Dragon Age: Inquistion

Yes, that was one of my questions. I like playing in tactical view. Do I really have to hold down a button the entire time?

I'm not sure where you get this holding down a button, wasn't it click A button to switch views? Besides, pc will be scroll wheel, as usual. Wonder if any of the new gen consoles support keyboard/mouse like the ps3 did. Would be interesting to have that option if possible... ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Commentary on the tactical camera thiefed from the codex

/snatchgrab

Still sounds better than the DAO console versions, so Imma gonna wait for someone to get to play with the actual pc controls before I jump to the same conclusions...

True Story: I originally played Dragon Age: Origins on an Xbox 360, and only very recently have gone back and played through it on PC.

I like the console controls better. :blink:

Playing on PC from the tactical view, combat is certainly much easier. I can keep track of my party members better, use traps and spells in a real way, and do a little bit of strategic positioning.

But ultimately, I find myself comparing the experience (in my mind) more to Baldur's Gate than I do to Dragon Age on consoles. And it's often an unfavorable comparison. I'm constantly frustrated by my inability to move the camera away from the currently selected character, and my companions insistence on disobeying my orders almost immediately after I switch characters. The critique in my head is "Why is this so limited in comparison to Baldur's Gate?" Whereas, when I play on the Xbox 360, it's true that combat is now "harder" in ways that are unsatisfying, but even so, it's a more fun and ...shall we say, casual experience. Honestly, that's where Bioware feels more comfortable at this point, and I don't think it's a bad direction.

TL;DR - I'm glad Inquisition has a tactical camera, but I'm not getting my expectations too high about it being any more flexible than the one in Origins.

I played on the ps3, so the game had the additional disadvantage of being a slideshow. Playing a warrior, I can't call the game limited in comparison to bg in goid faith.
  • Like 1

Looks nice, but they still didn't show tactical view.

BioWare

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Y-U-NO-guy-

Y U No Show Tactical View?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

BioWare

-image-

Because showing the game in tactical view is not very good for seeing all the "awesome" graphics. That or it's **** and they want to let the player discover that for him self.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yeah, take basically any RPG, the one feature I wish all trailers showed off was the inventory management, because that makes or breaks a game. But nooo, they all opt for showing off combat instead.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yeah, take basically any RPG, the one feature I wish all trailers showed off was the inventory management, because that makes or breaks a game. But nooo, they all opt for showing off combat instead.

They showed how to equip armor, but not enough to determine how much of a hassle it would be to deal with the inventory.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

BioWare

I thought it looked better when it was last posted a couple of days ago! (Last page)
  • Like 2

BioWare

I thought it looked better when it was last posted a couple of days ago! (Last page)

Sounds like Qunari will be playable after all

Nobody commented on it when I posted it

/foreveralone

EDIT: nobody other than Gromnir

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

BioWare

-image-

Because showing the game in tactical view is not very good for seeing all the "awesome" graphics. That or it's **** and they want to let the player discover that for him self.

am not certain what the reasoning is behind the 

BioWare

/foreveralone

am s'posing they do kinda show aspects o' tactical view played on a pc, but using console controls and interface... which don't really count as far as pc gamers is concerned. am recalling that da2 were somewhat similar. when we started getting gameplay video for da2 there were all kinda questions 'bout how da2 would look and play on a pc and biowarians would pretend as if they could not hear such concerns. it were kinda weird. why the biggie secret? why act as if nobody were asking about pc? in fact, it were almost as strange that virtual none o' the "journalists" who covered da2 during development felt compelled to ask 'bout pc-specific gameplay. 

bio released a demo for da2 and that were when we finally were getting answers 'bout pc gameplay... but what were with the three wise monkeys routine? why is same silence so noticeable regarding da:i? seems so... silly.  30 seconds o' pc gameplay showing differences in camera and tactical view compared to console. done. how tough is that?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There are some small snippets of the Tactical Camera/Pause and Play system in various E3 videos. It likely won't look too different on the different platforms, but yes it will be available on all platforms. The only place I might see differences is in how high/low the camera can go on older consoles, although this would be scene specific (i.e. would happen on places that are a perfect storm of potential performance issues) and while paused performance thresholds can be higher so it may not be an issue.

The system involves the usual "give orders" though it doesn't have a queue (wanted it, but opted to focus on getting the base implementation working. Could be expanded on in future games), although your character will move to targets for melee abilities. It differs from DA2 in that you can use an "engage" mode which has the time move forward, but keeps the camera detached from any particular party member. It has pretty decent range, though is tethered to the party (for level streaming reasons).

From the sound of it they're just going with a console interface that should be "good enough" for PC users. What the video showed didn't look very great, from a kb/mouse user's point of view anyway.

I'm hoping the radial menu can be skipped favor of shortcuts at least (then again, they couldn't even be bothered in the latest 2 Mass Effects, so I'm not going to get my hopes up)

Edited by marelooke

all he needs is the love of a good woman to save him, yes? 

p00p. we keep forgetting this is a bioware game.

all he needs is the love of a good woman, man, demihuman, darkspawn, demon, dragon, amphibian, or any o' a host o' other progressively implausible monstrosities and curiosities, to be saving him.

and still no word on pc tactical view... 'cause is a secret. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sometimes I wonder whether someone should point out to BW that they should really stick with a tone throughout the story rather than going from G R R Martin to Josh Whedon. But then we get hilarious cringeworthy characters like these that is like telling the "special" kid that he's just a retard. I just don't have the heart.

• Like 5
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

BioWare

/foreveralone

Yeah I hear you, its almost the same as nobody commenting if only Gromnir comments and it can be depressing :p

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

in the past couple decades, elmore leonard has become increasing popular. well, movies and tv shows made from his books has become popular. is not really that surprising as elmore leonard did the whedon shtick, but better. is not as if elmore leonard were unique either as others has done better than he did it. go back 400 years and we got shakespeare combining serious content with witty and clever dialogues and liberal doses o' humor.  the whedon thing is not new, and is probable the most historic successful approach to entertainments. only newish spin is what leonard added with the overtly sexy characters. 

think 'bout the mostest popular character in george rr martin books. is tyrion. read shakespeare and most of us prefers mercutio and falstaff and even richard 'cause they get the best lines. if malcom reynolds were serious all the time, he would be gary cooper from high noon? ok, bad example. point is that trying to use the "whedon formula" is not a bad idea. 

our problem with recent bioware writing, if we has a problem, is that the biowarians is consciously avoiding "too."  is an exact quote from gaider regarding da:o. he noted that da:o would be "dark, but not too dark." 

wth can that possibly mean, and how can it be good?  bio gave bruce romance, but the romances is 'posed to makes people all warm and fuzzy while remaining incidental and tangential. don't want romances to be too. not too serious. not too funny. not too grim. not too candyland/disney. not too... anything. is not that bioware is unsuccessful combining new battlestar galactica (which were a frequent da:o cited inspiration) and george rr martin and whedon. is fact that bioware is trying to appeal to everybody by avoiding too.

*shrug*

or maybe there is nothing wrong and bioware has successful got their own crpg formula. dunno. we will wait a year before purchasing, but we will purchase eventually.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

Sometimes I wonder whether someone should point out to BW that they should really stick with a tone throughout the story rather than going from G R R Martin to Josh Whedon.

The series as a whole really has undergone a ridiculous tonal shift.

It initially tried to be a cohesive Tolkien/GRRM style fantasy setting and now it's morphed into straight up pulp fantasy schlock.

Eh, the general theme of DA seems to be more in line with Mass Effect 3. You can't win all your battles and even if you do, you usually lose something. Both DA1 and DA2 had elements of this (DA2 more than the first however).

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Since it hasn't been posted, DA:I's emo/boyband party member.

cole-gallery-1.jpg

cole-gallery-3.jpg

"All Cole knows for certain is that the world is full of pain and he must find his place within it."

I just brought up a little bit of vomit in my mouth.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

It initially tried to be a cohesive Tolkien/GRRM style fantasy setting and now it's morphed into straight up pulp fantasy schlock.

Don't want to be a pedant, but 'Pulp' is good. Pulp is Robert E. Howard. Pulp is Fritz Lieber. Bio has created a new flavour of lameness based on schmaltz, adolescent angst and hyper-sexualised fan-service. Whatever it is, it isn't pulp.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd be perfectly content with pulp fantasy. More Moor**** and Howard, less Tolkien. Alas, DA doesn't even do that. A man can dream, though.

Edit: ninja'd by Monte.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Since it hasn't been posted, DA:I's emo/boyband party member.

cole-gallery-1.jpg

cole-gallery-3.jpg

"All Cole knows for certain is that the world is full of pain and he must find his place within it."

He looks kind of sickly. darkspawn taint?

So three rogue types: Varric, Sera and this guy

Three warrior types: The Grey Warden guy, Cassandra and Iron Bull

Three mage types: Vivienne, Solas and ???

Edited by Azure79