from my experience Hacking and Lockpicking are very useful, so go with a class that has high dexterity and wit. don't go Nosferatu or Malkavian. nosferatu is so hideous you'll have a hard time walking around the city (80% of your activity in the game), and malkavian has all his dialogue options switched with lines of crazy talk in very hard to read font (same lines as with every other class, though, just camouflaged), can be very annoying.

seduction and persuasion are useful (extra money and less hassle in some instances), but unless you go Toreador that has charisma coming out of his butt, I'm not sure investing in them is that useful. 

sneaking is cool, I have yet to take full advantage of it (dexterity again) but it has potential. and definitely invest into combat feats, you'll be fighting a lot in the first few quests. you'll get a pretty cool melee weapon early on too, so don't bother buying anything when you begin. 

what I have trouble with is leaving the damn Santa Monica area, I want to go to Downtown LA! but can't figure out how

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Guest Slinky

fwhat I have trouble with is leaving the damn Santa Monica area, I want to go to Downtown LA! but can't figure out how

Taxi next the Asylum.

oh, so I assume since there isn't one, I'm stuck in this crapper for now

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

great... I'm in the creepy hotel now, getting hit with various flying objects, I hope that's the last errand I have to run for them

Walsingham said:

feck...  :facepalm: ok, if I survive the hotel I hope there's a line of dialogue that lets me stick it to the "sisters"

Walsingham said:

I've just installed this, which mod(s) should I use and are there any builds I should avoid?

Don't make non-combat builds. 

Yeah, pretty much this. Or alternatively pick a clan that has Celerity and faceroll ALL the things.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

the more I play the more I realize the biggest problem with this game is its engine. Source just wasn't meant for such games, unless you're a Valve engineer (another good example of this: E.Y.E.: DC)

I am getting sick of being stuck in doors, paper clippings on the floor etc. makes walking about a nightmare... I wish this game was made in ToEE's engine: turn-based, with prerendered backgrounds and isometric.

in other news, my Malk finally made it to the warehouse as per Mercurio's orders. I can see that there's no way out of here until I finish the job, guess now is as good a time as any to learn stealth. good thing I have ~10 spare XP to distribute in case I desperately need to boost a stat.

Walsingham said:

On the plus side, they did make great use of the facial animation system.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Stealth without obfuscate is impossible in many areas, shadows aren't everywhere and the AI is far less forgiving when it comes to stance than more recent games, they have a wide range of view and the light metre has to be pretty low. The game is designed that way because of obfuscate and trance would be a lot less useful if stealth was easier, also I think all vampires are meant to have a element of stealth. If you put points in stealth and dexterity it doesn't take much for you to be invisible in the dark when crouched. A lot of the gameplay is based on the original Deus Ex, that game also had unforgiving stealth. The lighting system is a little bugged, like Deus Ex, sometimes areas that look dark are light and vice versa.

Well, the only quest I gave up on without Obfuscate was the one where you had to hide the webcams in the flat. There were a bunch of others that were kinda hard (the museum, the parking lot and the theatre come to mind), but not impossible.

the more I play the more I realize the biggest problem with this game is its engine. Source just wasn't meant for such games, unless you're a Valve engineer (another good example of this: E.Y.E.: DC)

Eh, EYE mostly suffered from badly explained overly complex mechanics resulting in a learning cliff that made EVE Online seem like Tetris in comparison.

I am getting sick of being stuck in doors, paper clippings on the floor etc. makes walking about a nightmare... I wish this game was made in ToEE's engine: turn-based, with prerendered backgrounds and isometric.

Never really noticed the problems you mention, but I avoided open combat if at all possible. I mean, I remember combat being clunky, but not getting stuck in doors... :)

And personally I don't think seduction is that useful.

This can't be stressed enough. Grabbing some poor SOB in a back alley is ridiculously easy, no reason to waste points on making it even easier.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

but but but, with seduction you can do it in the open without breaking Masquerade  ;(

Walsingham said:

Well, the only quest I gave up on without Obfuscate was the one where you had to hide the webcams in the flat. There were a bunch of others that were kinda hard (the museum, the parking lot and the theatre come to mind), but not impossible.

When I say impossible, that's not strictly true because trance can also work for some parts, but beyond that it is. Even if you spend an insane amount of time on the museum, which has a fully lit area, bringing the crossbow to take out the cameras (or using trance and taking out both guards in the camera room), the final part involves a fully lit corridor where there's a guard standing there looking straight down it, you have to either use obfuscate or an ability like trance on him to stealth past him. I didn't find the theatre or the flat hard without obfuscate or trance, although the flat took a long time because the AI can take a while to move to the right positions. The temple has 4 fully lit tiny rooms with 2 guards in each, you can't trance your way through that, you have to use obfuscate for that. To get the briefcase and stay in stealth in the car park without obfuscate requires trance. There's also the blood hunt and the abandoned hotel, where you're facing vampires with auspex, I don't think you can stealth your way through them without obfuscate.

I can't say I agree, but then I still remember how excited I was to play a Source game at the time (it was released the same day as HL2).  It was buggy to the point of unplayable, unfortunately.  So maybe you're right after all, lol. 

I played the first time through as Malkavian.  I was disappointed when I did a replay with another character and realized that every class didn't have a unique dialogue option. 

Edited by Helz

Wow one of the side quests had me fight with a Chinese katana wielding vampire. He wiped the floor with me. I eventually managed to cheese it but I realized I really needed to up my combat stats

Walsingham said:

A quick tip: the key to the melee combat in Bloodlines is to button mash the directional keys with every attack. Troika's shaky attempt at "deep" action melee combat, you see.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I played Bloodlines about 4  years ago so I cant give much relevant or updated advice but I do remember the various vampire women from the clans being smoking hot :sweat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A quick tip: the key to the melee combat in Bloodlines is to button mash the directional keys with every attack. Troika's shaky attempt at "deep" action melee combat, you see.

the way I did it was to abuse the regular unarmed attack. the way it works you get a knockdown every third hit, and it doesn't matter if you landed the previous two, you only need to connect on that third one. so I would just time my attack right, when the boss approached I'd start mashing that left mouse button, and if I hit, he would go spinning in the air, I would then time it so that third hit would get him as soon as he stood up, effectively paralyzing him. takes very long but is pretty much fail-safe

Walsingham said:

Chinese katana 

[nerdrage intesifies]

I should've been more clear: Chinese vampire with a katana

Walsingham said: