You "forgot" to use the force? oh, come on....

After reading the articles about KotOR2, one notices that you seemed to forgot to use the force? Are we having another Kyle Katarn on us? Wouldn't it be more simple if you just refused to use the force and later when you're trying to use it again, you'll notice that someone is preventing you from using it?

That would make a good first mission, to find the person who's restraining you from using your force powers IMHO.

Opinions?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Considering the Jedi Council made Revan, the dark lord of the Sith, forget about everything I do not think it is that ludicrous that they simply erased another exiles memories of how to use the force.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

Maybe it means you forgot to use the force to save that expensive china you just purchased...you know...to give yourself some class and culture, instead of forgetting 'how' to use the force. :p

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"forgetting" the force sounds almost as lame as the mind-wipe in KOTOR1.

if they said that your PC's ability to use the force is diminished (as per episode 2), that might make more sense, but that still wouldn't explain why you (presumably) start off with 0XP.

what i don't understand is why KOTOR2 just doesn't start you off as a proper newb, instead of these bloody stupid conceits.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Considering the Jedi Council made Revan, the dark lord of the Sith, forget about everything I do not think it is that ludicrous that they simply erased another exiles memories of how to use the force.

TripleRRR

To do a Revan x 2 isn't Obsidians goal i hope :p

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

what i don't understand is why KOTOR2 just doesn't start you off as a proper newb, instead of these bloody stupid conceits.

There must be a reason for that. I'd prefer a newb, that would explain the lack of powers and lightsaber, but in Kotor2 you are a 'veteran'. I'm sure they're setting us up for something, we just don't know what yet. Another twist would be ludicrous.

Perhaps it requires constant training and meditation to keep your mind "sharp" ?

Try playing some sport like tennis for 15 years, take a 5 year break and then start again. You might be surprised how much practise you need to get up to your old performance again :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hopefully they'll lose this "forgetting" nonsense and instead have it that the Jedi council used a mind block or something (i.e. conditioned your character to NOT use it... kinda like a Gaes <<best term I could think of)

But forgetting? phht... been there, done that and the character makes a cameo in KotOR2 :p

i was thinking along the lines of gorth. not that you've forgotten how to use it, but that years of not using it have made it next to impossible.

and kefka, how would another twist be ludicrous? eery half decent game storyline has at least one twist in it. but if you mean a reven-esque 'i was satan himself' twist then, agreed that would suck

Mind blocking is as dumb as mind wipe, the Jedi Order only take the lightsaber away in the far more restritive prequels Jedi Order.

Starting with forcei powers is not exactly a problem.

So you start with force powers? from where did you get that?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I was under the impression that you start with Force powers, but that they're weakened because you haven't been using them. That makes perfect sense....so long as they have a good justification as to why you haven't been using your powers.

And I highly, highly doubt they'll try to pull the ol' identity switcharoo again. Everyone will be expecting it this time; what would be the point, except to make everyone roll their eyes when the 'twist' is revealed?

So you start with force powers? from where did you get that?

Since you're the last known Jedi, it only makes sense you have SOME force powers.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

and kefka, how would another twist be ludicrous? eery half decent game storyline has at least one twist in it. but if you mean a reven-esque 'i was satan himself' twist then, agreed that would suck

Yeah, I meant a revan-esque twist. There should be no 'revelations' for the PC. A storyline twist is fine.

Am I the only one who read the CGW article and thought "PS:T"? not that they are going to be the same game, but that there are similarities.

I didn't.

But if such is the case, good on them. The more KOTORII looks to PS:T for inspiration, the happier I'll be.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Ofensive?

Lets see, the force is not something that can be "turn off", anyone that can use the force is able to do so.

At lv1 a force user class can use a little of the Force, their skill is not enough to go around pushing Star Destoyers and so are very limited, expecialy since their "force-o-meter" (Vitality in Star Wars d20 and the blue bar in SWKotOR) is really not capable of pulling that kind of stunts.

I remenber when fighting Juhami that my character could pull off about 2 force powers and that it.

The ability to use Force powers is not a issue.

Now the "mind wipe" was done because of the Revan twist, it was not really needed without it (we could been a jedi assigned to Bastila party and have it evolve from that, the story could have done in many ways) and the idea that the Jedi Order go around blocking the ability for people to use the force is a silly, if they had that ability there would be no Sith, the ability to use the force os something that cannot be explained, in fact every living being is capable of doing so (even the Vorg) but only if force sensative and that is a feat and you can never lose a feat in the d20 system.

The idea of mind blocking is really not very good and its as dumb as "mind wipe" (with, BTW, was not what happened in SWKotOR, Revan mind was shattered by the damage and the Jedi Council simply implanted memories to give Revan a new life, if the Jedi Order did a "Mind Wipe" it would been a DARK SIDE action since they were destroying, do not get fooled by the Destroy Droid being a LS power since things like that in Star Wars d20 are very much dark side) since it puts some restriction that is neither supported by the game universe or mechanics.

Also lets not get Jedi Knight series mechanics in here ... apples to oranges ...

drakron.png

Hell, I never use the force in Kotor, since I wear armor and buff up, power attack kills most foes in two hits.

Make that two stupid forward somersaults.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

Ofensive?

Lets see, the force is not something that can be "turn off", anyone that can use the force is able to do so.

Nomi Sunrider managed, somehow, to cut Ulic Qel-droma from the Force.

Additionally, there's a sessile lizard-like animal called the ysalamiri, found on Myrkr, that can create bubbles wherein the Force "doesn't exist" -- any Force adept within a certain radius of a ysalamiri cannot tap into the Force.

"Veteran" of the Mandalorian wars could mean that he served aboard a ship. my guess:

You were a Padawan on Dantooine just before the Mandalorian wars began. Lured by Revan's charisma and a youthful urge to fight for truth, justice, etc. etc., you left your training mid-step to go with him to battle.

You fight, you win. But something about the war disillusions you, or maybe scares you, and you become unsure whether you're really Jedi material.

You take off, in "self" exile, to rethink things. Along the way you fall out of touch with your training. You can still use the Force, but the disciplines taught to you at the Academy quickly leave you as you're out of practice.

I don't think we're going to see Kyle Katarn 2 here. We're essentially going to begin with (in d20 terms) a Level 1 Force Adept (regardless of what beginning cllass you choose) who has to re-establish him/herself and their destiny.

It *can* work...I just hope Obsidian does it right...

It's probably something like a crazed ex-elf wizard has a force sucking machine, and steals your force...

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

It doesn't seem to be the best way to go, but it doesn't really seem worth complaining about. So the character retires and wants the simple life farming potatoes and abandons all aspects of being a jedi letting the force go...

I'm having a harder time with things like the returning characters and the choice of timeline. Poo I say.

It's probably something like a crazed ex-elf wizard has a force sucking machine, and steals your force...

will this mean we wake up in a prison without any of our items too?

dumber than a bag of hammers

• 5 weeks later...
After reading the articles about KotOR2, one notices that you seemed to forgot to use the force? Are we having another Kyle Katarn on us? Wouldn't it be more simple if you just refused to use the force and later when you're trying to use it again, you'll notice that someone is preventing you from using it?

That would make a good first mission, to find the person who's restraining you from using your force powers IMHO.

Opinions?

Where exactly did they even say "forgot" how to use the Force? The only thing I've heard was "out of touch" with the Force, and that wasn't even in an official statement.

Perhaps we should wait and see what they mean when KOTOR2 is out. ;)

There was no deliberate mind-wipe by the Council. Revans mind was damaged when his ship was blasted by Malak.

As for KotOR2, i guess it's similar to Nomi Sunrider removing Ulic Qel-Droma's connection with the Force in the Tales of the Jedi-comics.

Chris Avellone posted in one of the threads here that the PC in KotOR2 has all his/her memories intact so i don't think we'll see any big revelations about his/her past.