Dragon Age: Inquistion

Dragon Age: World of Warcraft has turned into Dragon Age: Skyrim in the last 8 years apparently.

NIce business plan EA.  

This is new.  Looks like Skyrim with pause based combat happening, but it seems that companions following your around has been dumped for a party that turns up for combat and conversations? 

Edited by Urthor

Looks nothing like Skyrim. It looks like a DA game.

What i mean is they've recognised the importance of moving away from the DA:O formula.  There's now mounts, jumping and vertical areas, exploration (hell there's even Dragon's as random bosses and they've invested a lot into that mechanic from the looks of things, tell me there isn't a Skyrim influence there). 

It looks like they've basically just made very new RPG with most of the Mechanics not being aligned that closely with previous Dragon Age and taking a lot from Skyrim/Assasins creed, altho not necessarily a complete clone you're right.  

Horses and Mounts and that kind of exploration in a Bioware game is really new.  Moving from camp to camp, setting up viewpoints and having collectibles like he said, that's very much not Bioware's gig, Bioware's gig mechanically has been very much RPGs in corridors.  

You're right tho, the art style isn't very Skyrim, tons and tons of bloom and colour.

Edited by Urthor

Though this was informed from the last time Bioware had an in-depth demo of Inquisition, I was massively disappointed when they took the Mass Effect direction of making magic powers only affect enemies once a "shield" layer was stripped from them. Sure magic may have been a game-breaker in previous iterations, but it strikes me as an incredibly lazy way of re-balancing it.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

so, no tactical view for da:i, or are they inexplicably keeping it hidden in all these gameplay videos and trailers?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Looks nothing like Skyrim. It looks like a DA game.

What i mean is they've recognised the importance of moving away from the DA:O formula.  There's now mounts, jumping and vertical areas, exploration (hell there's even Dragon's as random bosses and they've invested a lot into that mechanic from the looks of things, tell me there isn't a Skyrim influence there). 

It looks like they've basically just made very new RPG with most of the Mechanics not being aligned that closely with previous Dragon Age and taking a lot from Skyrim/Assasins creed, altho not necessarily a complete clone you're right.  

Horses and Mounts and that kind of exploration in a Bioware game is really new.  Moving from camp to camp, setting up viewpoints and having collectibles like he said, that's very much not Bioware's gig, Bioware's gig mechanically has been very much RPGs in corridors.  

You're right tho, the art style isn't very Skyrim, tons and tons of bloom and colour.

Open world is not Skyrim or Assassin Creed thing, and  in the video they say that they started concepts for open world years before Skyrim first information of Skyrim was even published.

And Dragons were "random" bosses in DAO also.

And inclusion of mounts I would put for WoW and other mmorpgs that have made them quite popular, plus of course new engine that gives them opportunity to add them, as previous engines that they have used were so clumsy that they couldn't do such thing even if they wanted. 

• Like 1

so, no tactical view for da:i, or are they inexplicably keeping it hidden in all these gameplay videos and trailers?

HA! Good Fun!

They say that there is tactical view, but they also say that UI is optimized to work in every platform using its controllers strengths and they have only showed console version of the game, where tactical view seems to be pause where you can queue your movements and other actions and you see somewhat messy indicators where your characters are going. Hopefully PC UI is much better. 

"There's now mounts"

Not Skyrim.

", jumping"

Not Skyrim

"and vertical areas"

Not Skyrim.

", exploration"

Not Skyrim.

"(hell there's even Dragon's as random bosses"

Not Skyrim.

"and they've invested a lot into that mechanic from the looks of things, tell me there isn't a Skyrim influence there). "

Not Skyrim.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Game Informer press people who saw the demo thought it reminded them of Skyrim. Must be valid.

Ben: I love it. The demo reminded me of Skyrim, but in some strange ways it seemed more lifelike. The world seems denser. I liked the part where the party was wondering through the forest and they got attacked by a bear. A moment later they were fighting bandits and then getting a side quest from an old beggar woman. I also love how the environment reacted to the battles. You could see the trees sway when a dragon passed overhead and a wooden dock started to fall apart after it had been set on fire.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Game Informer press people who saw the demo thought it reminded them of Skyrim. Must be valid.

Ben: I love it. The demo reminded me of Skyrim, but in some strange ways it seemed more lifelike. The world seems denser. I liked the part where the party was wondering through the forest and they got attacked by a bear. A moment later they were fighting bandits and then getting a side quest from an old beggar woman. I also love how the environment reacted to the battles. You could see the trees sway when a dragon passed overhead and a wooden dock started to fall apart after it had been set on fire.

I must be missing something but what is the issue again if DA:I reminds people of Skyrim?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Skyrim isn't in fashion anymore so if DA:I is anything like it then it must be a steaming pile of horse manure that has travelled through the sewers of Paris while wrapped in a pair of sweaty socks that were pulled from Satan's anus. 

• Like 2

"Adventuring in Dragon Age: Origins rewarded story with more story."

In this game: "Adventuring is the currency of power". :x

In DA:O, I found that the worst culprits were too dragged out quest lines filled with repetitive scenery and nothing to do except for repetitive combat versus equally repetitive foes. Another revolting thing was...

In DA:I, I predict that any side quests and free-roaming will be one long foraging run for ingredients and other Lego pieces. That makes it a bit like Skyrim, actually. Overall, the similarities are clearly there (and like BruceVC said, I have no problems with that, on the contrary). It's pretty obvious that Bioware has decided to chest slam Bethesda on this, once and for all, just to see if they've got what it takes. *Cough* :dragon:

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Skyrim isn't in fashion anymore so if DA:I is anything like it then it must be a steaming pile of horse manure that has travelled through the sewers of Paris while wrapped in a pair of sweaty socks that were pulled from Satan's anus. 

Hang on! Are we the kind of people that vie for games on the basis of whether they are in fashion or not? I have the definitive feeling that the answer is "no".

"Hey! This game is in now."

"Yay! It's so rad!"

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I must be missing something but what is the issue again if DA:I reminds people of Skyrim?

It's one more piece of evidence for their quest to prove that Bioware is CREATIVELY BANKRUPT!!!111one

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Hang on! Are we the kind of people that vie for games on the basis of whether they are in fashion or not? I have the definitive feeling that the answer is "no".

"Yay! It's so rad!"

No, you're the "it's so last season!" people. ;)

• Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

They say that there is tactical view, but they also say that UI is optimized to work in every platform using its controllers strengths and they have only showed console version of the game, where tactical view seems to be pause where you can queue your movements and other actions and you see somewhat messy indicators where your characters are going. Hopefully PC UI is much better. 

kinda reminds us o' the da2 gameplay teasers in that we pretty much had to guess what pc gameplay might entail. am not understanding why bio/ea can't seem to throw us pc folks a bone and give us 30 seconds o' pc gameplay. is some pretty trivial stuff being addressed in these teasers. is the pc release that marginal?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is not all the **** you can do in the game will take 50 hours, this is the core strory in the game taking 50 hours. That is a big difference, and if that is artificialy streached out, then the game is simply ****.

Yeah, let's look back to Dragon Age Origins and the Circle tower... not stretched out at all!

• Like 2

"Yay! It's so rad!"

:teehee:

Yeah and considering this website is mostly  frequented by people who are excited about the reality of an old school, isometric RPG based on games from 10-12 years ago I am surprised how anyone can have an issue with any modern game that has similarities with a game like Skyrim that was released 3 years ago

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't even really know what you're trying to get at here.

Yes, similar concepts are going to be similar.

• Like 1

I was making the point that I meant it mechanically is like Skyrim because I said "oh it looks like Skyrim" as my first reaction to it, I meant that it plays like Skyrim not that the art is like Skyrim's.  

And ye it's significantly different to how DA:O and DA2 was is my point.  

HA! Good Fun!

Safest bet imho is to assume that whatever they haven't shown simply doesn't exist. They promised a tactical overhead view for DA2 as well, remember?

Edited by marelooke

Dragon Age Inquisition is definitely looking very nice though looking nice is not really starking innovative game-seller on the accounts of modern graphics alone. I doubt it's gonna be as big Origins as they claim due in no small part to that engine they are working on. All of those pixels are gonna take up space -- I like to think that when you had a game like Origins, where the characters looked very cartoonish, you've got more space for tons of content that isn't undermined by the game's graphics engine.

I was making the point that I meant it mechanically is like Skyrim because I said "oh it looks like Skyrim" as my first reaction to it, I meant that it plays like Skyrim not that the art is like Skyrim's.  

And ye it's significantly different to how DA:O and DA2 was is my point.  

I don't get it - How does this game look like Skyrim? Beyond the obvious shared concepts of Tolkien-esque fantasy? The gameplay looks like a lesser fast-paced version of DA2 mixed up with Dragon's Dogma. The open-areas don't look as non-restrictive as Skyrim either, so I don't really see it.

Edited by TrueNeutral
double post

Apparently IGN did see tactical combat, also companion scripts are back in from DA:O.

http://au.ign.com/videos/2014/06/11/dragon-age-inquisition-hands-on-impressions-e3-2014

So that's probably a no to bioware lying and not implementing tactical combat. Whether or not it's good, is another question.

I think you can already see small chunks of it in one of the demos, probably IGN's in fact. Very little, but it looks like it's running on a xbone.