I noticed we didn't have a thread for this game (or maybe I just *suck* at searching). I am installing the Steam version atm and was hoping people here could give me advice on what unofficial patches to install, if any, what mods to run it with, if any etc.

and general game tips are more than welcome  :sorcerer:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There are those who believe the "unofficial" patch (which last time I played it was in its ~version 6.0 iteration) to be too much of a deviation of the developer's original vision and intent, though that didn't bother me and the additional content seemed to mesh quite seamlessly with the rest of the game (coming from someone who played it in its original, bugged out the ass form at launch).

Also, if you're a "min-maxing munchkin" like me, I would recommend you do away with any attempt to make a totally balanced character at the start and dump all points in any one category into a single stat or feat since it takes more and more points to level up those stats in the game proper.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

ok, when I do find that unofficial patch, do you know if Steam will try to revert the installation back to its original state at restart? will the patch even work with a Steam version?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

When I rebought it on Steam and installed the patch, I had zero problems with Steam doing this. Though I do not know if it would if you decided to have it manually check the integrity of the cache file.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Vanilla 1.2 is playable if you don't run into some technical issues. I recommend Wesp's Unofficial Patch Basic, it fixes a few bugs, adds a little content, balances the game a bit, most importantly it adds widescreen support and fixes some big technical issues. Wesp's Unofficial Patch Plus adds a lot of content, changes the balance of the game a lot. There's a companion mod that lets you gain a companion (childe) and adds quests.

Nosferatu (Nos) and malkavian (Malk) are clans that are the most interesting but also the hardest to play, they have downsides that fit the lore and you won't appreciate quite as much unless you play them first, but most people recommend not playing them first because you miss content and again, they're harder to play.

Bloodlines is definitely in my top 2 games, maybe my favourite game.

p.s. the patch says this but I'll repeat, turn off auto-update in the game properties page in Steam, otherwise it'll wipe the unofficial patch. The unofficial patch is hosted at patches-scrolls. The creator of the unofficial patch posts updates at Planet-Vampire.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Guest Slinky

You should check this site out, it has info about unofficial patches and technical issues you might get.

Never tried the True Patch, it's website looks a bit dodgy, but I very much recommend the Unofficial Patch.

Edited by Slinky

ok, looks like I'll have to play the game at least twice: with Basic and Plus

thanks for all your suggestions, team ;)

EDIT: turns out the game doesn't even work on a 64-bit system w/o the unofficial patch  :lol:

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

The game uses an obsolete Windows API call to determine the amount of memory available. You don't necessarily need Wesp's patch to fix it, Wesp incorporated another very small patch amongst a few others, it only takes a little hex editing to fix it without any patches.

and general game tips are more than welcome  :sorcerer:

Bloodlines is very flexible about how you can approach most quests (It's usually at it's best when you take the non-violent route)  but you will actually need to have some combat oriented levelling and decent gear to finish the game. 

Edited by Serrano

sweet! so much info :)

I was having trouble with the patch download, the official links are terrible with their servers. a high speed download can be found here: http://www.planetvampire.com/forum/index.php?topic=6428.0

Walsingham said:

really tempted to make a super-strong Nosferatu  :mellow: wonder how it will go... I guess I could always restart. or will I miss out on too much content?

Walsingham said:

Guest Slinky

really tempted to make a super-strong Nosferatu  :mellow: wonder how it will go... I guess I could always restart. or will I miss out on too much content?

Don't even think about it, you'll miss out on many many quests and dialogue since you really can't show your face anywhere. I wouldn't recommend malkavian either for first playthrough but after that definently, malks dialogue is hilarious!

gotcha, Nosferatu - second playthrough salute.gif

Walsingham said:

I actually only finished as a Malkavian, it was simply too entertaining to stop.  Might not be best for the first playthrough, it's almost like playing a movie with the director's commentary.  

I must say that I really miss this feature in other games - the option to turn the game into a comedy of sorts. Other RPGs sometimes offer you funny dialogue, yes, but usually there are repercussions to it, or it doesn't work because the overall tone of the game is still too serious.

Playing as a Malkavian completely changes the experience while still making perfect sense in a way. I really, really liked that.

Apart from that... I liked VtM: Bloodlines, but soon after arriving in Chinatown it became too suspenseful for me, I'm ashamed to admit. I mean, I like the atmosphere very much, but the haunted hotel was already almost too much for me, and then the whole business with the snuff videos and those strange abominations started... that was just too much "nope" for me. What can I say, I'm a wuss. :D

So I watched the rest of the game as a Let's Play. (It had only cost me 5 euros anyway and the beginning more than made up for that expense, so I didn't mind not being able to finish it. I still loved the rest of the story, and especially the ending!)

• Like 1

I never did finish the Nosferatu I created...should go back to that someday.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I can't believe no one has offered the most important advice yet:
" Do Not Open It"

• Like 6
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

For the general interest there's also PC Gamer - Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines which has some of the bumf about the community patch and getting things working, along with http://www.moddb.com/games/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/addons where you can find various additions to tweak the graphics and such.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hey guys, I hear that the cab driver is proven undeniably to be Cain!

(Don't play either Malkavian or Nosferatu on the first play through, unless you're sure you'll play once in which case Malkavian is OK. Apart from arguing with TV anchors and Stop signs the Malkav quite obviously knows what is going on, and is more entertaining if you know what is going on as well)

Hey guys, I hear that the cab driver is proven undeniably to be Cain!

(Don't play either Malkavian or Nosferatu on the first play through, unless you're sure you'll play once in which case Malkavian is OK. Apart from arguing with TV anchors and Stop signs the Malkav quite obviously knows what is going on, and is more entertaining if you know what is going on as well)

His first appearance coincides with the time that the

I would feel bad if I gave away something

is opened and if you check his aura you can tell that he is undead. Also he's on the ending sequence.

There is also my favorite conspiracy about the messages and how is actually Grout who leaves them...which makes perfect sense when you're roleplaying as a Malkavian.

I must go; the voices are calling me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif