Late backer reward question.

I didn't hear about Pillars of Eternity until after the Kickstarter funding period was over. I'm going to make a late pledge to the $140.00 tier with the physical Collector's Edition box or possibly the $250.00 tier with the signed Collector's Edition box. Can anyone tell me if late backers also get the special Kickstarter only in-game achievement and item? Thanks.

I figured as much. Hopefully, it's something I can purchase on eBay in the future. I like to have all the pre-order bonuses for games, especially RPG's. I'm glad I was able to get in on the initial funding for Torment and Wasteland 2 and I'm especially glad that I can still purchase a Collector's Edition box for Pillars of Eternity.

Edited by dariussd

Personally, this is like one of those moments where people backed for exclusive alpha access only for the game to go on Early Access on Steam.

Why should someone that didn't back the game on Kickstarter get a Kickstarter Backer Achievement? It goes beyond wanting to "feel special" or "completist" (which I still will never understand - and that's coming from a guy with Autism). There are some that backed at the ground level, and giving that award to just anyone cheapens the help you gave them. What you're basically saying here is that you want the recognition of helping when you actually didn't just because you like having things. That's super offensive. It's on the same level as "Kickstarter is a store/pre-order". Didn't pay $100? Don't get your name in the credits.

• Like 2

The Kickstarter Backer achievement is probably going to be just that - a Steam achievement that says "Backed on Kickstarter" - not exactly something to have in your game if you didn't.

As for the item - they've said it'll be nice but not uber-powerful so you won't miss it if you don't have it.  'Completionist' can still be completionist by getting everything in your retail copy of the game.

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Geez Bryy, chill out. You've had attitude about this from the start. I don't need a "Kickstarter Backer Only" achievement, I'd like to have the item if possible sometime down the road, be it in the form of a patch or obtaining it some other way. If you don't like completionists, fine. You have a right to your opinion. I'll continue doing what I enjoy.

• Like 1

I'm not sure but was one of the rewards a pet of some kind? Personally i'm going to play the GOG version so achievements are totally inconsequential to me, if I could swap them I would. Anyway good luck Mr Darius.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I don't need a "Kickstarter Backer Only" achievement

Except in almost every post you said you wanted it.

So my opinion is not the same as yours? No reason to get eMad. I didn't say you couldn't have the item, that it was ridiculous to do so. No. I said that it was offensive to have something that actually meant something that you didn't earn, which meant the achievement. Don't try turning this into something it isn't just because someone on the internet said something you didn't like.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 2

I don't understand the importance of wanting an achievement that you never participated in. Similar to other games where you get achievements for participating in different things like Beta or Web Promotions (Diablo 3 comes to mind) and months or years down the track wanting that Web Promotion or Beta achievement because other people have it. Despite the fact you never participated in it in the first place.

I don't want recognition as someone who funded during the original Kickstarter campaign. I don't want an achievement that says I did. I didn't get in until too late and that is fine with me. I would like to have the opportunity to receive the in-game item at some point in the future, even though I know it won't be a super powerful item. I don't want it to be a super powerful item. I just like all the random extra items game companies give out for RPG's. The money I'm putting toward this game now goes directly towards funding the original game to make it better. The way I see it, my money is just a little less relevant than an original Kickstarter contributor. I don't think the game was ever in any danger of not getting funded in some form so I'm contributing to it also.

I still don't get it. It's an in game achievement and item for being a backer at the time. The same as nobody can't request Blizzard to hand out those achievements when they were current 3 years ago. And there's many examples of other games where you may have received an in game item (eg. World of Tanks beta tank) or achievement during that specified time. The time has passed.

I still don't get it. It's an in game achievement and item for being a backer at the time. The same as nobody can't request Blizzard to hand out those achievements when they were current 3 years ago. And there's many examples of other games where you may have received an in game item (eg. World of Tanks beta tank) or achievement during that specified time. The time has passed.

I don't post a lot (only here for the PoE updates), but dear God, how small-minded can you and Bryy be? Yes It's an kickstarter only item, but maybe (maayybbeee, Just maaaayyyybeeeee) some players want to collect all the items ingame? Is it that hard to comprehend?? Come on, I thought you at least had a 3-digit IQ to understand that.

• Like 1

I don't post a lot (only here for the PoE updates), but dear God, how small-minded can you and Bryy be? Yes It's an kickstarter only item, but maybe (maayybbeee, Just maaaayyyybeeeee) some players want to collect all the items ingame? Is it that hard to comprehend?? Come on, I thought you at least had a 3-digit IQ to understand that.

Maybe Obsidian shouldn't hand out rewards during Kickstarter campaigns since everyone who missed out on it will just cry about it. Seriously, what's the point of a reward if everyone gets it? It stops being a reward and is just part of the game.

I saw this on the World of Tanks boards with players crying about missing out on their beta tank. I was actually in the beta but didn't play enough games to get the beta tank. I didn't realise you had to play like 1000 games or how many it was at the time. Since there was going to be a server wipe when it went live, I decided put WoT on hold for a while until it went live. I didn't cry about it like so many others. I just thought, 'oh well'. The same with the Diablo forums with missing out on their beta achievement because they couldn't get in the beta.

Also, the OP is buying the retail version. The OP can get everything in their game and still get 100%. Just like in Diablo 3 where everyone can get 100% achievements regardless of when you started playing. The difference being in Diablo 3 is the Feats of Strength achievements which don't contribute to your 100% total. It will probably be the same with the retail version with not having the KS achievement listed. And as Helz said, some crafty modder will probably be able to unlock the in game item. So you may still get the item.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 2

Somebody remind me, what was the special KS-only a-cheese-ment?

I hate a-cheese-ments. Perhaps I can gift you mine?

I believe you get the Master of the Boot achievement, which supplies you with a mule-towed charcoal grill for your camp site along with a burly cook named Jordan....

...nah, not really. We don't know.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I've found a description of the Kickstarter backer item, i've copied out the text for those interested.

The Bulging Codpiece of Artificial Self Importance.

This gargantuan golden codpiece lends its wearer an inflated sense of self importance and achievement, along its side is stamped a runic inscription that roughly translated from the Old Aedyrean reads as "Epeen the Intangible." It is said that the Grand Army of the South, all seventy thousand of them, wore these as they marched into the Dyrwood and helped form a new colony of Aedyr. This was their greatest moment.

The Grand Army fell apart after this, pointless bickering and insults were exchanged between the soldiers, and their proud codpieces wilted as they each walked their own path. Some became degenerate promancers, forcing their sickening attentions on anything they could find, whether animal, vegetable or mineral. Some wandered into dark places of forbidden terrible knowledge, and read from the Codex of the Inconceivable. Still others threw themselves to the barren earth, wailing and gnashing their teeth, their durability had disappeared and its departure left them feeling empty and brittle. And in the night dark pits of the Armoury, where terrible weapons and stout armours were forged a great cry rose up, the breastplates of the Grand Army were insulting and degenerate.

All these and many more issues served to divide the Grand Army and scatter it to the four winds, but now this Golden Codpiece rests over your loins, and with raised eyebrow you smile at all that pass, secure in the fact that you are one of the worthy.

Abilities:

Bloody Wolves - D4 Uberwolves appear and attack all within range, your armour and weapons are stripped from you but you gain a massive bonus to diplomacy.

The Mark of Cain - A random recipe floats down from the heavens.

There are said to be many more abilities, but they were scattered amongst the seventy thousand, and only they can tell of them.

• Like 6

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

For the slacker backers, there will be the Silver Codpiece of the Camp Follower. They will also gain a unique goat pet named Thumper that is located, for reasons "beyond the comprehension of a mere mortal", in the depths of the Endless Paths. Attached to the pet, you will find an old scroll inside detailing what you may have won if you'd only selected a different door....

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."