Update #78: The Leaders of the Band: Chanters and Priests

I wonder if having a Bleak Walker in your party will prevent you from taking prisoners because they will insist on killing them.

I dunno, keeping them for torture or public execution (possibly both!) also seems like a valid option.

Good catch. I forgot we could torture prisoners.

Hint: Referring to people as "it" is considered extremely rude and dehumanising.

What does it mean to dehumanise an Amauna?

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Good catch. I forgot we could torture prisoners.

I'm not sure we can. But we probably should be able to? (Actually I'm not sure if we should, but from a verisimilitude standpoint, having a torture chamber in the keep seems reasonable.)

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed that the priest don't have much deity specific power like they did in IWD2. In traditional RPG, though priests for most of the time plays as a healing role, they do have some devastating spells resembling wrath from their gods. Hope they won't lose this aspect in this game.

I still expect seeing more deity specific power in the future. A priest worshiping a elemental lord, death god, wisdom god, nature god, merchant god...... should have  variances in their existence. 

I'm not sure we can. But we probably should be able to? (Actually I'm not sure if we should, but from a verisimilitude standpoint, having a torture chamber in the keep seems reasonable.)

Do we get to upgrade the torture room or customize it? I mean if there is only one style of torture it's bound to get repetitive very soon, that being said I believe that Obsidian will make torture the most fun it can be.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Pallegina's character sheet shows that attribute bonuses (both are from items) don't stack with each other. What about defenses, DT and stamina regeneration?

Spells, items and abilities/talents can provide bonuses to various stats. Would a modal ability that increases reflexes by 10 stack with an item or spell that improves reflexes by 5 points?

Since Sawyer is fond of universal game mechanics, I think it's safe to assume to the same limitation will apply to everything.

The latter question crossed my mind, too. Don't know the answer.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Do we get to upgrade the torture room or customize it? I mean if there is only one style of torture it's bound to get repetitive very soon, that being said I believe that Obsidian will make torture the most fun it can be.

I'm sorry to curb your enthusiasm, but I don't think anyone in the dev team has commented on the subject of torture chambers so far.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Hint: Referring to people as "it" is considered extremely rude and dehumanising.

... de..aumanise..? ... does that work?

(Shhh. I was well-aware that human-based language was clearly going to fall down when applied to a non-human sapient.)

Anyways, point is that the character looks pretty cool and the class itself sounds really interesting.

I particularly love the idea that you take fragments of stories and poems and the like and turn them into real effects.

(... no-one tell the tale of Oedipus though. That... I don't see any way that could end well.)

• Like 1

I'm sorry to curb your enthusiasm, but I don't think anyone in the dev team has commented on the subject of torture chambers so far.

Personally I'd prefer that the torture SIM stuff be left for the fetish modders. Just saying... :bat:

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I don't know man, there are some pretty disparate ideas of what constitutes a true believer:

I recall reading that the deities are prone to being meddlesome and involve themselves in the world to advance their agendas. This suggests to me that they'll take an interest in what their clergy are doing and have the potential to bestow boons and inflict reprimands upon those who profess to speak and act in their name.

The deity itself as envisioned and sculpted by Obsidian will be the ultimate arbiter of the mysteries and dogma of their denomination. This will variously have its roots in the reputation system and certain key dialogues throughout the story.

• Like 3

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Well, someone made the character.

I quite imagine they don't appreciate all the gay jokes, either.

• Like 1

Well all magic using classes have chants when they cast a spell? or just the chanters? PS the animation needs polish when they cast spells like whene in BG they start using hand jesters to creat the spell. lol other wise great update :cat:

Except it's not all your spells.  It's one specific ability (priest passive AoE stamina regen, paladin passive defense boost) that is effected by your following of your chosen path.  I'm doubting it's absolutely vital to have those running at max efficiency, and if you're unwilling to take a minor hit to those abilities in order to make an in-character choice, well...sorry?

Ohhhh... that makes a lot more sense. I totally misread that. Wow... Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Still, though, I would like to see outright differences in those powers (change in radius, change in regen rate, etc.) depending on what you do, rather than just "you follow your chosen faith, it gets better, you don't, it gets worse."

I guess I'd rather the choice be which faith you follow (in your actual decisions and actions throughout the game) than choosing some template up front, then having everything compared to that baseline, and either being rated positive or negative. Even if it all just affects the one main faith-based power.

One Priest's Holy Radiance (for example) could deal more damage to undead (than usual), one could have a greater radius, one could regen stamina at a greater rate, one could deal slight damage to foes, one could gain a chance to apply afflictions, etc. All the while, you've still got choices that matter, and your choices still produce results in reputation and story/lore regardless of however your character's mechanics are directly affected.

I just think that'd be much more interesting across the board than "Oh, you chose Path A at the beginning? Well, now you still have to choose whether or not to follow that to a T and gain bonuses, or stray from it and have your faith power diminish." I think if you're going to have a mutually exclusive choice like that (various different paths, and you can only choose... what, 2 behaviors?), they should all bring something unique to the table, even if it's minor, instead of just having this mutually exclusive choice that results in either gaining or losing the exact same thing.

Just getting to pick which behaviors will make you better (in the same way), and which behaviors will make you worse (in the same way) is a bit bland, in comparison.

That's if that's even how it works. All that was said is that your faith power will either grow, or be diminished. They didn't say specifically how. Maybe they're already planning on having the different options contribute various bonuses and detriments. *Shrug*

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't know man, there are some pretty disparate ideas of what constitutes a true believer:

I recall reading that the deities are prone to being meddlesome and involve themselves in the world to advance their agendas. This suggests to me that they'll take an interest in what their clergy are doing and have the potential to bestow boons and inflict reprimands upon those who profess to speak and act in their name.

The deity itself as envisioned and sculpted by Obsidian will be the ultimate arbiter of the mysteries and dogma of their denomination. This will variously have its roots in the reputation system and certain key dialogues throughout the story.

that's a good argument. I wonder if all deities are like that. I also wonder how far they would go to do this, but I suppose anyone going too far will find themselves excommunicated.
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

that's a good argument. I wonder if all deities are like that. I also wonder how far they would go to do this, but I suppose anyone going too far will find themselves excommunicated.

EX-COM: Affiliation Unknown. 8)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Perhaps I missed it, but the article does not mention whether Priests get access to specific spells based on their deity. All it says is that all Priests have a set of common spells.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Very dissapointed to see a gun on the charcter portrait, did not relize this would be gun powder fantasy.  Hoping that was just a sample and not going forward in game.   Ive also never heard this archtype called a 'leader'  generally the leader is whatever character your playing.  Usually consider 'cloth' preists healers/support, 'plate/chain' preists sub-damage/healer

Why would they make a picture of a character with a gun as a "sample" of the product if they didn't intend to have guns?

Note the date of the update as being September 20, 2012. That was nearly a month prior to the end of the kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/312639

Black powder firearms are of the single-shot wheellock variety. Largely considered complex curiosities, these weapons are not employed extensively by military forces. Their long reload times are considered a liability in battles against foes that are too monstrous to drop with a single volley, foes that fly or move at high speed, and foes that have the power of invisibility. Despite this, some individuals do employ firearms for one specific purpose: close range penetration of the arcane veil, a standard magical defense employed by wizards. The arcane veil is powerful, but it does not react well to the high-velocity projectiles generated by arquebuses and handguns. As a result, more wizards who previously relied on the veil and similar abjurations have turned to traditional armor for additional defense.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 5

Eothas - Presumed dead by many, Eothas is (or was) the god of renewal and light. His followers exemplify honesty and benevolence in their interactions with others. In the Dyrwood, Eothasians are often victims of prejudice due to the aftermath of The Saint's War, in which the Eothasian peasant known as St. Waidwen led a holy war into Norwaech.

In earlier kickstarter update#20 it was said that:

Eothas - The Aedyran name for a god of light and redemption. While worship of Eothas is still popular in the Aedyr Empire and Readceras, the faith is outlawed in most cities of the Dyrwood due to events of the Saint's War that culminated at Godhammer Citadel. Though Eothas once communicated regularly with his faithful, he has not done so since the destruction of St. Waidwen at the Battle of Godhammer over 200 years ago.

We know that some thing went revision, like the timetable of the war. What about the rest?

1. Is Eothas presumed dead in the Eastern Reaches or all across the Aedyr Empire?

2. Is the prejudice toward Eothasians across Dyrwood erldooms, also manifest in laws against them?

Norwaech is the northernmost erldom in the Dyrwood.  It's ruled by the Rafendr (RAH-ven-dur) family (arms: party per pale vert and azure overall a tower argent).

3. Does that mean that Godhammer citadel where the war has ended is part of Norwaech, Dyrwood? which Readceras captured? Edited by Mor
  • Like 2

I was planning to play a priest from the off anyway...this update made me even more committed. I can see how some might find it rather "boring" but personally it's everything i expected. The is nice cause it illustrates the nature of their beliefs not as zealots but rather men who, through faith, search for the answers to life's questions and (like the pilgrims of old) travel and share the knowledge they have accumulated either through divine or mundane means. Personally, i think that Berath, the god of death, sound really interesting and it reminds me of my NWN2 playthrough as a doomguide of Kelemvor. Can't wait.

Josh Sawyer mentioned that because they are sort of like "traveling" pilgrims and gatherers of divine knowledge that this will be reflected with a bonus to athletics. Does that affect combat in any way?

Also, a question for Josh - Will the deity "favored weapon" (like with Magran and firearm) be reflected in some way on the character? I plan on going with Berath and was wondering if it has any influence on using my preferred weapon (the staff)? Are priest viable in melee to begin with?

If the game is replayable enough I'll probably give all of the classes a go as a main character. I'll probably choose out of the ones lacking a companion to begin with though.

• Like 1

Eothas - Presumed dead by many, Eothas is (or was) the god of renewal and light. His followers exemplify honesty and benevolence in their interactions with others. In the Dyrwood, Eothasians are often victims of prejudice due to the aftermath of The Saint's War, in which the Eothasian peasant known as St. Waidwen led a holy war into Norwaech.

In earlier kickstarter update#20 it was said that:

Eothas - The Aedyran name for a god of light and redemption. While worship of Eothas is still popular in the Aedyr Empire and Readceras, the faith is outlawed in most cities of the Dyrwood due to events of the Saint's War that culminated at Godhammer Citadel. Though Eothas once communicated regularly with his faithful, he has not done so since the destruction of St. Waidwen at the Battle of Godhammer over 200 years ago.

We know that some thing went revision, like the timetable of the war. What about the rest?

1. Is Eothas presumed dead in the Eastern Reaches or all across the Aedyr Empire?

2. Is the prejudice toward Eothasians across Dyrwood erldooms, also manifest in laws against them?

Norwaech is the northernmost erldom in the Dyrwood.  It's ruled by the Rafendr (RAH-ven-dur) family (arms: party per pale vert and azure overall a tower argent).

3. Does that mean that Godhammer citadel where the war has ended is part of Norwaech, Dyrwood? which Readceras captured?

the whole thing seems pretty straight forward to me... the more i read it the more i fail to see where you see inconsistencies 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.