Female gamers having a hard time in gaming communites

It is my belief that a lot of these trends are dictated by our biology and the way we have evolved, since human males evolved to engage in aggressive, risk-taking behavior (thanks, testosterone!). I tend to view our position in society (however great or poor it may be) as an expression of our innate qualities as males, which are determined by hundreds of thousands of years of evolutionary pressure.

hmmm. hate to do this, but seems necessary. your reasoning were used quite frequently as an excuse to prolong the disparate treatment o' blacks and asians and other minority groups in this country.

You are supposing that my idea is prescriptive, when in fact I think it is descriptive. I'm not making a value judgement. I'm making an observation.

so was aristotle and shockley. they would say that they weren't making value judgments. they were wrong, of course. 

additionally, Gromnir is also simply making an observation.  am thinking it would be silly to claim that there is no differences 'tween men and women. ursula believes there is significant innate differences. our observation is that the folks using observation o' society to then make conclusions 'bout innate qualities o'  sexes or races or whatever, has frequent been wrong. we is observing the failure of reasoning when applied by folks who were the most brilliant minds o' their time... but perhaps decado knows something they didn't? 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It is my belief that a lot of these trends are dictated by our biology and the way we have evolved, since human males evolved to engage in aggressive, risk-taking behavior (thanks, testosterone!). I tend to view our position in society (however great or poor it may be) as an expression of our innate qualities as males, which are determined by hundreds of thousands of years of evolutionary pressure.

hmmm. hate to do this, but seems necessary. your reasoning were used quite frequently as an excuse to prolong the disparate treatment o' blacks and asians and other minority groups in this country.

You are supposing that my idea is prescriptive, when in fact I think it is descriptive. I'm not making a value judgement. I'm making an observation.

so was aristotle and shockley. they would say that they weren't making value judgments. they were wrong, of course. 

additionally, Gromnir is also simply making an observation.  am thinking it would be silly to claim that there is no differences 'tween men and women. ursula believes there is significant innate differences. our observation is that the folks using observation o' society to then make conclusions 'bout innate qualities o'  sexes or races or whatever, has frequent been wrong. we is observing the failure of reasoning when applied by folks who were the most brilliant minds o' their time... but perhaps decado knows something they didn't? 

HA! Good Fun!

I'm going to go on Gromnir side here and agree that social science tend to lean towards the subjective. Unless I've misunderstood Decado or that he can back up his statments with facts(Considering his field study I believe him capable of doing it).

I would say that the difference in female and male behavior is a social one and not a biological one, although i'm not discrediting that biology might be a factor. But society more than jails the animal, it tames it so I believe it takes precedence.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Project Eternity sure brought a lot of interesting people here.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But... But...

*singing*
What happened to Miss Independent?
No longer need to be defensive

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Nonsense. The person making the judgement decides if it is a value judgement. You cannot simply graft that motive onto someone. You can accuse them of lying, but that's about it.

Nonsense. The person making the judgement decides if it is a value judgement. You cannot simply graft that motive onto someone. You can accuse them of lying, but that's about it.

sure you can... and yes you are. aristotle would look at a culture and observe that their innate qualities made them fit to be slaves. is decado and Gromnir who might make a value judgement, but aristotle were simply making observations.

*snort*

is same game that has been played for thousands o' years.

HA! Good Fun!

ps it should be easy to see how innate qualities invariably supports discrimination. the folks currently enjoying success in a given system is obviously gonna have those observable traits that makes them a success. duh. this also explains why those who don't have such traits is being discriminated against.  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just as God intended.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I liked it more when they were stuck in PE forums. >_<

Wow..  Okay, I'll slide back to the PoE forum to keep the status quo -- equal but separate.   :(

...equal but seperate?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

:biggrin:   I guess nobody sensed even a little faux with me using the words 'equal but separate' in a thread about discrimination?  Sarcasm and the internet.

Also, see page 17 of this thread:

Bruce - I think separate but equal is inherently unequal.

I guess that clears that up (hopefully).  :)

Edited by SqueakyCat
  • Like 5

:biggrin:   I guess nobody sensed even a little faux with me using the words 'equal but separate' in a thread about discrimination?  Sarcasm and the internet.

But don't you need a safe place? Someone could get down on you for being too squeaky.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Should this thread be ported over to the funny things thread?

Edit: Personally i've not had such a chuckle in quite a while.

Nonek I'm surprised you think this topic is a joke. For me and many others we take it very seriously

I'm going to be posting a much more detailed post asking you a few questions, this is to continue our previous discussion where you said that white, heterosexual sexual males are equally discriminated against compared to other minority groups

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But don't you need a safe place? Someone could get down on you for being too squeaky.

Just because Squeakymeister doesn't feel the need for a safe place as a lady gamer  this  doesn't make the objective of providing one for lady gamers, if required,  less relevant

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Squeakymeister the reality around this safe zone is it is a place where only lady gamers can be active. So yes in that respect its "unequal". But I think most people understand this is due to the circumstances and have no issue with that

John Milton 

If a certain political idea or movement need to have 'safe place' to flourish, it really means that it needs a quiet oasis where it can go into extinction in peace.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This thread is getting quite long in the tooth. So, closed.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: