CVG Feargus Interview Life after South Park

C2B

I've always found RPGs to be pretty interesting from a standpoint that they just evolve with the times. Some genres just can't - flight simulators, RTSes, adventure games - but RPGs just figure out a way to keep on. I guess they're the ****roach genre, I don't know [laughs].

****roach genre? And a new phrase is coined today, ladies and gentlemen. Gotta love this guy! :)

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

One thing I picked up from that Feargus goes and mentions Brandon Sanderson specifically and few questions later he says "and potentially acquiring our own licenses."

Mistborn the RPG  game in the making, eh? ;)

Hate the living, love the dead.

I have an idea for Obsidian.  Offer to trade your in-house dialogue writing tool to Bethesda in exchange for the rights to do another Fallout game.  You get to make another great Fallout and they can potentially improve the weakest point in every game they make.  Win-win. 

Somebody else is already making a Mistborn game.

Warbreaker game could work, though, also very interesting magic system.

Ah, dammit. Unless it's one time deal only with the other company which I doubt.

Haven't read Warbreak so I have no idea how popular that series is, nor do I have any idea about magic system.

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

It was just getting hard to make games at Interplay, and we were worried that we were just going to show up one day and there would be a locked door.

I ... know the feeling. No locked doors, though, just no door at all.

Where I'd like us to be is we've made another big RPG, we're maybe working on another one. We're on Eternity 3 or 4. We've also branched into maybe other product lines - maybe there is both the isometric Eternity and a Skyrim-like Eternity. 

Oh ... my god, oh my god ohmygod ohmygod OH MY GOD 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

ManifestedISO: I know! That Skyrim-like Eternity certainly whets my appetite big time!! :w00t:

I really want to see Obsidian's huge talent for making CRPGs (along with their excellent writers) be inserted into a 3D game of that format. I'd love to see more RPG in it, though, like NWN2 (and MotB, especially). If that's their KS CRPG, I'm gonna swoon!!! :yes:

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

ManifestedISO: I know! That Skyrim-like Eternity certainly whets my appetite big time!! :w00t:

I really want to see Obsidian huge talent for making CRPGs (along with their excellent writers) be inserted into a 3D game of that format. I'd love to see more RPG in it, though, like NWN2 (and MotB, especially). If that's their KS CRPG, I'm gonna swoon!!! :yes:

F:NV?

Also he's most likely talking about a 2D Sandbox game.

I have an idea for Obsidian.  Offer to trade your in-house dialogue writing tool to Bethesda in exchange for the rights to do another Fallout game.  You get to make another great Fallout and they can potentially improve the weakest point in every game they make.  Win-win. 

Tools are only as good as the user.

• Like 1

I know, but with those 3D engines getting cheaper by the day, the sky is the limit. Imagine an Unreal-based Eternity, for instance! :)

I would still prefer 2D Art. So, I'm just the wrong person to ask here.

• Like 1

I know, but with those 3D engines getting cheaper by the day, the sky is the limit. Imagine an Unreal-based Eternity, for instance! :)

I would still prefer 2D Art. So, I'm just the wrong person to ask here.

I thought it was clear he wouldn't mind both ... an isometric 2D and a sandbox 3D ... different games but both in the Eternity universe. Anyway, it was just musing and conjecture, but still pretty exciting. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I've always found RPGs to be pretty interesting from a standpoint that they just evolve with the times. Some genres just can't - flight simulators, RTSes, adventure games - but RPGs just figure out a way to keep on. I guess they're the ****roach genre, I don't know [laughs].

****roach genre? And a new phrase is coined today, ladies and gentlemen. Gotta love this guy! :)

****roaches and Slam Dunks. That's Uncle Feargus for you.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Alternatively, trade some beads for the rights to another Fallout game.

Hasn't CryEngine 3 gone really cheap?

After seeing what Deliverance kingdom come is doing with that engine, I would kill to see an Obs game in it.

They're been working on Cryengine 3 for nearly two years. ;)

• Like 1

Hasn't CryEngine 3 gone really cheap?

After seeing what Deliverance kingdom come is doing with that engine, I would kill to see an Obs game in it.

They're been working on Cryengine 3 for nearly two years. ;)

Very true. :facepalm:

I'll put it this way, I would kill to see an Obs RPG in CryEngine. Even more so now that I've been reminded they have experience with it.

• Like 1
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Kickstarter project Pillars of Eternity is still growing behind the scenes, and another crowd-funding project - which Urquhart is indeed an RPG - is set to be revealed soon.

Having my fingers crossed for something a bit more unconventional rather than familiar (both mechanically and narratively)...

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."