Dragon Age: Inquistion

"but if they is gonna force broken toys 'pon us,"

Most of the npcs aren't forced on you. Isabella certainly isn't. And, she actually grows to be trustworthy.It's called CHARACTER GROWTH..

our recollection is that regardless o' how well you treat her, isabella will betray your trust in chapter 2. she takes advantage o' some chaos to abscond with some kinda book, yes? so yeah, becoming more untrustworthy is a kinda growth. sure, you can get her to do a kinda redemption thing, but that nonsense were pretty darn silly too. 

HA! Good Fun!

edit: we will observe that in positive contrast to mass effect 2, the da2 companions had fewer "daddy" issues. that were a kinda positive... am s'posing. nevertheless, save for the pragmatic desire to fill out a party, we could not imagine any rational version of hawke having any da2 companion accompany them save for the dwarf and the knight.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"but if they is gonna force broken toys 'pon us,"

Most of the npcs aren't forced on you. Isabella certainly isn't. And, she actually grows to be trustworthy.It's called CHARACTER GROWTH..

our recollection is that regardless o' how well you treat her, isabella will betray your trust in chapter 2. she takes advantage o' some chaos to abscond with some kinda book, yes? so yeah, becoming more untrustworthy is a kinda growth. sure, you can get her to do a kinda redemption thing, but that nonsense were pretty darn silly too. 

HA! Good Fun!

She did betray me but through the Desire demon and so did the someone else ( I can't remember who) but I forgave her and she became a committed member of the party and a valuable addition in combat

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not sure what the score is for. You don't think Obsidian should go the Bioware route and do rpgs for the mass market like Bioware have done?

It's a troll rating, for the quality of your troll post. You're getting better, 7/10 might get trolled again.

In that case. 0/10 for your troll post. Considering I was asking a serious question. And another poster who doesn't answer simple questions. No idea why people find it so hard to answer simple questions. Bioware sells games with their type/style of rpg. They're quite successful at it.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

aside: observing that we liked 3 of the 7 da 2 companions is not actual bad. ps:t, our favorite crpg, had two excellent companions (morte and dak'kon) and a couple we liked in spite o' some serious flaws (nordom and annah.) the rest? meh. ravel puzzlewell were the best character in the game, but not a companion.  regardless, rare does we have a game for which we likes more than 50% of the party npcs.  for us, as long as we have a few good/great companions, the "meh" party members is adequate as long as they is still useful beyond story elements.

on the other hand, with some games virtual all the companions is meh or worse. heck, hate for companions is, to our way o' thinking, better than complete forgettable. am talking to you arcanum.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not sure what the score is for. You don't think Obsidian should go the Bioware route and do rpgs for the mass market like Bioware have done?

It's a troll rating, for the quality of your troll post. You're getting better, 7/10 might get trolled again.

In that case. 0/10 for your troll post. Considering I was asking a serious question. And another poster who doesn't answer simple questions. No idea why people find it so hard to answer simple questions. Bioware sells games with their type/style of rpg. They're quite successful at it.

To be honest there is something about your posting style where I also don't think you are being serious at times. Its not all the time but there have been examples where I thought  you were trolling, like the rise of homophobia in Uganda and I thought you were being dismissive of the issue. And I'm not sure exactly what it is so I can't say "its how you ask questions" but you do create the perception of trolling. Anyway going forward I am going to assume you are always serious so you and I won't have this misunderstanding again :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

To be honest there is something about your posting style where I also don't think you are being serious at times. Its not all the time but there have been examples where I thought  you were trolling, like the rise of homophobia in Uganda and I thought you were being dismissive of the issue. And I'm not sure exactly what it is so I can't say "its how you ask questions" but you do create the perception of trolling. Anyway going forward I am going to assume you are always serious so you and I won't have this misunderstanding again :)

Ah okay. So you basically jump to conclusions. And if you're not sure, you immediately think I'm trolling? Nice little judgemental admission you made there. And homophobia in Uganda? WTF? Where did that come from? I mean, wow. just wow. And where have I been dismissive of homophobia in Uganda? I never have. But nice trying to suggest I was.

Looking at the Uganda thread, I was calling you out on you downplaying corrective rape in South Africa. You said it wasn't common. I responded and linked an article which suggests it does seem to be common and after a page or two of going back and forth, you finally admitted and said, "Corrective rape happens in South Africa, the article is correct". I know you're nationalistic about South Africa and always want to jump on the bandwagon on how progressive South Africa is but when someone posts something that's terrible in your country, you shouldn't be all 'oh that's not common' and downplay it. That's just an insult to all those women who are effected by it. And it wasn't me that brought up corrective rape in the thread. I was responding to your downplaying of the issue to another poster.

So when I asked questions in this thread like wouldn't it be better to ask women on how women are portrayed in games, you immediately think I'm trolling? Which is why it took so many posts with your dodging and weaving and avoiding the question for you to finally answer the question. :-

Perhaps it's best to not immediately think people are trolling and just answer questions when they are very simple questions. Only one person (Orogun01) answered the question about Obsidian taking pointers from Bioware and going down the route that Bioware has done and I can certainly understand Orogun01's concerns for Obsidian not to do Bioware style rpgs. But then it's just easy for some to troll my posts like AGX-17 has done, eh. :thumbsup:

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Ah okay. So you basically jump to conclusions. And if you're not sure, you immediately think I'm trolling? Nice little judgemental admission you made there. And homophobia in Uganda? WTF? Where did that come from? I mean, wow. just wow. And where have I been dismissive of homophobia in Uganda? I never have. But nice trying to suggest I was.

Looking at the Uganda thread, I was calling you out on you downplaying corrective rape in South Africa. You said it wasn't common. I responded and linked an article which suggests it does seem to be common and after a page or two of going back and forth, you finally admitted and said, "Corrective rape happens in South Africa, the article is correct". I know you're nationalistic about South Africa and always want to jump on the bandwagon on how progressive South Africa is but when someone posts something that's terrible in your country, you shouldn't be all 'oh that's not common' and downplay it. That's just an insult to all those women who are effected by it. And it wasn't me that brought up corrective rape in the thread. I was responding to your downplaying of the issue to another poster.

So when I asked questions in this thread like wouldn't it be better to ask women on how women are portrayed in games, you immediately think I'm trolling? Which is why it took so many posts with your dodging and weaving and avoiding the question for you to finally answer the question. :-

Perhaps it's best to not immediately think people are trolling and just answer questions when they are very simple questions. Only one person (Orogun01) answered the question about Obsidian taking pointers from Bioware and going down the route that Bioware has done and I can certainly understand Orogun01's concerns for Obsidian not to do Bioware style rpgs. But then it's just easy for some to troll my posts like AGX-17 has done, eh. :thumbsup:

My friend you are very defensive. I said "I thought " you were being dismissive about the rise of homophobia in Uganda. That means I was wrong :)

But no I didn't think you were trolling in this thread which was why I responded. But the reality is people outside of me do  think you troll sometimes which is why they don't always respond in the way you expect. This is the perception that exists for some and answers your questions where you asked "why can't people answer a simple question "

Don't shoot the messenger for giving you a possible explanation to your question

• Like 1

John Milton 

There's a difference between defensive and setting the record straight. I'm setting the record straight. But keep attacking the person and calling me whatever you like. eg. defensive, etc if it makes you feel better.

Wow, I just win with you hey Hiro.

You didn't need to set the record straight as I explained I was wrong and I realized you were serious about the discussion of homophobia in Uganda.

John Milton 

You know... I think the problem with character development in DA 2 is that it's got the big time gaps... so a lot of the development happens offscreen.

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST BE FRIENDS! ;( ;( ;(

I don't particularly dislike anyone but that doesn't mean we don't engage in debates and arguements :)

John Milton 

Anyways, by and large, DA2 characetrs were better than DAO ones.

No.

It'd be easier and more palatable to be friends with the darkspawn for some people I suspect. :p

I would rather The Architect as a companion than most of the DA2 cast.

Bethesda games have constantly massively outsold bioware games. Better to follow their mass market appeal. Besides NV already showed they do it better anyway.

Despite the pro-romance equals more sales crowd likes to claim, romances have not caused bioware games to sell more or nail the mass market.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Excatly. Romance is such a minor part of BIO games. Don't let the loudmouths on the internetz fool you into thinking they post on behalf of the 'masses'.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Despite the pro-romance equals more sales crowd likes to claim, romances have not caused bioware games to sell more or nail the mass market.

Can you provide some links to support that because I don't believe it. Romance is one of main reasons that a large segment of Bioware fans support there games. But I can't say its the only reason because many people would still buy there games if Romance was excluded. I guess you would have to do a poll where you have 4 factors and you ask people to rate them in order of significance around what is the most important consideration when they buy an RPG? Romance would obviously be one of the four

John Milton 

"Romance is one of main reasons that a large segment of Bioware fans support there games."

Define 'large'.

"I guess you would have to do a poll where you have 4 factors and you ask people to rate them in order of significance around what is the most important consideration when they buy an RPG? Romance would obviously be one of the four"

1. Internet  spammers are such a small minority of gamers - RPG or otherwise- that any poll would be meaningless on a large scale.

2. BIO games were selling well before romance  became popular in the games.

3. Romance is such a minor part of BIO games. They take up less than 5% of the game. Heck, they probably take up less than 1%. LMAO So, if you are playing BIO games for the romance than you are basically wasting time when you could be doing other things to get your 'romance' fix.

"

"I guess you would have to do a poll where you have 4 factors and you ask people to rate them in order of significance around what is the most important consideration when they buy an RPG? Romance would obviously be one of the four"

1. Internet  spammers are such a small minority of gamers - RPG or otherwise- that any poll would be meaningless on a large scale.

2. BIO games were selling well before romance  became popular in the games.

3. Romance is such a minor part of BIO games. They take up less than 5% of the game. Heck, they probably take up less than 1%. LMAO So, if you are playing BIO games for the romance than you are basically wasting time when you could be doing other things to get your 'romance' fix.

Fair enough, the reality is no one can say with certainty how important Romance is or isn't around Bioware games  because we just don't have the statistics. I could say there is a vociferous group of Promancers on BSN that do the Romance cause proud but I can't how much they represent in the overall fanbase

But I can say that by not having Romance certain people won't bother playing an RPG and will stick to Bioware games that include Romance

John Milton 

And, RPgs will better off without those losers. I don't mind romances (because they tend to add solid C&C and hot babes) but, again, if that is your #1 reason to play RPGs you have much better choices to get your 'romance' fix. There's soap operas (which I actually watch), harlequin romances (ewww), romantic comedies, etc., etc.

• Like 1

And, RPgs will better off without those losers. I don't mind romances (because they tend to add solid C&C and hot babes) but, again, if that is your #1 reason to play RPGs you have much better choices to get your 'romance' fix. There's soap operas (which I actually watch), harlequin romances (ewww), romantic comedies, etc., etc.

Japanese dating sims is where its at.