actually, I read a Let's Play of Bloodlines 10 years ago. so I used to know every secret and plot twist there was. I just forgot it all, but I don't care about teh spoilers, it's not about the story for me. it's about the adventure

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I've always felt the difference in a Malkavian playthrough to be overstated. Rare is the actual encounter which actually plays out differently, usually either you get one extra line of dialogue from the NPC basically saying "hey you must be a Malk" then have the rest of the dialogue proceed as per any other clan; or it's ignored altogether.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I've always felt the difference in a Malkavian playthrough to be overstated. Rare is the actual encounter which actually plays out differently, usually either you get one extra line of dialogue from the NPC basically saying "hey you must be a Malk" then have the rest of the dialogue proceed as per any other clan; or it's ignored altogether.

Apart from the incoherent ramblings that are your dialogue choices. You're like the thin blood Malk at the beach, speaking in riddles about the future.

Yeah, but those always felt like simple line-for-line replacements for the normal dialogue in most cases, the NPCs generally don't react to them. That said, I played Malk first up, and only did 1.5 chapters on my subsequent non-Malk playthrough, so it's not a comprehensive analysis.

I'm not using it as a criticism as such, it's probably as far as they could go without creating a wholly separate campaign for each clan - but I've always considered it more jokey than insightful, and am fine with that.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

so far the game has been very combat heavy and kind of confusing at times. I already see I made a bunch of bad calls during my char creation, I definitely should've grabbed hacking instead of flippin' research, because laptops are just everywhere and passwords are nowhere to be found.

with firearms at 3/5 I can't hit a barn door at 50 feet, which is pretty disappointing, hopefully it'll get better. 

it's all very similar to Deus Ex: HR in terms of gameplay. only stealth kills don't work for me for some reason. maybe I shouldn't have gone with Toreador 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Toreador has Celerity I believe, which makes gunplay trivial. I remember gunning down a sidequest boss within the duration of one usage of the skill - which was long enough to empty my fully loaded pistol and then some.

For what it's worth, I think I played just about the whole game as a stealther (the pistol thing was my second, aborted playthrough), and it was mostly viable.

P.S. Yeah, standard combat-heavy tutorial, I always skipped it after the first time, though I can't remember if that was a mod feature.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I agree but mostly because I went in hyped about the Malkavian playthrough and expected something more, but considering how different the dialog options are I would still recommend a regular playthrough first...and then wait a while... and do another...with another character....and do one more.....**** it i'm playing it again.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

so far the game has been very combat heavy and kind of confusing at times. I already see I made a bunch of bad calls during my char creation, I definitely should've grabbed hacking instead of flippin' research, because laptops are just everywhere and passwords are nowhere to be found.

Ooofff... well you've ran into one of Bloodline's many foibles. Evidence #1 that Troika in the rush to get the game out and did not put enough thought into the mechanics: The Research stat would never ever pay for itself.

Never was an enormous fan of the gunplay of the game and universally opted for a melee-oriented character. About the only place guns were "nice to have" was the aforementioned sewer level. Otherwise there wasn't any encounter that couldn't be solved by Celerity and a Katana.

Stats to pay attention to:

Hacking

Lockpicking

Brawl (makes it easier to get back health by feeding when you get into a tight spot)

Melee

Persuasion

Seduction (if you're big on role-playing)

Bargaining (or whatever it was called)

Defense

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Well back to the drawing board

Walsingham said:

The Malkavian clan's greatest strength is their incredible flexibility. Dementation is good for both instakilling mooks and persuasion, while Obfuscate makes stealth ridiculously easy. As far as I'm aware, no other clan has this mix of stealth, raw killing power and social utility.

Re: Cab driver,

the devs implemented him from a VtM supplement somewhere (probably LA by night), he's just a Malkavian with a delusion of being Caine.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Yeah, but those always felt like simple line-for-line replacements for the normal dialogue in most cases, the NPCs generally don't react to them. That said, I played Malk first up, and only did 1.5 chapters on my subsequent non-Malk playthrough, so it's not a comprehensive analysis.

I'm not using it as a criticism as such, it's probably as far as they could go without creating a wholly separate campaign for each clan - but I've always considered it more jokey than insightful, and am fine with that.

Guess that depends. Sure generally the response is "Oh poor dear, you're so messed up!", but often you hear your character say stuff that (s)he couldn't possibly know yet. I mean, a Malkavian basically "spoils" bits of the ending when you're talk to the Seeress on the beach very early in chapter 1...

Also the (first) Malkavian conversation with Jeanette is a pretty big spoiler. I'm not sure if it keeps up this pace thoughout the game since I never made it very far past chapter one as Malkavian (I'm a wizard guy, so I tend to gravitate towards the Tremere and seriously, a katana wielding, stealthy, blood magic using vampire wizard, what's not to like?) but the spoilers early on made me very wary of ever recommending a Malkavian for a first playthrough. (though I'm pretty sure the "Omfg my character already knew that!" when figuring out the Jeanette thing afer totally having missed the references in earlier dialogue might be worth it), though I guess it'd only work for someone not aware that Malkavians can have insight into the future through their insanity (and as such might ignore/miss all the clues strewn through their conversations)

Edited by marelooke

seriously, a katana wielding, stealthy, blood magic using vampire wizard, what's not to like?

The fact that such a character concept would probably cause an aneurysm in any purist tabletop Vampire DM is also a considerable bonus   :yes:

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well back to the drawing board

Well think of it like Torment; The combat isn't great (or even good for that matter), so why not just invest in the stuff that unlocks the most content to you?

I should also add that stealth is also quite important in the early game, as many of the early quests favour that approach (and reward you with more experience points to boot).

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I can't grasp the whole stealth thing in this game yet. Which is mostly due to me not seeing enemies when crouching. One of my abilities Was supposed to highlight their aura but it doesn't.

I think I will go with a malkavian today and see how it plays out.

Walsingham said:

I can't grasp the whole stealth thing in this game yet. Which is mostly due to me not seeing enemies when crouching. One of my abilities Was supposed to highlight their aura but it doesn't.

I think I will go with a malkavian today and see how it plays out.

Malkavians are also fairly Stealth oriented (they also have Obfuscate, for example)

The thing is, I don't even remember using the Obfuscate abilities in my Malk playthrough. I don't know if it's my faulty recollection, but I'm reasonably confident that in the first chapter alone you can get your mundane stealth abilities easily high enough to get away with ridiculous things already - y'know, the crouching dead in front of someone in a vaguely darkish play and having them totally oblivious. I do remember the stealth tutorial being pretty tricky though, so I guess the skill ramps up pretty quickly, but it shouldn't take much to reach Bethesda-stealth levels of absurdity.

It's been a decade sure, but I'd probably say Deus Ex Human Revolution is the closest comparison to the game mechanically - down to the cheesy and improbable sneak takedowns and silly boss battles - with the magic invisibility cloak being strictly optional.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Stealth without obfuscate is impossible in many areas, shadows aren't everywhere and the AI is far less forgiving when it comes to stance than more recent games, they have a wide range of view and the light metre has to be pretty low. The game is designed that way because of obfuscate and trance would be a lot less useful if stealth was easier, also I think all vampires are meant to have a element of stealth. If you put points in stealth and dexterity it doesn't take much for you to be invisible in the dark when crouched. A lot of the gameplay is based on the original Deus Ex, that game also had unforgiving stealth. The lighting system is a little bugged, like Deus Ex, sometimes areas that look dark are light and vice versa.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot
  • Like 1

Good old times... *sigh*

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

btw, I know that Jeanette and her sister are actually the same person. it's pretty obvious the first time you meet both of them in the Asylum

Walsingham said:

I've just installed this, which mod(s) should I use and are there any builds I should avoid?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands