The Funny Things Thread.

Rosbjerg

I don't get how making children cry equals funny.  Oh look, the kids are miserable and crying, ha ha.  To me that's mean, not funny.  Maybe I'm weird like that.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't get how making children cry equals funny.  Oh look, the kids are miserable and crying, ha ha.  To me that's mean, not funny.  Maybe I'm weird like that.

What a bunch of little brats, I wouldn't have given them the candy at all (excluding the few awesome examples).

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

It's probably more funny if you are a parent.  Teasing your kids is a huge help in not going crazy, it's a tough job.  For the most part, they deserve it.  :p

I think I'd feel worse if my kid was all ok about it.  I get in trouble on a regular basis for eating my kids candy though.  My wife and daughter have some pretty elaborate hiding spots.  :)

• Like 2

Personally, while I do think some pranks can be clever and funny, I find the general ratio of just plain stupid and mean pranks to clever and funny pranks is about 4:1.  The tell your kids you ate their candy "prank" is neither clever nor funny.  Hey, let's lie to our kids and make them miserable, it will be hiiiiiiigh-larious.  No, it's just mean.  Also, while children will, unfortunately, learn to lie and be cruel eventually, one way or another, it may not be the best idea in the world that they learn to lie and be cruel from their parents.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

While I won't lie and say i didn't laugh at the candy video; it's is cruel, mean, and evil. The parents do it because it makes the parents feel good about themselves and don't care if they hurt their children's feelings.  Evil humour can be funny but it is still evil.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Most kids are smart enough to delineate between playful teasing and cruelty.  Although everybody is different, I have students I know I can banter back and forth with and those I wouldn't dare.  That one boy who started hitting and then chucked the water bottle at the parent would be in huge trouble, for example.  It's an inappropriate reaction to the situation.

It's also about establishing perspective.  I don't want my children taking their hoard of candy too seriously.  They are going to look back on their reaction and see that it was silly, that candy is not something you should become overly attached to.

And again, it's about letting off some steam.  My children torture me on a daily basis.  They are wonderful and amazing, but they are also a huge pain in the rear.  If I took this job seriously all the time, I would not survive it.

This morning I asked my son if he wanted juice or chocolate milk, and he said juice.  I went and made it.  He took one sip, then handed it back to me and said he wanted a chocolate milk instead.  I was exasperated, and he just shrugged and smiled.  I go through things like that about a dozen times a day.  It adds up.   :aiee:    

• Like 2

Heh, a friend of mine has a teenage daughter who is into cosplay and attends fantasy / sci-fi conventions in costume. Knowing this, I threw them a link to a unique corset shop when it had a sale and both mother and daughter went squee over the corsets and picked up a couple. The daughter happened to pick one that was a certain white and black colouring and in a pattern that just... let's just say screamed "French maid" but she didn't realise it.

When it arrived and she put it on she was ecstatic. Then I did the "does she realise she looks like a French maid now?" to her mother. When it got pointed out, daughter kind of has that furious "NO!! I don't!" response. Now whenever she's being a bit flighty, her mother just looks at her and goes "Ooo-La-lah!" and the daughter melts down into a pile of furious, teased embarrassment. Apparently it's become a very effective way of dealing with a stressing out teenager.   :shifty:

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"And again, it's about letting off some steam.  My children torture me on a daily basis."

Torture? Check your first world privledge if you think you are being tortured. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's eighteen years of small, annoying, things Volourn - I'd quite frankly take waterboarding or a bloody eagle over that, any day.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

"And again, it's about letting off some steam.  My children torture me on a daily basis."

Torture? Check your first world privledge if you think you are being tortured. L0L

0.gif

aaaanyway..

I see no way in which this could possibly go wrong!

ZVIDBY8.gif

• Like 6

Fortune favors the bald.

P5YN8Ev.jpg

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling