obyknven

Before Gary Gygax leave TSR and everything is doomed.

Initially Greyhawk must be coolest setting in AD&D ever. Actually all cool things in later TSR products is stolen content from Greyhawk (exept Dark Sun ). Planar travels from Planescape, strategic managment from Birthright, and many other things initially belongs to Greyhawk (but TSR want moar money - they dissolve one complex cool setting to few pathetic ones). In this thread i try restore original coolness of Greyhawk and post here unique insider information from original creators.

Wery important part of Greyhawk must be "Oriental Greyhawk" created by François Marcela-Froideval.Oerik.jpg

Description of most Western part of continent you easily can find in "Black Moon Chronicles", i don't repeat this information here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Moon_Chronicles

About  Dragons island just play Drakkhen game and read manuals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakkhen

True enigma is Orkreich, no info exist about this country... before this time. I cant post here all what i  known about this land (author has plans about this and asked me keep this in secret), but i can post here what inspired him. I give to you feeling of Orkreich.

Main source of inspiration for author is... Second Reich and anti-German propaganda from WW1.

efC6lhM.jpg

hes_watching_you.jpg

posterAustraliabloodyGermanApe1918.jpg

bloodthirsty_hun_cartoon.jpg

e188525a354623382de0f77e36182d4e.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 3

Man, old propaganda is weird.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Thank you Oby. I never would have made the connection between Gygax's Greyhawk and bad racial propaganda to dehumanize the Germans from WW1/2 had you not posted this.

That's our Oby. The Obsidian boards answer to the question no one asked!

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thank you Oby. I never would have made the connection between Gygax's Greyhawk and bad racial propaganda to dehumanize the Germans from WW1/2 had you not posted this.

Use term of dehumanization and racial propaganda is not correct here. Orks is not humans or race of humans.  Authors just need some world famous non-human archetype of brutal, militaristic culture as background (In these propaganda described not real Germans,  but people fantasies about non-human dangerous enemy).

Actually many games in this time use this stuff, orks  in Rogue trader and first edition WH40 looks same. But in this background  these brutal apes considered as good ones, it's some influence of counterculture where this stuff used for trolling of conformist society (biker's, heavy metal etc ).

P1250039.JPG

tn_120.JPG

In other words Orkreich is cool.

• Like 1

Modern recruitment posters need more barechested ladies.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Maybe, but they sure as **** aren't convincing me to sign up again with images of pickelhaube-clad mandrills. I mean, WTF?

(and the award for weirdest thread goes to...)

• Like 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Maybe, but they sure as **** aren't convincing me to sign up again with images of pickelhaube-clad mandrills. I mean, WTF?

(and the award for weirdest thread goes to...)

Mandrills are totally awesome.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Some sort of proof ;) . In 1983-1985 years Gary Gygax create Dungeon & Dragon animation TV series and Orcs there wear such spiked helmets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_(TV_series)

dungeons%252Bdragons%252Bcartoon%252Borc

TSR figures from 1982 year also.

OrcsOfSkeletonBone1a.jpg

But some people against this "German-styled" Orkreich, they even try replace country name to:

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.ru/2012/03/mapping-beyond-flanaess-eastern-suhfang.html

Please, though; I know a lot of people don't like Orcreich as a name. No need to harp on the fact that I used it. It's canon, I don't mind it, and I used it. Feel free to call it Darak Urtag or whatever you want in your own game.

Non-German names of tribes are wrong also. François Marcela-Froideval constantly use  German names, toponims  etc in Greyhawk, it's some sort of his Germanophilia .

http://anniceris.blogspot.ru/2013/03/exegeses-de-greyhawk-2-lynn-et-louest.html

Cette province des Dreamrifts a pour capitale Morgenstern. L'usage de noms germaniques, et non pas latins, sera constant. Quand Lynn sera intégré dans le monde de Greyhawk, il sera dit que les habitants de Lynn sont donc d'origine "oeridienne", l'équivalent germanophone, mais on voit aussi un territoire des Orques nommé "Orcreich". Un des sites de la carte s'appelle "le Val de Froy", en signature directe par l'auteur.

Anyway this butthurt from Orkreich is too laughable, i don't think this is serious reason to reject such cool stuff.

Always wondered what the rest of Oerth looked like, thank you for the map Mr Obyknven.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

• 1 month later...

4.jpg

Here's another weird post-WW I-poster, depicting a Bolshevik as an anarchistic troll or an ogre or an unusually hairy ghoul, carrying a bomb and a knife.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Can you imagine the fit that people would throw if they still used racist propaganda? Ah, the good old days.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

• 10 months later...