Update #78: The Leaders of the Band: Chanters and Priests

Eothas - Presumed dead by many, Eothas is (or was) the god of renewal and light. His followers exemplify honesty and benevolence in their interactions with others. In the Dyrwood, Eothasians are often victims of prejudice due to the aftermath of The Saint's War, in which the Eothasian peasant known as St. Waidwen led a holy war into Norwaech.

In earlier kickstarter update#20 it was said that:

Eothas - The Aedyran name for a god of light and redemption. While worship of Eothas is still popular in the Aedyr Empire and Readceras, the faith is outlawed in most cities of the Dyrwood due to events of the Saint's War that culminated at Godhammer Citadel. Though Eothas once communicated regularly with his faithful, he has not done so since the destruction of St. Waidwen at the Battle of Godhammer over 200 years ago.

We know that some thing went revision, like the timetable of the war. What about the rest?

1. Is Eothas presumed dead in the Eastern Reaches or all across the Aedyr Empire?

2. Is the prejudice toward Eothasians across Dyrwood erldooms, also manifest in laws against them?

Norwaech is the northernmost erldom in the Dyrwood.  It's ruled by the Rafendr (RAH-ven-dur) family (arms: party per pale vert and azure overall a tower argent).

3. Does that mean that Godhammer citadel where the war has ended is part of Norwaech, Dyrwood? which Readceras captured?

the whole thing seems pretty straight forward to me... the more i read it the more i fail to see where you see inconsistencies

what you fail to understand, is that in realms of WIP the dev's reside atop Mount Olympus and what I suspect is always << what they can confirm. Plus Josh sometime offer us additional interesting tidbits in his answers and i'd really love to hear more(especially about #3).

For example, up until recently 'Free Palatinate of Dyrwood' borders were vaguely defined by the forested area on the map, with recent tidbits about Dyrwood erldoms offering a better picture. However, I don't suppose that you can elaborate on whether Godhammer citadel is currently part of Norwaech, Dyrwood, or changed hands during the war, regardless how much you spend gazing at those quotes ;)

Edited by Mor

I love the priest, sounds like an awesome class. Too bad one of the companions will already be an ass-kicking firearm-wielding priestess. Not that I'm complaining, but it means that I won't be creating a similar character anytime soon, I like diversity in my group.

And I already knew I'd like the chanter, but I really love how the names of their chants are actually the whole content of the chant. Nice concept, it really sells the idea that the whole chant is important, you can't just shorten it to a one-word description. :)

Sadly, I'm not really feeling that Aumauna chanter... will she be a companion? Maybe I'll grow to like her in the game, but right now she looks like the typical "wise savage".

Perhaps I missed it, but the article does not mention whether Priests get access to specific spells based on their deity. All it says is that all Priests have a set of common spells.

It says that priests get their spells from faith, but not from their deity. So it sounds as if there won't be these typical D&D type "blessings". But maybe there will still be spells unique to certain religions? One can only assume, but I'd think that worshipping a god of death is different from worshipping a god of love.

• Like 1

Can you not blatantly tell by the portrait? Because I can.

In a brand new fantasy species the sexual dimorphism might not be a given thing. But since we know next to nothing about aumaua I couldn't really tell the difference. And yes, the portrait looks masculine to me.

I thought s/he looks a bit ambiguous actually. But hey, this is Europe, that's how we roll.

"Rise like a phoenix!"  :facepalm:

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Kana Rua is a 'she'?

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Kana_Rua

References lead to this topic, but I seem to have problems finding the proper source.

Is there actually any evidence that Kana Rua is a companion, besides the fact that he/she is a named character?

Because if so, wouldn't that mean the previously pitched number of 8(?) companions has increased? Or alternativley that one of the former introduced companions has been removed?

With Kana Rua included we now have 8 but Josh said in another forum post that there would also be a fighter class companion, so...

Is there actually any evidence that Kana Rua is a companion, besides the fact that he/she is a named character?

Because if so, wouldn't that mean the previously pitched number of 8(?) companions has increased? Or alternativley that one of the former introduced companions has been removed?

With Kana Rua included we now have 8 but Josh said in another forum post that there would also be a fighter class companion, so...

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66195-update-78-the-leaders-of-the-band-chanters-and-priests/page-3?do=findComment&comment=1449493

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Perhaps I missed it, but the article does not mention whether Priests get access to specific spells based on their deity. All it says is that all Priests have a set of common spells.

It says that priests get their spells from faith, but not from their deity. So it sounds as if there won't be these typical D&D type "blessings". But maybe there will still be spells unique to certain religions? One can only assume, but I'd think that worshipping a god of death is different from worshipping a god of love.

Good point. I would like it if there are at least some higher level spells that are unique to specific faiths.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66195-update-78-the-leaders-of-the-band-chanters-and-priests/page-3?do=findComment&comment=1449493

Yes, I saw your post the first time.

But maybe I should have written "turns out to not have been a companion all along or has been otherwise altered" instead of "removed" to be perfectly clear.

• Like 1

Way back in Update #15, while the Kickstarter campaign was still in progress, the description of priests said:

In many ways, the prayers of priests have almost as much variety as wizards spells, though priests are restricted to invoking prayers that are aligned with their faith. Additionally, priests often specialize in the weapons, armor, and litanies of prayers most beloved by their church. Thus, the multitude of gods produces a multitude of different priests, each with their own unique array of abilities.

It would appear that this is no longer the case, which I suppose makes sense since differentiating the priests of various gods to such a degree would be about as much work as creating a whole bunch of new classes, and $4.5 million only goes so far. But will there be any difference in the spells and abilities of different priests beyond just the effectiveness of the Holy Radiance ability?

I would really like it if either:

• each priesthood had a few exclusive spells that were thematically appropriate, or
  • the spell list stayed the same, but each priesthood had a few spells that increased in power alongside Holy Radiance. So for example everyone would have access to fire spells like Cleansing Flame, but priests of Magran would gain a more powerful version for being good Magranites.
  • Like 5

Norwaech is the northernmost erldom in the Dyrwood.  It's ruled by the Rafendr (RAH-ven-dur) family (arms: party per pale vert and azure overall a tower argent).

Not that anybody asked, but here you go. Quick job, especially thanks to whoever made the commune of Lapenty's arms on Wikipedia. ;)

BO6mrrs.png

And the update? Well, sounds good. Still not sure what class I'll play though.

• Like 4

^ That's a perfect example of the whole detail bit! See, that one's got a bunch of little stones on it, and a little gate, etc. But, from a distance, you're not going to see all that. But you'll STILL see the distinct outline of a tower.

Some banners bearing the same heraldry might just be a solid white tower shape. Some could even have more detail, up close, than that one, on the tower, as long as the overall tower silhouette was still maintained at a distance. Etc.

Anywho, just emphasizing that, for what it's worth (I'm aware I'm not telling a lot of you what you don't already know).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Way back in Update #15, while the Kickstarter campaign was still in progress, the description of priests said:

In many ways, the prayers of priests have almost as much variety as wizards spells, though priests are restricted to invoking prayers that are aligned with their faith. Additionally, priests often specialize in the weapons, armor, and litanies of prayers most beloved by their church. Thus, the multitude of gods produces a multitude of different priests, each with their own unique array of abilities.

It would appear that this is no longer the case, which I suppose makes sense since differentiating the priests of various gods to such a degree would be about as much work as creating a whole bunch of new classes, and $4.5 million only goes so far. But will there be any difference in the spells and abilities of different priests beyond just the effectiveness of the Holy Radiance ability?

• each priesthood had a few exclusive spells that were thematically appropriate, or
  • the spell list stayed the same, but each priesthood had a few spells that increased in power alongside Holy Radiance. So for example everyone would have access to fire spells like Cleansing Flame, but priests of Magran would gain a more powerful version for being good Magranites.

Personally, I always thought that clerical spell casting should be just like a sorcerer's, but with a spell list restricted exclusively to spells within their dietie's domain.

When you say "clerical spell casting," I just imagine the character toting around a filing cabinet, and submitting forms to be stamped for approval by a deity before actually starting to cast the spell. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

When you say "clerical spell casting," I just imagine the character toting around a filing cabinet, and submitting forms to be stamped for approval by a deity before actually starting to cast the spell. :)

No no no, they only bring out the huge filing cabinet when they are meditating. They select certain files and asked to be approved and then carry around a portfolio for the rest of the day silly :-) )

Edit-by the gods i cannot get it to do a smiley face on my phone sigh

(Btw that was me being humorous and not taking a stab at you :-)

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 1

uuummmm yeaaaah ... I'm gonna go ahead and need you to submit those TPS reports before casting spells.

In the game, they're DPS reports. And don't forget to put the new cover sheets on them. I'll have someone send you another copy of the memo.

No no no, they only bring out the huge filing cabinet when they are meditating. They select certain files and asked to be approved and then carry around a portfolio for the rest of the day silly :-)

"That's a nice grimoire you've got there, Wizard... *whips out filing cabinet*"

:)

• Like 2

Kana Rua is a 'she'?

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Kana_Rua

References lead to this topic, but I seem to have problems finding the proper source.

Can you not blatantly tell by the portrait? Because I can.

Looking at the portrait, didn't even occur to me to me she might be a she, not a he.

I have absolutely no idea from looking at the portrait whether we're looking at a male or female aumaua.  Fortunately, I don't care.

• Like 2

My idea is faith-based variations of certain spells. There is a primary effect which is always the same, but the secondary effect depends on the followed god. This is much less work, since there is no need for additional UI elements or spell effects or full design work, only the spell description and the spell script (which is easy to write) changes. Example:

Proclamation of Faith

Primary effect: short stun on enemies in a small area

Secondary effect in the same area: Eothas -- Stamina regen on allies; Magran -- burn effect on enemies; Berath -- hobbled effect on enemies

This would differentiate priests without lots of additional design work.

• Like 4

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

You are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Priests are devoted followers of one or more deities, though almost all have a primary dedication to a single god above all others. They are well-versed in philosophy, myths, and legends, giving them an inherent bonus to the Lore skill. Additionally, the requirements of their faith often involve traveling long distances in difficult circumstances, giving them an inherent bonus to Athletics.

So far we learned of 5 skills, ~each has 3 associated class which gain inherent bonus in them, so I suppose that we might have up to 3 more skills. Each of the skill we have been told about, had some mechanic associated with them on top of being useful in scripted interactions. I wonder what it is for lore and athletics?

I suppose that Lore skill might help identifying creatures, filling up our cyclopedia faster or help craft potions. But, Athletics... I doubt its involved with traveling bonus (having a party member with good athletics, shouldn't help our whole party move faster) and I doubt it will boost their combat speed, which is something that I'd expect to see with monk/fighter/barbarian. Any ideas?

Edited by Mor

I wouldn't be surprised if that's all of them actually. Skills seem to have shrunk in scope immensely since Tim Cain's Kickstarter video.

with 5 skills they can create 10 combinations (5 x 2)

Athletics Mechanics

Athletics Stealth

Athletics Lore (Priest)

Athletics Survival

Mechanics Stealth (Rogue)

Mechanics Lore (Wizard, Chanter)

Mechanics Survival

Stealth Lore

Stealth Survival (Ranger)

Lore Survival

If it's okay for classes to share the same bonuses such as Wizard and Chanter, then there are no more skills needed.

The crafting skill would have made 12 possible combinations, enough for unique combos for all classes, but it was cut.

Edited by Sensuki

You are right, but that would make the skill much less distinctive, and will allow you to max every skill.. and since they unrolled couple of them in trios, I am hopeful for more.

At the moment here is the current list of class\skill from the wiki:

Rogue - Stealth Mechanic

Ranger - Stealth Survival

Chanter - Lore Mechanic

Monk - Stealth

Druid - Survival Athletics

Wizard - Lore Mechanic

Priest - Lore Athletics

Edited by Mor

The crafting skill would have made 12 possible combinations, enough for unique combos for all classes, but it was cut.

Almost useless factual correction: Combination (6, 2, non-repetitive) = 15  (6! / (5! * 2!) = 6 * 5 / 2 = 15). Or intuitively, take the above list, and add 5 new entries with the Crafting skill + each of the existing skills, 10 + 5 = 15.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding