Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #78: The Leaders of the Band: Chanters and Priests

Pillars of Eternity Priest Chanter Spells Aumaua Kana Cadegund

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

xsikal

xsikal

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Slightly off-topic, but has it been confirmed whether or not we will be able to use custom portraits for ourselves and NPCs?

Also, from the description, it sounds like the boost/penalty for a priest/paladin who adheres to/strays from their deity applies only to the PC? I guess I can understand that, depending on how much autonomy the NPC is given, but it's a little odd.

Otherwise, sounds good. The chanter is very reminiscent of an everquest bard (with chant effects lasting a short time after a new chant has begun, allowing twisting). Hopefully, it won't be quite as intensive as that game's implementation (every four seconds, switch song), as that would be very difficult in a party-based game.

Also, any spell that starts with Achtung really should end with Baby!

Edited by xsikal, 14 May 2014 - 11:26 AM.

• rdmcnz likes this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Update by Josh Sawyer, Project Director

• Kind Wayfarers - Knights-errant who assist troubled travelers and celebrate love, condemning deception and malice even when dealing with their enemies. The Kind Wayfarers are a diverse group of people and can be found all over the known world.

One now knows whom the main enemy of the game is, death to the Kind Wayfarer's!

Their trademark move: Hug of Deathly Love

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like the aumaua chanter portrait. Is that an island or coastal aumaua, are they male or female, and are they one of the companions?

So far we seem to have:

Aloth - male wood elf wizard

Cadegund - female meadow human priest

Edér - male meadow human rogue

Forton - male savannah human monk

Pallegina - female godlike ocean human paladin

Sagani - female boreal dwarf ranger

? - male hearth orlan cipher

Kana Rua - ? ? aumaua chanter

Not so fast, mister!

These characters have been introduced during the Kickstarter Campaign:

• Edair – will be in the final game, but the name changed to Edér and the appearance also changed.
  • Aloth – an elven wizard
  • Cadegund – a human priest
  • Forton – a Savannah human monk
  • Sagani – a boreal dwarven ranger

All of these character ideas were generated by Josh Sawyer without input from anyone else. While some of them will be appearing as companions more-or-less as they described them, some may appear in a different guise, some may appear as non-companion NPCs, and some may not appear at all.

Source: http://pillarsofeter...a.com/Companion

• Bryy likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Slightly off-topic, but has it been confirmed whether or not we will be able to use custom portraits for ourselves and NPCs?

This reply from Sawyer is a little old so Im not sure if its still valid:

Any word from the devs on whether custom portraits can be used and if so, what are the dimensions?

We want to support custom portraits and make it very easy for players to drop in whatever they want. We're still playing around with portrait sizes but right now they're around 660x850 on the character/inventory screen and get downsampled for use on other parts of the GUI.

• Bryy, xsikal and karelia like this

Mannock

Mannock

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 549 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like the aumaua chanter portrait. Is that an island or coastal aumaua, are they male or female, and are they one of the companions?

So far we seem to have:

Aloth - male wood elf wizard

Cadegund - female meadow human priest

Edér - male meadow human rogue

Forton - male savannah human monk

Pallegina - female godlike ocean human paladin

Sagani - female boreal dwarf ranger

? - male hearth orlan cipher

Kana Rua - ? ? aumaua chanter

Not so fast, mister!

These characters have been introduced during the Kickstarter Campaign:

• Edair – will be in the final game, but the name changed to Edér and the appearance also changed.
  • Aloth – an elven wizard
  • Cadegund – a human priest
  • Forton – a Savannah human monk
  • Sagani – a boreal dwarven ranger

All of these character ideas were generated by Josh Sawyer without input from anyone else. While some of them will be appearing as companions more-or-less as they described them, some may appear in a different guise, some may appear as non-companion NPCs, and some may not appear at all.

Source: http://pillarsofeter...a.com/Companion

The only "truly" confirmed companions are Edér, Pallegina and an unnamed orlan cipher.

Though it is likely some of the characters on your list will make it into the game as joinable companions.

• Bryy likes this

SeekDWay

SeekDWay

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mr. Sawyer, as someone who really enjoyed playing melee or combat bards in older DnD editions, I would like to ask if we will be able to build Chanters as passable melee combatants ?

This is the big factor for my main character. Bard or Ranger that is. Jack's of all trades is what floats my boat. :)

Edited by SeekDWay, 14 May 2014 - 11:30 AM.

• Enoch and rdmcnz like this

Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Soldier of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This business with names, Finnish and Josh Sawyer brings me fond memories of Icewind Dale 2 and particularly "the wandering village". Many of villagers had Finnish names such as Jari, Venla, Kyösti etc. and other names sounded Finnish (Suoma, Kurtta etc.) even though they were not actually names used in Finland, well perhaps among the Sami people. I was like what the hell is happening here? Good times!  :lol:

• PrimeJunta and IndiraLightfoot like this

Jarrakul

Jarrakul

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh god chanters sound so cool. They are everything I want a bard to be. :D

• Bryy and rdmcnz like this

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3973 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Didn't even think to comment on how happy I am about spells/abilities being shown.

I wonder, how will improved stats from buss be shown.

Let's say I have 18 agility. Will a +3 buff show as 21 or as 21 (+3)?

How will buffs stacking work? Will there be a limit on how much a stat can be buffed like in the IE games?

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7548 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

Is Holy Radiance a passive or active ability? I can imagine 6 priests carbonizing and frightening undeads while simultaneously healing each other. Not fair.  :biggrin: Unless it doesn't stack, of course.

In fairness, a group of 6 priests should, by all means, be the bane of the undead.

I'm definitely leaning toward priest as my first character.  Nothing really surprising, they're pretty much how I envisioned them, which is fine.

• karelia likes this

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That is a wonderfully original take on the Bard class, and I may roll Chanter now.

• AndreaColombo and rdmcnz like this

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm definitely naming my first character "Dog's Butt".

Koiranperse. That has a ring to it. Or in two words, Koiran Perse. Sounds rather Star Wars-y IMO.

Edited by PrimeJunta, 14 May 2014 - 12:07 PM.

• aluminiumtrioxid, Forlorn Hope and karelia like this

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Mr. Sawyer, as someone who really enjoyed playing melee or combat bards in older DnD editions, I would like to ask if we will be able to build Chanters as passable melee combatants ?

Yes, they are fair melee combatants.  They don't have many abilities directly related to melee, but they have good health and accuracy.

• tajerio, SeekDWay, rdmcnz and 1 other like this

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Otherwise, sounds good. The chanter is very reminiscent of an everquest bard (with chant effects lasting a short time after a new chant has begun, allowing twisting). Hopefully, it won't be quite as intensive as that game's implementation (every four seconds, switch song), as that would be very difficult in a party-based game.

Definitely custom portraits for your own characters and I think (but am not positive) that we have UI support for switching companion portraits.  Not 100% sure on that.

Chanters have a chant interface that allows you to place in all of your phrases to see how they will overlap/twist.  When you pick a chant (which is a set of phrases you put together), you just click on it and it will automatically take effect when combat starts.  You only need to switch if you want a completely different chant.

• Wombat, Oner, SqueakyCat and 12 others like this

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like this. I've had an eye on making my main a priest, and the notion that "Reinforcing their deity's or order's preferred behavior will gradually increase their power" in any way sounds wonderful.

Gonna lead to some fun party mash ups.

Kiofs

Kiofs

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

Nice update, these two classes sounds very interesting, especially the chanter class

Don't like the Aumauau chanter though, can't tell whether it's a male or a female (leaning more towards a female). I hope (s)he is not a companion though.

Forlorn Hope

Forlorn Hope

Soldier of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
So chanters chant nearly all the time during combat? In other words, are the phrases spoken out? Maybe a murmur in the background?

Sheikh

Sheikh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Love the mechanics of chanters and the orders of the believers - very characteristic. I am looking forward to belongin in one.

Too bad if there arent going to be prestige classes though - may be in an expansion? If I started with a one character party, would like more flexibility in my main than being bound to support allied party members some of whom I havent even met yet.

• Bryy and mstark like this

Azzy

Azzy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm really liking the character classes, maybe I should write down which one I plan on playing first and see how often it changes as information is released.

I hope the classes get to shine during the game, that is the lore associated with them gets thoroughly aired so they feel real rather than just something you pick to kill/support the killing of stuff in a particular manner.

KillerClowns

KillerClowns

Deranged Clown of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Bleak Walkers definitely win for most interesting paladin order yet revealed. Yet I have to wonder how their mercilessness is defined, given their stated purpose is "to bring a swift end to conflicts". When the Bleak Walkers are unleashed, are their terms "surrender [under these harsh and non-negotiable terms] or die", or is it too late to even surrender if they are finally called to battle, with the mere threat of their presence used to coerce?

• aluminiumtrioxid and JFSOCC like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pillars of Eternity, Priest, Chanter, Spells, Aumaua, Kana, Cadegund

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users