Paul Kirsch will write the Collectors Book for Eternity

Saw this posted on rpgcodex. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/obsidians-pillars-of-eternity-formerly-known-as-project-eternity.75947/page-1171#post-3264676

Here's a link to his site: http://paul-kirsch.com/2014/05/09/pillars-of-eternity/

Starting Monday, I’m under contract to write the Collector’s Edition book for Pillars of Eternity, the upcoming game from Obsidian Entertainment (!!!).

I am losing my mind.

According to the Kickstarter page, 73,986 backers supported the creation of this game. The tiers of $35 and up will receive a copy of the book (digital or print), which means that 27,743 people will see my writing at launch. This figure doesn’t take into account the backers who upgraded their pledge or contributed after the initial Kickstarter campaign.

…WOW.

I’m not sure whether or not I’m blowing this out of proportion, but I can say that I am extremely excited.

A few months back, when I was a candidate for the original job, I put all of my weight into the writing prompts and questionnaire that Obsidian sent my way. Even though my understanding of Eternity’s setting was narrow, the bits and pieces I saw under the hood made me want to work for this team, and work hard. In an official capacity as a writer, this was the most rewarding assignment I’d ever completed.

And that strikes at the core of why I’m excited: Work. This isn’t going to be fun. It’s going to be hard and sweaty. It will punish my sense of time and self. The space in my brain reserved for breathing and digestion will be replaced by the history and cultures of a place that doesn’t exist.

And even though I may curse my keyboard by the end of the first week, somewhere inside I’ll be grinning like a fool.

What is the Collector's Book? From the Kickstarter page:

DIGITAL COLLECTOR'S BOOK IN PDF FORMAT. The digital book will include concept art, player's handbook, monster manual, exclusive information about the campaign setting and characters, and the Making of Project Eternity Documentary (download option).

Never heard of him, but I wish him the best of luck.

• Like 9

Yes I too am looking forward to reading this, Mr Avellone's novella and all the other stuff, but to reassure the obvious nerves of Mr Kirsch: Don't worry so much sir we are merely sat here, the many tens of thousands waiting, watching and judging you with the anal thoroughness Mr Swayer knows all too well we possess. No pressure.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Mannock: Nice picture of cry-babies there!

Kirsch seems to be just fine for the job. According to Wikipedia: "a refined taste with subtle flavours of cherry and a slight bitter-almond taste that derives from the stones". :geek:

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

To give RPGCodex their due, they do put out some pretty decent game reviews from time to time. But yeah, pretty much agree with the sentiment.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm guessing we'll hear about this in the upcoming update next week. 

Problem is even if we do hear about this in the next upade, there were so many things we found out from third parties about some pretty big new info. I agree with MC, they need to step up on this front.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Volorun should be the community manager.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm guessing we'll hear about this in the upcoming update next week.

Problem is even if we do hear about this in the next upade, there were so many things we found out from third parties about some pretty big new info. I agree with MC, they need to step up on this front.

?

Not really.

The reason we hear so much stuff from third parties is simple. Obsidian doesn't do tight control of information (at least not on everything) and there are people like me (I'm Duraframe by the way) who dig it up.

AND I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER ****ING WAY.

Screw people like Paul not being able to gush over his new job. He's allowed to, wherever he wants.

• Like 2

Volorun should be the community manager.

I was going to say that. Unfortunately, every time we'd ask him about any sort of info, we would get the answer: No. If we're lucky, and he feels generous, we might get a "Nope". Might.

Seriously, we don't need this ****. Its not an AAA production where we have wait months for chewed information. It shouldn't be.

Regardless if you think info should only be allowed to be posted in the updates.

Edited by C2B

Another interesting piece of news that features nowhere on the forums or backer's portal.

Because it was dug by me from the guys site who was gushing over getting the job.

Why the **** shouldn't he be allowed to. Should he be advised to wait for an update?

****ing no.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

"No."

No.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"No."

No.

No no, no no, no, no, nononono, no, NO, no, no, NO, no, nobody can do the SHIMMY like I do, nobody can do the SHAKE like I do, nobody can BOOGALOO like I do... Edited by Ffordesoon
  • Like 1

Aren't they releasing information on other forums and news sites to generate interest in the game? Everyone on this site is a lock, by that we all bought the game for the most part. Obsidian doesn't have a big budget to spend millions on advertising, and releasing insider info to these forums and sites is a cheap(free) way to get the PoE the spotlight. Don't take it as a personal insult, think about why it might happen. Free publicity is a good reason, I want Obsidian to succeed - the more games they make with total creative control the better. (At least in theory, hopefully it'll become substantiated fact after the release of PoE.

Besides, does this forum even need all information first? It seems some of the members have a google search of Pillars going on 24/7. If even a whisper of this game occurs elsewhere it finds it's way here. Just my 2cents ;p Cheers guys

• Like 1

"No."

No.

No no, no no, no, no, nononono, no, NO, no, no, NO, no, nobody can do the SHIMMY like I do, nobody can do the SHAKE like I do, nobody can BOOGALOO like I do...

No one twerks like Gaston.

Makes it work like Gaston.