Dragon Age: Inquistion

(video)

Sounds like Qunari will be playable after all

am certain we saw that video previous and much better quality. am thinking most o' that were included in a wide distributed interview, so it ain't really leaked per se... give us a sec.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66207-dragon-age-inquistion/page-12

is some other such. got to see the horned female player.

still, we wish we could see gameplay on a pc with tactical view. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

still, we wish we could see gameplay on a pc with tactical view. 

HA! Good Fun!

I doubt they'll actually show the mouse and keyboard interface until much closer to release, if at all (that's how they did it with Dragon Age II if I recall correctly) and I doubt it'll have a different tactical view from the gamepad interface, but Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann said that the build that was shown at E3 was actually on PC.

Yeah, I've never really understood why everyone hates DLC so much.  If you don't think the extra content is worth the money....don't buy it! And if you think the game is somehow incomplete without it (which is almost never true) then don't buy the game!  The reason publishers moved towards DLC is because game costs are rising and they can't just increase prices on games without cutting into sales.  So DLC provides a way for them to get more money from the "uber-fans" who don't mind paying an extra $10-15 for a slightly-larger game. Yes, this means that the price-per-gameplay-hour of DLC is usually much higher than that of the main game, but again, if that bothers you, don't buy it.  Or wait two years and buy the inevitable "ULTIMATE GOTY FINAL EDITION" for $25.

I see these DLCs, GOTY-versions and whatnot as unnecessary complexity, derived from business intelligence groups trying to find monetizing opportunities in everything that they can. All those growing business departments have to make themselves important in some way, i guess. Gotta fill in those work hours as billable in anyway they can.

God forbid creating one complete product and selling it at one price. But that would render the whole business department as useless, and we can't have all those people with nice degrees go unemployed now, can we?

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Disclaimer: watched the video without sound (so if something useful was said I missed it)

Combat doesn't look very impressive to me (more of the same DA2 crap). I do dig how the dragon appeared to fly off instead of fighting to the death, finally a dragon with an IQ that doesn't place it in the "special needs" category.

Disclaimer: watched the video without sound (so if something useful was said I missed it)

Combat doesn't look very impressive to me (more of the same DA2 crap). I do dig how the dragon appeared to fly off instead of fighting to the death, finally a dragon with an IQ that doesn't place it in the "special needs" category.

Pretty much get one of his wings then focus on whatever part you think is best.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Commentary on the tactical camera thiefed from the codex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G9hjwVxdWHs#t=1830

/snatchgrab

Still sounds better than the DAO console versions, so Imma gonna wait for someone to get to play with the actual pc controls before I jump to the same conclusions...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah, I've never really understood why everyone hates DLC so much.  If you don't think the extra content is worth the money....don't buy it! And if you think the game is somehow incomplete without it (which is almost never true) then don't buy the game!  The reason publishers moved towards DLC is because game costs are rising and they can't just increase prices on games without cutting into sales.  So DLC provides a way for them to get more money from the "uber-fans" who don't mind paying an extra $10-15 for a slightly-larger game. Yes, this means that the price-per-gameplay-hour of DLC is usually much higher than that of the main game, but again, if that bothers you, don't buy it.  Or wait two years and buy the inevitable "ULTIMATE GOTY FINAL EDITION" for $25.

It's why I usually wait 2 years to buy the Ultimate Edition with everything included at a heavily discounted price. If it doesn't have everything, I don't buy it. I'm obviously not the target audience and corporations don't care about one lost sale (having worked for multi-nationals in the past). And it's probably why I haven't bought a BioWare games since DA:O, only because they billed it as a spiritual successor to the BG series. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Prior to DA:O was NWN.

I think FO:NV Ultimate Edition was the last game I bought which had everything. I guess as you get older you realise you don't need to have the game on Day 1 as your priorities often change. Maybe not for everyone, but it has for me.

• Like 2

It's why I usually wait 2 years to buy the Ultimate Edition with everything included at a heavily discounted price. If it doesn't have everything, I don't buy it. I'm obviously not the target audience and corporations don't care about one lost sale (having worked for multi-nationals in the past). And it's probably why I haven't bought a BioWare games since DA:O, only because they billed it as a spiritual successor to the BG series. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Prior to DA:O was NWN.

I think FO:NV Ultimate Edition was the last game I bought which had everything. I guess as you get older you realise you don't need to have the game on Day 1 as your priorities often change. Maybe not for everyone, but it has for me.

Hiro it upsets me when you dismiss your personal importance to multi-billion dollar corporations. You matter Hiro...you matter. You just need to believe !!!! :wowey:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

As I get older, I'm happier over dlc that extend the pleasure of my first playthrough over a longer period of time. So ymmv.
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Commentary on the tactical camera thiefed from the codex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G9hjwVxdWHs#t=1830

/snatchgrab

Still sounds better than the DAO console versions, so Imma gonna wait for someone to get to play with the actual pc controls before I jump to the same conclusions...

True Story: I originally played Dragon Age: Origins on an Xbox 360, and only very recently have gone back and played through it on PC. 

I like the console controls better.  :blink:

Playing on PC from the tactical view, combat is certainly much easier.  I can keep track of my party members better, use traps and spells in a real way, and do a little bit of strategic positioning.

But ultimately, I find myself comparing the experience (in my mind) more to Baldur's Gate than I do to Dragon Age on consoles.  And it's often an unfavorable comparison. I'm constantly frustrated by my inability to move the camera away from the currently selected character, and my companions insistence on disobeying my orders almost immediately after I switch characters.  The critique in my head is "Why is this so limited in comparison to Baldur's Gate?"  Whereas, when I play on the Xbox 360, it's true that combat is now "harder" in ways that are unsatisfying, but even so, it's a more fun and ...shall we say, casual experience. Honestly, that's where Bioware feels more comfortable at this point, and I don't think it's a bad direction. 

TL;DR - I'm glad Inquisition has a tactical camera, but I'm not getting my expectations too high about it being any more flexible than the one in Origins.

• Like 1

Me too, on all counts. I had more fun playing Origins on a dumpy Xbox than with my TressFX-capable PC. 

Gromnir tried to play da:o on the xbox after playing on the pc. 

for us, play da:o on console were a bit like playing operation while wearing mittens. am certain we could manage either such feat, after a fashion. however, am unclear as to why anyone woulda wanna try either activity. perhaps to win a bet?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Dragon Age Inquisition is definitely looking very nice though looking nice is not really starking innovative game-seller on the accounts of modern graphics alone. I doubt it's gonna be as big Origins as they claim due in no small part to that engine they are working on. All of those pixels are gonna take up space -- I like to think that when you had a game like Origins, where the characters looked very cartoonish, you've got more space for tons of content that isn't undermined by the game's graphics engine.

Part of the issue with the old Eclipse engine is that there was no real concept of level streaming (some aspects could be prefetched and streamed in as whatnot), meaning that for the most part every entity in the level needed to be loaded into memory and that places a pretty large burden (especially on the older consoles) in terms of load times and so forth.

I can't speak much to the overall length of the game (I'd expect that Mike's estimate includes some degree of additional buffer for exploring, given that aspects of exploration feed into the critical path - and that it's also a best guess "average" among the entire gamer base rather than an absolute hardline minimum amount of time required).

I can say that the amount of traversable space is higher than DAO because of the Frostbite engine.  Granted, many (most?) people will probably be taking a "straight line" approach and won't traverse every single square foot, but the levels are pretty big.

Mounts aren't going to be a particularly huge part of the game.  They can be a rabbit hole (they've been explored for virtually all of the games) and exist more for a degree of fantasy fulfillment and a way to quickly travel.  Don't expect things like mounted combat and stuff like that.

EHhh, if it's on the xbone, it's going to be on the PC, but obviously the more limited input options of the xbone are going to limit the way it looks in the demo.

There are some small snippets of the Tactical Camera/Pause and Play system in various E3 videos.  It likely won't look too different on the different platforms, but yes it will be available on all platforms.  The only place I might see differences is in how high/low the camera can go on older consoles, although this would be scene specific (i.e. would happen on places that are a perfect storm of potential performance issues) and while paused performance thresholds can be higher so it may not be an issue.

The system involves the usual "give orders" though it doesn't have a queue (wanted it, but opted to focus on getting the base implementation working.  Could be expanded on in future games), although your character will move to targets for melee abilities.  It differs from DA2 in that you can use an "engage" mode which has the time move forward, but keeps the camera detached from any particular party member.  It has pretty decent range, though is tethered to the party (for level streaming reasons).

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 3

Dragon Age Inquisition is definitely looking very nice though looking nice is not really starking innovative game-seller on the accounts of modern graphics alone. I doubt it's gonna be as big Origins as they claim due in no small part to that engine they are working on. All of those pixels are gonna take up space -- I like to think that when you had a game like Origins, where the characters looked very cartoonish, you've got more space for tons of content that isn't undermined by the game's graphics engine.

Part of the issue with the old Eclipse engine is that there was no real concept of level streaming (some aspects could be prefetched and streamed in as whatnot), meaning that for the most part every entity in the level needed to be loaded into memory and that places a pretty large burden (especially on the older consoles) in terms of load times and so forth.

I can't speak much to the overall length of the game (I'd expect that Mike's estimate includes some degree of additional buffer for exploring, given that aspects of exploration feed into the critical path - and that it's also a best guess "average" among the entire gamer base rather than an absolute hardline minimum amount of time required).

I can say that the amount of traversable space is higher than DAO because of the Frostbite engine.  Granted, many (most?) people will probably be taking a "straight line" approach and won't traverse every single square foot, but the levels are pretty big.

Mounts aren't going to be a particularly huge part of the game.  They can be a rabbit hole (they've been explored for virtually all of the games) and exist more for a degree of fantasy fulfillment and a way to quickly travel.  Don't expect things like mounted combat and stuff like that.

EHhh, if it's on the xbone, it's going to be on the PC, but obviously the more limited input options of the xbone are going to limit the way it looks in the demo.

There are some small snippets of the Tactical Camera/Pause and Play system in various E3 videos.  It likely won't look too different on the different platforms, but yes it will be available on all platforms.  The only place I might see differences is in how high/low the camera can go on older consoles, although this would be scene specific (i.e. would happen on places that are a perfect storm of potential performance issues) and while paused performance thresholds can be higher so it may not be an issue.

The system involves the usual "give orders" though it doesn't have a queue (wanted it, but opted to focus on getting the base implementation working.  Could be expanded on in future games), although your character will move to targets for melee abilities.  It differs from DA2 in that you can use an "engage" mode which has the time move forward, but keeps the camera detached from any particular party member.  It has pretty decent range, though is tethered to the party (for level streaming reasons).

Hi Alan "waves" 

Nice to have you posting again :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm curious as to whether your retinue will ride on their own mounts or the AI followers have to follow the party leader by hoofing it on foot with rubber-banding AI, Bethesda-style.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Can I play the entire game in the tactical camera without holding down a button?

Is Gimp Suit Horse a confirmed mount?

Can Mages gish it up?

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands