Paul Kirsch will write the Collectors Book for Eternity

Because it was dug by me from the guys site who was gushing over getting the job.

Why the **** shouldn't he be allowed to. Should he be advised to wait for an update?

****ing no.

Like I said, it's not just this.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Another interesting piece of news that features nowhere on the forums or backer's portal.

Because it was dug by me from the guys site who was gushing over getting the job.

Why the **** shouldn't he be allowed to. Should he be advised to wait for an update?

****ing no.

Get a grip. I'm not suggesting for a moment that there should be some sort of embargo on information, or anything that hampers third parties gaining scoops. What I am saying is that I'd like to learn stuff from visiting the official site and not have to rely on researching / scouring the web and forums for stuff that I might be interested in.

Obsidian are in the dark ages with community engagement - their Facebook is updated once or twice every Pleosene era and the developers share stuff on their own pet forums that aren't here. So, to re-cap, well done you on spotting something. Glad you got it first. I'd also, however, like to see stuff like this shared on the forums and, crucially, the bloody backer's portal.

Sadly, I'm getting to the point where I think Obz think they are just too damn cool to have limited community engagement. You see better updates from small indie titles on Steam, FFS.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I agree with the sentiments of others. It would be good to go to the Backer Portal and to read the latest news and links to news sites, to see updated screen shots and concept artwork which hasn't been updated for half a year and just have a one stop repository of information.

I have no problem with a third party site getting the scoop on something. It would be nice to be able to go to the Backer Portal a couple / few days later and see an actual link to the news article or someone's website, twitter account, etc. Especially for those who don't frequent the boards, it would be good to have all news links available in one spot. Josh has posted a lot of lore on the boards and it would be good to see part of the Backer Portal dedicated to the lore of the game with all his (or over dev's) posts.

• Like 4

I agree with Monte Carlo that more updates to the backer portal are needed, but not for the same reason. I think that if someone new to the game is referred to the backer portal or finds it by themselves, the portal should be up to date with the latest info. I'm a member on these boards, I will eventually find out most news thanks to fellow forum members. When news articles form the likes of PC Gamer or any other site, someone at Obsidian should post it on these forums or even better, on the front page of the site. If i was a Add new screens to the backer portal. For instance, where are the new, great looking screens from update 77? Nowhere to be found on their portal.

It shouldn't be too difficult to have a forum dedicated to news if they feel they can't do things mentioned above. Have a forum specifically for news on Obsidian entertainment stuff that gets reported from other sites..

• Like 2

A couple of years back, on the NWN2 forums, Obsidian had a community manager there, who eventually passed on the torch. It was nice and all, but it didn't remedy the news update problem. Easiest way for Obsidian would be to have a place on these forums, a "news dump" of sorts, where everything news-worthy they deliberately release (and that's not classed as scoop-stuff), gets posted. In addition, all posts from devs would be easily searchable there. Instead of clicking on Josh's avatar to get a list of his post, they should swipe a page from Blizzard's book and have some "blue post"-feature, which draws attention to all posts that Josh & Co make.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I don't care about community engagement. I care about Obsidian helping themselves. When people browse the Pillars of Eternity backer portal, it should be updated with the latest news, screens, audio, etc. I don't think that is community engagement. For istance, there are no songs on there, and we have already heard a couple of tracks.

• Like 3

Am I the only one  here who really doesn't give a damn about community engagement? 

Nope.

I think the reason every bit of news / new topic on this form gets chewed though so hard is simply because people want something Eternity related to talk about... and we have basically talked about everything eternity related to death.  Maybe some people think a community manager will just end up getting them more reveals or have some "official" pipeline to Obsidian so they can carry on some kind of dialog.

That isn't really how it works though in practice and Obsidian is too small to really need one.  We are okay as we are, all of us are just antsy for a beta or gameplay video.  Something we can actually sink our teeth in so to speak.

• Like 3

****ing no.

Its not some sites that get *scopes*. Its the result of information not being hidden behind NDAs. Of course someone will post some random thing about the game then when he can.

And Obsidian absolutly can't update their site IMMEDIATLY. Not on a weekend, not at any moment in time.

The reason we get to hear these things from other sources is people like ME who dig it up as fast as possible.

Even if they get a dedicated Community Manager, WE WILL STILL BE FASTER.

THATS NOT GOING TO CHANGE.

Except if they control the distribution of said info 100%. Means we get less info, more arbitarly restricted.

And is that really what you want?

Edited.

Edited by C2B

And I do understand the need for a dedicated community manager. But, the reason you get a lot of information first on other sites isn't the problem. The info won't ever be always first here and its due to crazy fans like me you get it here so fast.

The reason I get so agitated is because of the *Everything must also be first here*. No it doesn't. Thats a restriction.

Edited by C2B

****ing no.

And it applies to nearly every ****ing case. I'm the guy who finds a lot of those after all.

Its not some sites that get *scopes*. Its the result of information not being hidden behind ****ing NDAs. Of course someone will post some random thing about the game then when he can.

And Obsidian absolutly can't update their site IMMEDIATLY. Not on a weekend, not at any moment in time.

The ****ing reason we get to hear these things from other sources is people like ME who dig this **** up as fast as possible.

THATS NOT GOING TO ****ING CHANGE.

Except if they control the distribution of said info 100%. Means we get less info, more arbitarly restricted.

Dude you are looking for a confrontation when there is none. No one here said that sites are getting scoups, we said that obsidian is just telling more to the press and other boards then they do here.

As for YOU being the one that finds most of the info, well I couldn't care less. I haven't seen that much from you anyways.

So **** off.

Edited by Sarex

****ing no.

And it applies to nearly every ****ing case. I'm the guy who finds a lot of those after all.

Its not some sites that get *scopes*. Its the result of information not being hidden behind ****ing NDAs. Of course someone will post some random thing about the game then when he can.

The ****ing reason we get to hear these things from other sources is people like ME who dig this **** up as fast as possible.

THATS NOT GOING TO ****ING CHANGE.

Dude you are looking for a confrontation when there is none. No one here said that sites are getting scoups, we said that obsidian is just telling more to the press and other boards then they do here.

As for YOU being the one that finds most of the info, well I couldn't care less. I haven't seen that much from you anyways.

So **** off.

They don't. Obsidian still posts regulary here. More than at any other place.

Theres SomethingAwful, but thats only ropekid and he has been a dedicated member for years there. Hes giving answers to questions on his own. Not in any offical Obsidian capacity. Otherwise there aren't any other boards. Brandon doesn't post anywhere else, Adam doesn't either.

Otherwise do you just not want them to give interviews? Because they are kinda important. And Interviews should give new information as well after all. Otherwise people are complaining that theres no new info in x interview.

Edited by C2B

Theres SomethingAwful, but thats only ropekid and he has been a dedicated member for years there. Hes giving answers to questions on his own. Not in any offical Obsidian capacity. Otherwise there aren't any other boards. Brandon doesn't post anywhere else, Adam doesn't either.

Otherwise do you just not want them to give interviews? Because they are kinda important. And Interviews should give new information as well after all.

Are you for real? Please read the whole post, before raging. No one said give no interviews, what was said is when you give those interviews give us links and of course they should be more active on their own board then somewhere else.

Otherwise do you just not want them to give interviews? Because they are kinda important. And Interviews should give new information as well after all.

Are you for real? Please read the whole post, before raging. No one said give no interviews, what was said is when you give those interviews give us links and of course they should be more active on their own board then somewhere else.

Said interviews are posted by the respective interviewers without Obsidians involvement (And as such may differ in release even if a specific time is given). Some of them in different timezones. So, yes the community is still faster in digging those up. And Obsidian does post about them. Like the NewEgg articles where Obsidian was actually faster than the community

Ok, this isn't what the topic was about. :closed:

Eh, yeah I'm getting waaaaaaaaay off track. I do agree there are things Obsidian could do for better community interaction (Though I'm not sure I'd want resources spent on it when the community takes care of it.), but excpecting everything to be immediatly posted here does get a kneejerk reaction from me. Because its impossible without limiting.

How would you have tracked Paul and Carry gushing over their involvement on their respective blogs for example? Its not that easy to coordinate.

Edited by C2B

I actually really like the fact that we have stuff like this. (Paul and Carry expressing happiness over their new jobs publicly.) I, and I think everyone in this thread also don't mind news sites posting about Pillars of Eternity. I am very certain all of us are happy with that. I am also very certain that most (all?) people on these boards don't mind if other sites get the news first, because that's kind of the point.

I think what people mean is: GameBanshee gets an interview with Chris Avellone. They post it on their site. Awesome. They got that and we are all happy Obsidian Entertainment are getting coverage. Here begins the issue some people have: Why don't we see a link to this interview? It doesn't matter if the community was fast in discovering this and starting a thread about it. That is to be expected. But why is there no mention about this in the news section on the backer portal or posted on the front page? I remember that other of their games got news articles posted on the front page. This is what I mean by Obsidian helping themselves. Not being first with the news, just post it at some point, even if they are a week late.

• Like 4

This is what I mean by Obsidian helping themselves. Not being first with the news, just post it at some point, even if they are a week late.

And thats a fine opinion to have

They do usually bring them up in updates. A dedicated tab for game related articles (Ones that are on the internet) on the site would be much better though. Looking for a certain interview is a pain as it is.

• Like 2

Lol Dura.

As another fellow information gatherer, since I consider the Codex my home site now I post there first, then here.

There's STACKS of info that Obsidian do not post in updates, their updates are development updates - not a twitter feed about everything that happens at the company.

I'm not really a fan of the whole community manager thing, as that simply puts another wall of PR between the player and the developer.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

That is what I would like to see. A forum section that is focused only on news, run by the members of this forum.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this but also have someone compile a list of news items for the week (game reviews, twitter posts, blog posts, etc) and email an Obsidian employee who can update the Backer Portal once a week. And then people can read the news for the week.

• Like 2

Labadal's solution solves most of the problem and should be implemented forthwith. I'm sure there would be plenty of people who'd be happy to do it.

As for community manager, I think we can get bogged down in semantics. I don't mean a full-time PR / marketeer type person, that's expensive. I mean someone who has the responsibility to keep news updates from multiple sources centralised, then publicises them for backers in an easy-to-access location.

• Like 5

sonsofgygax.JPG

It's funny, though; We already have a subforum with the title "Announcements and News". Still, it's almost strictly for updates and an occasional thank-you-thread. Wouldn't it be great if we got one strictly for the latest stuff on Pillars of Eternity that just keeps chugging along? So, you click it, safe in the knowledge that you get to find real news about the game, comments from devs, and tidbits about the game in general.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***