Shadowrun Returns on sale, Steam

Shadowrun Returns is on sale for the price of a beer.

Should I buy the game, or a beer?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just bought the expansion in this sale. And the vanilla campaign at least merits a playthrough or two - treat it as one long tutorial quest line. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Thanks for the advice. I'm buying it now.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just bought the expansion in this sale. And the vanilla campaign at least merits a playthrough or two - treat it as one long tutorial quest line. :)

I was going to write something... but I doubt I can put it better and more succintly.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So wait the expansion is good? Hmm, wasn't really thrilled with the main game. Also the save system is annoying as hell.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

vanilla campaign is meh by Obsidian standards. no replayability value, most you'll get out of it is two playthroughs.

expansion - no idea, and at 30% off is not worth the risk. unless someone here can say if it's: as long as the main campaign, has better C&C, is stand-alone

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I don't know what "C&C" means, but it's definitely stand alone and it's about as long as the main campaign. It can be quite a bit longer if you try to do everything since it's not as linear. In general, the expansion is just better in every way -- the characters are more developed, you have more choices about how you accomplish objectives, there are manual saves, etc.

The new campaign is superior in every way to the old. I'd pick it up if you have the money or the time.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't know what "C&C" means, but it's definitely stand alone and it's about as long as the main campaign. It can be quite a bit longer if you try to do everything since it's not as linear. In general, the expansion is just better in every way -- the characters are more developed, you have more choices about how you accomplish objectives, there are manual saves, etc.

Generally it means 'Choice & Consequences' ; *(unless you are a die-hard Westwood Studios fan; and I should know).  ;)

Edited by Gizmo

vanilla campaign is meh by Obsidian standards. no replayability value, most you'll get out of it is two playthroughs.

expansion - no idea, and at 30% off is not worth the risk. unless someone here can say if it's: as long as the main campaign, has better C&C, is stand-alone

It's longer than Dead Man's Switch. It has *some* actual C&C, slightly better gameplay, squadmates now have personalities—it's just better all around. The engine was patched to feature a "save anywhere" function that applies to DMS as well. It's standalone in the sense that both campaigns are unrelated (one takes place in Seattle, the other in Berlin), but you need the base game to run the expansion. I bought it for full price (~11€, and being the cheap bastard that I am, I never do that) and I'd say it was worth every penny eurocent.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is that HBS are unlikely to release further expansions.

edited for localization

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

oh man, you're almost making me go and buy it, but it's still above 10 bucks, which I almost never pay for a game, being a student and all...  :alienani:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I regret paying that much Humanoid. But being a teetotaller myself at least I know that other people waste as much on alcohol instead of supporting creativity :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Guest Slinky

I regret paying that much Humanoid. But being a teetotaller myself at least I know that other people waste as much on alcohol instead of supporting creativity :)

Tell that to many artists and writers and such. Hey even I might get the idea of peeing my name on snow while being uplifted with a bottle of extra creativity.

I don't have a problem telling them :)

It is a shame if people need to be under influence to create.

But I have very specific people in mind with the comment you quoted. I have no understanding whatsoever for those who see getting extremly drunk as the only viable way of having fun.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I drink like a fish and I still gave too much

I think it all turned out fine in the end with Dragonfall but I was disappointed with some of the things that happened in development (Steam only, switching engines, dropping standard features) and also with the initial release of DMS (very linear and short). I still enjoyed DMS but it did not meet my expectations by any stretch

I'd still be willing to make a deal with the devil to get Obsidian to do a SR campaign

Free games updated 3/4/21

but in Gamebryo. i can't stand that engine HBS are using

Walsingham said:

Steam only

What do you mean? I got it from GOG. I avoid Steam whenever I can.

Could be worse, like Unity.

I can't tell if you're being facetious... but SR uses the Unity engine.

Edited by 213374U

Yeah, they eventually decided to spread the love around after the backlash they got when they announced Steam only ...and Microsoft graciously allowed them to do so

Steam only

What do you mean? I got it from GOG. I avoid Steam whenever I can.

Could be worse, like Unity.

I can't tell if you're being facetious... but SR uses the Unity engine.

Yeah, they switched to Unity from Moai at some point in development 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21