Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #77: Art in Alpha

Art Environment Art Character Art Armor Anslogs Compass Hall of Warriors Cliaban Rilag

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

Our "high fantasy" armor is more like Elmore/Parkinson stuff (well, not like their women, who often wore little of anything).  Mostly realistic, but with some features exaggerated.  Due to the size of characters, we have to exaggerate some elements or they just disappear.  E.g. the scales on the scale armor are pretty large and the same is true for the rings on our mail.  We tried doing strictly realistic proportions at first and it didn't read well at all.  The sizes we use now look a little oversized in inventory but read nicely in the game world.  We were consciously trying to capture a late 80s-late 90s AD&D aesthetic with a lot of the pieces.

• Monte Carlo, sesobebo, Azrayel and 17 others like this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7710 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

what an odd dichotomy? had never considered toliken illustrators to be a specific genre. similarly, lumping erol otus and tony diterlizzi together with larry elmore and jeff easley would seem to be a bit o' an over-generalization.

HA! Good Fun!

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5517 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Mostly realistic, but with some features exaggerated.  Due to the size of characters, we have to exaggerate some elements or they just disappear.  E.g. the scales on the scale armor are pretty large and the same is true for the rings on our mail.  We tried doing strictly realistic proportions at first and it didn't read well at all.  The sizes we use now look a little oversized in inventory but read nicely in the game world.  We were consciously trying to capture a late 80s-late 90s AD&D aesthetic with a lot of the pieces.

Great choice of aesthetics, if you ask me!

And this perhaps also explains the overly shiny armours. Because of the small size of the characters, it needs more than occasional glints among grimy dirt to convey that it is plate mail or whatever. I see.

• rjshae, AndreaColombo, Silent Winter and 2 others like this

FreeMayk

FreeMayk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Steam:FreeMayk
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Good job. All looks so beautiful!

But now i wonder about animation? 

Clocks need to be animated like in ToEE, in other case, all characters will be static like in most cRPG...

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1898 posts

@Endrosz

I was thinking more in the direction of BG2. Specifically the illustration of said armors, with the tech today it seems like such a missed opportunity not to bring to life those kind of armors.

Here are the sketches to refresh your memory.

http://www.gamebansh...ateii/armor.php

Edited by Sarex, 30 April 2014 - 11:57 AM.

Skie Nightfall

Skie Nightfall

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Stuning! :)

Gallenger

Gallenger

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Very pleased - wonderful work and they're not even done yet?  Color me excited - some more. 

Pipyui

Pipyui

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The beach and dungeon scenes both look fantastic.  I have to wonder who builds a shack right on the very edge of the water (and how that shack remains perfectly dry. Maybe it hasn't been painted yet? I'd like to see some water stains), but stunning work nonetheless.

My itch to go exploring these environs contrasts sharply with the reality that I'm sitting alone in an apartment in the city.  You Obsidian guys keep doing your good work, and I'll keep reflecting on how illusory my escapism is.  Gods, but I'm a downer.

Can't wait to see these scenes in motion!

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

StrangeCat

StrangeCat

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Artwork looks fantastic!  I love the Sea Shore Picture.  I look forward to seeing that Sea in motion with the waves crashing into shore and see gulls calling in the background.  I want to see Crashed ships on the shore and Towers off in a distance through the fog.

Edited by StrangeCat, 30 April 2014 - 01:29 PM.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

The beach and dungeon scenes both look fantastic.  I have to wonder who builds a shack right on the very edge of the water

Xaurips live life on the edge, literally and figuratively.

• nikolokolus, Azrayel, Suen and 7 others like this

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The beach and dungeon scenes both look fantastic.  I have to wonder who builds a shack right on the very edge of the water

Xaurips live life on the edge, literally and figuratively.

Xaurip cops don't play by the rules.

Any of them.

It's a very chaotic and not very efficient police force.

• BAdler, Azrayel, IndiraLightfoot and 4 others like this

nonfactor

nonfactor

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

SWEEET!!

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
EXTREME DWELLING!

FULL-CONTACT FATE-TEMPTING!

Xaurips are pretty... shore of themselves? *absorbs all the energy of the ensuing facepalms to bolster his immortality*
  • lolaldanee, Bryy, IndiraLightfoot and 5 others like this

Pipyui

Pipyui

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'll have you know I'm keeping this.

BAdler

BAdler

Game Director

• Developers+
  • -9926 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

EXTREME DWELLING!

Xaurips are pretty... shore of themselves? *absorbs all the energy of the ensuing facepalms to bolster his immortality*

I need to figure out this ban functionality. =p

• nikolokolus, WorstUsernameEver, lolaldanee and 9 others like this

constantine

constantine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Amazing.

PoE is gonna be the most visually pleasing of such games so far, also the art has its own identity.

You guys surpassed yourselves and more than met our expectations ! Congratulations on a job awesomely done !!

Whitefox789

Whitefox789

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Steam:Whitefox531
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Love the armor design however, I love the fact you guys allow us to change the cloth color as we were able to do in the BG series and the IWD series that alone just really shows how you want this to resemble an IE game and for that I say kudos to you guys.

I really want to get my hands on this game even more.

• AndreaColombo, Ineth, karelia and 1 other like this

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I agree about the tinting feature is really nice touch, I hope they give us more choices of color than the original IE games. I work in the multimedia industry and my monitor does billions of colors per inch, it would be a shame to have like 4-6 colors to choose from. I still wish the characters were like 10% taller, something about their proportions feel micro to me for some reason.

Azrayel

Azrayel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts

Red blue and green in that last picture were so atop each-other it just sort of clashed for me, like at first glance I thought it was a splice together of three separate images.

I'm sure the way it flows in game will be very different and I'm not aboard the Monochromatic train, so I shall reserve my judgement for now//but I'd just say the "modern" Glanfathan elf stuff seems to be very well-themed in pallet and texture.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

I'd have to agree with Gromnir about the boob scale armour.

When I read the update the first time, I don't know which I read or saw first. The words female armour or the boob scale. The first picture on the left is more noticeable than the one on the right. It looks odd seeing scale armour potrude out like that, with the scale armour going back in under the breast, like a tight fitting t-shirt. It looks like the armourer molded the scale links into this form. It makes it odd moreso that the plate armour doesn't have the boob cups protruding out. Just the scale.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Environment Art, Character Art, Armor, Anslogs Compass, Hall of Warriors, Cliaban Rilag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users