all, but I don't see Urquhart et al being THAT nice.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's pretty much how game design finances work.

You get money to make game, you make game... afterwards you get your profits based on sales (and sometimes bonusses like the infamous 85% metacritic New Vegas).

EDIT: Oh, in some cases some own money is put in then the proto is given to publishers for more financial support. If that doesn't work out, obviously you get a loss.

If the game bombs... in the best case you play equal... (provided you didn't go overbudget. Or the overbudget was financed by the publisher instead of your own finances) but of course, you wasted a whole bunch of time, need to have some in reserve to keep yourself up to the next game, and hope it doesn't affect your reputation making it less likely to get in a next deal.

It's not being nice or not... it's the way the industry works... But I guess not knowing that explains your points and views in this thread....

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

My only point was that they had to have some money upfront on the project which means money coming into the company as my understanding was that my.com (I think that was the Russian company) was acting as the "publisher" - ie funding the production.

You seem to be arguing that Obsidian is acting as the "publisher" and thus investing their own money into the development which may be true, but would indeed be news to me.

If I'm right, then yes Obsidian is getting money upfront. If you are right, then yes Obsidian is investing their money into development in the hopes of a return.

Obviously, I thought we were talking about the former and not the latter with regard to Obsidians money flow and "work for free".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Money influx" implies they are getting profits.

But they're not... they just get the money... but they need to invest it into the game. They can't just hightail away with it. So the balance would end up at 0. That's not what 'money influx' sounds to me.

The money influx would be on a regular game with sales. And then development is over. With MMO's however, it comes a lot more from expended duration. While that sounds great (who doesn't like more money over a longer period of time) the downside would be that that moneyflow is coupled with still an active development (which is again costing money, and taking personal resources).

It really depends on your strategy if "quick lot of money" or "longer time less money" is the best. But it's also that one will open up people for other projects, while the other hoards people still onto it. So if you want to make quality RPG's one is clearly beneficial to the other since it will allow you to work on RPG's again, while the other keeps you permanent working on other titles instead...

So with that in mind, I can clearly state that I don't like it, or looks good towards more quality RPG's from Obsidian...

^

Okay, to me being paid to produce something would be a "money influx" as it keeps the company flush with capital with which to operate, whereas I'd characterize any money's needed over the production as "profit", but I see how we started talking at cross purposes. I only did one course in accounting 20-something years ago so perhaps my terminology is inaccurate.

I seem to recall that Feargus had said in the past about lining up projects to keep people busy; it could be a project like this would allow them to rotate people in and out of development as other projects begin/end. However it could also become a permanent time/money/personnel sink, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Edited by Amentep

@OP:

My opinion is that I sincerely hope PoE does not tread into MMO land, but I would gladly accept some sort of Multiplayer elements. Co-operative play. 2-6 Players kind of deal.

Though, something that would be most interesting I think is a sort of Multiplayer experience but with a DM (Dungeon Master) to simulate a PnP (Pen & Paper) experience. That, I think, would be most awesome.

Imagine having an empty canvas, one area or two where the Players spawn that expands when the Player travels. The Players then decide where to go, what they want to do, and they consult the DM in dice rolls and the DM can also place monster spawns, areas, NPC's who confront the Players and also respond directly in dialogue windows. The Players could write their own choices, instead of having "1, 2, 3" and the DM would respond directly to whatever the Player writes. Granted, there'd have to be tons of more features.

A sort of interactive Level Editor for a DM, and for the Players it'd be an Infinity Engine experience.

Why hasn't a game like this spawned yet? :p

• Like 5

From who?

Pretty much every RPG-fan I know/RPG-forums that talks about Obsidian/It's announcement thread here/probably more places

@ Teknoman; How did that work out for the KOTOR-games?

in what sense? 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

@OP:

My opinion is that I sincerely hope PoE does not tread into MMO land, but I would gladly accept some sort of Multiplayer elements. Co-operative play. 2-6 Players kind of deal.

Though, something that would be most interesting I think is a sort of Multiplayer experience but with a DM (Dungeon Master) to simulate a PnP (Pen & Paper) experience. That, I think, would be most awesome.

Imagine having an empty canvas, one area or two where the Players spawn that expands when the Player travels. The Players then decide where to go, what they want to do, and they consult the DM in dice rolls and the DM can also place monster spawns, areas, NPC's who confront the Players and also respond directly in dialogue windows. The Players could write their own choices, instead of having "1, 2, 3" and the DM would respond directly to whatever the Player writes. Granted, there'd have to be tons of more features.

A sort of interactive Level Editor for a DM, and for the Players it'd be an Infinity Engine experience.

Why hasn't a game like this spawned yet? :p

Oh, it pretty much has: Neverwinter Nights 1 (and 2 to a certain extent)! You just had to pick the right persistent worlds with great DMs. No multiplayer experience on a computer has ever surpassed that to me. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Obsidian's forte has always been writing, so I'm not exactly sure what is the expectation here. The nature of MMOs in and of itself excludes any one player having even a slight impact on the gameworld in a manner that would be consistent across all players' games. Whenever playing with others everyone has to pretend the others didn't do the exact same quests, too -- even more so if you take the Guild Wars approach and have everyone be the one hero of the realm. Roleplaying in MMOs invariably comes down to either persistent soloing (defeating the point of playing MP in the first place) or essentially just ignoring the stories the devs create and making up your own. The latter you can do in any MMO -- I don't see the point in hiring the best writers in the industry to hand you a blank page.

Edited by Sad Panda

Nothing would enhance the experience of PoE's richly detailed game world and elaborate storyline quite like being ganked and teabagged by a group of powergaming 13 year olds, accompanied by cries of 'LOL get rekt shrub'  

• Like 6

in what sense?

Being MMO-fied...

^

in what sense?

Being MMO-fied...

being MMO-fied and having an MMO in the setting are 2 different things.

they gave up on a KOTOR3 to make TOR, and while TOR was an above average game overall, it just couldnt compare to what it could have been if it was KOTOR3

now an MMO set in a world used for single player games, is not bad by default, so long as it does not **** on it's source or becomes an excuse to stop making single player games in that setting

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

But then the MMO would be kind of pointless, since you can simply play the much better singleplayer games they release instead of 'being the only way to still get some of that game-series'...

• Like 2

^

I might be wrong, but the PoE backers doesn't seem like the target audience for another MMORPG, most of us backed this game because its single player cRPG, and large portion of the backers seem to venomously denounce anything MMORPG(or aRPG) related, and have a kneejerk reaction whenever anything(mechanic or style) is even vaguely associated with it.

• Like 4

Could Eternity spin off into an MMO?  Sure.  Will it happen?  Probably not.  First it needs more games to establish itself.  Second Obsidian is not a big enough company to run an MMO by themselves.  Third, they don't have enough experience at making MMO's.  Single player RPG's are what they do best, let them focus on their strengths at least for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Don't understand why this discussion still persists when Bryy pointed out all the important points on the first page.

Not only does OE not have the capacity right now, more importantly the cost of creating a "traditional" MMORPG like WoW is prohibitively high.

Besides what any of us fans want, without BIG Publisher dollars there is no chance in hell.

"I might be wrong, but the PoE backers doesn't seem like the target audience for another MMORPG, most of us backed this game because its single player cRPG, and large portion of the backers seem to venomously denounce anything MMORPG(or aRPG) related, and have a kneejerk reaction whenever anything(mechanic or style) is even vaguely associated with it."

The people who backed  POE (I'm one of them) are such a minor % of  who buys games - Obsidian or otherwise0- that their opinions are of such minor importance in the grand scheme of things. The arrogance needed to think otherwise is hilarious.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

^ Obsidian MMORPG might be received well by the general public, but most of the people who backed PoE has backed it because it is what it's, hence the "PoE backers doesn't seem like the target audience" for this endeavor. I am fully aware what a niche market we are, I also know that if Obsidian turn it into a MMORPG it will loose a lot of core fans, and to assume that they can compete against giant titles like KoToR is what arrogant and hilarious.

Edited by Mor

@OP:

PoE is a kickstarted story-driven party based RPG. As I see it, besides the fact people want such games made, it means one more thing: devs are passionate to make such (i.e. story-driven) games. They have probably the best narrative designers in genre for now. While in MMOs narrative design always was on the second if not the third role, not to mention it has different development price and certain requirements on permanent devs attention after release. Would they want to make MMO in this setting in first place?

IMO such project could be considered by devs depending on a popularity of PoE after its releasing. Which is hardly will get to the sky since it is indeed a niche game with "a lots of reading and NO EXP FOR KILLING! *getting heart attack*".

Hello everybody,

I respect and understand the decision to make PoE a single-player formatted title...

No, I don't think you do.

POE isn't just a single player CRPG. It's a retro-style, made to order single player RPG that has already been ordered. This thread is pointless.

But what about an MMORPG of the same style game? Say something similar to EVE or WoW at $15/month to enjoy years of the PoE universe. I know several players already that play MMO's and are already enjoying the beta of a soon-to-release Wildstar. They were huge IWD and BG fans and I'm sure if they had a choice of something like this, they'd bite.

<sigh>

Don't you guys have your own little section of the internet where you can hang out and discuss your proposed MMO-ization of the gaming world? Why don't you go there and leave us alone.

• Like 3

How would you make a real-time with pause MMO anyway?

You can't.

And that's why this entire discussion is banal. The thread starter is basically asking for a game of a different Genre to be made carrying the POE name.

Hey, Why stop there? Why don't we go to the Blizzard forums and ask for a party based isometric, single player, real time with pause, story-heavy RPG called WOW. Then later we can float our proposal to Activision to make a fantasy RPG version of call of duty with swords and magic.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

Hell no. 

I'm currently playing an MMO and have played two others, and I like my solidly-written single-player iso CRPGs. NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET.

Edit to add:

Oh shoot, OP is trolling. Walked right over that trap, oh well.

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)