Female gamers having a hard time in gaming communites

:blink:

Sometimes is difficult to keep up with the train of thought in these threads and apparently only romance threads are immune to derailing.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sometimes is difficult to keep up with the train of thought in these threads and apparently only romance threads are immune to derailing.

:lol:

Indeed, people know not to derail important threads Orog

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Deviants can't be swayed.

• Like 9

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

at bsn, regardless of how they start, all romance threads that survive more than 5ish pages become ghey romance threads. additionally, there is a kinda critical mass for romance threads-- can't go an entire page of threads w/o at least one romance thread. dunno if obsidian has insufficient posters to test if such phenomena is universal or limited to bsn.  

regardless, am thinking that as to issue o' female posters and obsidian boards, it is a question o' obsidian games more than anything. folks come for the games, then maybe they stay for the after-dinner conversation.  sadly, there ain't been many/any obsidian games to attract new women posters, and one o' the few popular games obsidian has had in the past five years, were directing folks to the bethesda boards.... 'cause, as Gromnir has pointed out numerous times in the past, the main purpose o' the boards to developers/publishers is the cheap advertising they provide.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Romance threads can't be derailed because they begin life as derails.

• Like 1

Girls* don't like these boards because:

1) Most people here have aspergian and systematic, dry discussion about game systems, role-playing and the Ukraine. Thus no attention is given to them.

2) Since the flow of information here is in the same character as of a turing machine spewing out data, there is no little to no drama. Girls do not like that

*Girls as in most women in society. The very few women that actually post here are so neutral that no one knows their gender.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Romance threads can't be derailed because they begin life as derails.

You know I've always found most of your humour hilarious :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Girls* don't like these boards because:

1) Most people here have aspergian and systematic, dry discussion about game systems, role-playing and the Ukraine. Thus no attention is given to them.

2) Since the flow of information here is in the same character as of a turing machine spewing out data, there is no little to no drama. Girls do not like that

*Girls as in most women in society. The very few women that actually post here are so neutral that no one knows their gender.

Actually I think we need a community census, I'm finding that a lot of people I thought were girls turn out to be dudes. Lady Crimson is a girl right?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Haven't seen her in a looooooooong while though....

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

So, vaginas exist. That's a thing. Right?

Sounds sexist, immature and ironical - thats why we dont see more vaginas around

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Sorry.

Edit: In general I agree with Ms Lightfoot however, isolation and preferential treatment do not create a harmonious melange. If there are womens group then for parities sake there should be a simlar group for the other gender, though personally I would say both are harmful to creating a successful mixed virtual society.

No.

See, what you're not understanding here is that (assuming you are male yourself) men already predominate.

What is ensured through 'safe spaces' is that there is a place outside of that for people to feel safe.

(The same applies to LGBTQIA groups, or in other circumstances to non-white individuals. It's not about "special clubs", it's about being protected from the abuses and threats that society in general poses.)

You don't need a club of your own.Yo

You need to change your behaviour, and that of fellow men, so that people don't feel the need to have a separate safe space.

Seriously, the response to "These people don't feel safe in the world at large" should not be "BUT HOW COME THEY GET-".

It should be working out why they feel that way and then trying to fix the flaws in the system.

(& once you've done that, I think you'll find you will get a "successful mixed virtual society". As well as a much happier and friendlier one, I reckon. Diminished bigotry and abuse benefits everyone, since it shows there's no tolerance for that sort of obnoxious harmful behaviour in the community.)

(As a disclaimer, I'm a white cis male that likes women. So I'm pretty much the archetype of the privileged gamer myself.)

• Like 2

SJWs need a safe space here.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guys I am happy to tell anyone who wants to know my reasons why there are almost no ladies on these forums. But don't ask unless you want to know because I'm going to be honest :)

John Milton 

I want to request a group for normal males that don't talk about "feelings", "sensitivities", "gay rights", "special treatment for women or gays in video gaming" and all that post-modern ridiculous meaningless tiresome bull ****. I just want to play with people that aren't compelled to repeat this **** all the time like a mantra. Can that StarCitizen or whatever it is make a group for people like me or are they just another bunch of aggressive gays and feminists that place gays and women above hetero men?

I just want a place to relax and chat without being constantly ambushed and harassed by feminists and gay rights activists. Can they do that? I bet they can't.

The West is so decaying...

You come off as rather.. hm.. how do I put this in such a way that my post gets "approved" by an unknown moderator...

Uhh... narrow-minded, hateful, and opposed to cultural progress and the treatment of fellow people as equals.

Unless your post was sarcastic, but I have the unfortunate feeling that it was not.

It's nothing to do with special treatment and everything to do with not receiving abuse such as rape/death threats and harassment and general disgusting nasty behaviour from the likes of players that I doubt are very far from yourself.

If you really think that being respectful and inclusive and promoting equality and.. not being awful reprehensible streaks of urine towards one another is somehow ruining your life, you probably have bigger problems.

Maybe anger management or confronting deep-seated prejudices could do you good.

• Like 1

You need to change your behaviour, and that of fellow men, so that people don't feel the need to have a separate safe space.

So, with this kind of tone, do you really believe that you're going to achieve anything? Because quite honestly, I think you'll achieve exactly the opposite. By generalizing and finger pointing, you turn off rational people who might otherwise actually listen to what you have to say. Just a word of advice.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

So, with this kind of tone, do you really believe that you're going to achieve anything? Because quite honestly, I think you'll achieve exactly the opposite. By generalizing and finger pointing, you turn off rational people who might otherwise actually listen to what you have to say. Just a word of advice.

No you won't get through to someone like Bester by being nice. Either he thinks its funny to troll and be utterly dismissive of serious issues of social justice or he is being serious. Either way I don't care what he thinks. And SusurrusParadox is right, its exactly attitudes like Besters that lady gamers want there own space and frankly can you blame them

• Like 1

John Milton 

232001_640.jpg

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I feel offended by this thread. Can I have my own space here? something like middle aged male white heterosexual minority subsection?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I feel offended by this thread. Can I have my own space here? something like middle aged male white heterosexual minority subsection?

Funny enough, IMO, thats one of the biggest issues with the lack of empathy from certain sectors in society and many people on these forums. They don't care about issues of social justice because they are white heterosexual males and have never been victims of bigotry and discrimination so they don't bother to try to understand it.

• Like 1

John Milton 

Guys I am happy to tell anyone who wants to know my reasons why there are almost no ladies on these forums. But don't ask unless you want to know because I'm going to be honest :)

Are you always this cowardly ?

Guys I am happy to tell anyone who wants to know my reasons why there are almost no ladies on these forums. But don't ask unless you want to know because I'm going to be honest  :)

Out with it, you tease :p

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Sorry.

Edit: In general I agree with Ms Lightfoot however, isolation and preferential treatment do not create a harmonious melange. If there are womens group then for parities sake there should be a simlar group for the other gender, though personally I would say both are harmful to creating a successful mixed virtual society.

No I don't need a club of my own and neither do women, artificial seperation achieves nothing but one group having preferential treatment because of their gender, it feeds and adds to the problem it is trying to tackle. As for changing my behaviour, I am nothing but polite and civil to any and everybody, and always have been. Changing others behaviour, that is most certainly not my responsibility but their own, and the site they are upon if in a virtual construct such as this.

• Like 7

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!