What are you playing now

Was invaded again traversing to the Undead Purgatory. This time I had the Blue Sentinels watching my back and the two of us expunged him from my world. It was then I looked at the bottom right of my screen and saw this number:

I nearly spit out my drink when I saw this. I'm sitting at level 95 at the moment, and now thinking of what to do with all those souls for my Faith/Int/Dex build.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

How has the ease of cheating and the ramped up invasions mechanic playing out so far? 

Playing mostly as a hollow I haven't been invaded so far. Right now you don't have to worry if you want to play alone. I did only a little bit PVP for the Bell Keepers, so it's hard to say something about cheaters.

LOL. You do know that being hollow doesn't stop invasions? Hell even if you kill the boss(es) you can still get invaded. :skull:

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Just the ability to whack an enemy to pieces, then pick up one of those pieces and and throw it at the next enemy sold me the game. Just in how many other games you can do that? Where fast-paced spectacle fighters bore me to tears, I just love the sheer brutality of Severance.

Is it normal to giggle uncontrollably every time I see a severed head rolling down the stairs?

Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2 video game which is also from that period had decent sword fighting and dismemberment too, IIRC. And Drakan: Order of the Flame too, in fact.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Was invaded again traversing to the Undead Purgatory. This time I had the Blue Sentinels watching my back and the two of us expunged him from my world. It was then I looked at the bottom right of my screen and saw this number:

I nearly spit out my drink when I saw this. I'm sitting at level 95 at the moment, and now thinking of what to do with all those souls for my Faith/Int/Dex build.

Are the soul level experience progression rates about the same as they are in DS1? 238k makes me think a several hundred level character in terms of DS1...30-40k was about the range I got for killing characters 10% within my level in DS1, (SL100).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Last time my computer was working I was using a keyboard from the late 1980s. It is, in many ways, the tank of keyboards. I think it'd stop a bullet and still work.

That's why I bought a mechanical keyboard, except these are nowhere near the standards that IBM used to have.

These guys still make the original Model M (in the same factory) http://www.pckeyboard.com

I use one at work and still use my 1993 IBM Model M at home.

How well do those work to game on though (thinking Unreal Tournament and the likes)?

I've been considering a mechanical keyboard for a while (though probably not a Model M because the noise those make would make me rather unpopular at work. I used to have a colleague who had one and had to ask him to stop typing while I was on the phone with him because I couldn't understand a word he said. Also I prefer keyboards without slanted keys, much better ergonomically, though still fairly rare, alas)

Played Blackwell Epiphany over the weekend. It's as good as any of the other installments, perhaps better because of its puzzle design. I only got "stuck" twice over the game.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Last time my computer was working I was using a keyboard from the late 1980s. It is, in many ways, the tank of keyboards. I think it'd stop a bullet and still work.

That's why I bought a mechanical keyboard, except these are nowhere near the standards that IBM used to have.

These guys still make the original Model M (in the same factory) http://www.pckeyboard.com

I use one at work and still use my 1993 IBM Model M at home.

How well do those work to game on though (thinking Unreal Tournament and the likes)?

I've been considering a mechanical keyboard for a while (though probably not a Model M because the noise those make would make me rather unpopular at work. I used to have a colleague who had one and had to ask him to stop typing while I was on the phone with him because I couldn't understand a word he said. Also I prefer keyboards without slanted keys, much better ergonomically, though still fairly rare, alas)

Well I'm looking to buy one, used even, but I'd use it for typing and plug in my 6GV2 when I want to play something.

There are those in between Cherry MX switches like brown and red but there aren't any in Serbia so I never did have the opportunity to try them out. Here we only have the Razer and Steelseries keyboards, probably the bottom feeders of the mechanical keyboard world.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Interesting, because I feel the most common switch is actually the MX Brown since it's marketed as an all-rounder. I believe Logitech's mech keyboards use them, which probably makes them the most readily available option for browns.

Only properly used brown and black myself, at home and at work respectively, the latter further dampened with O-rings. I don't like the black, with or without the O-rings, but it's just a cheap Rosewill (Newegg's house brand) so not a big investment.

Really want to try out a Topre RealForce, but at about double the price of Cherry switch keyboards and being very hard to source locally, I've been reluctant to pull the trigger.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Are the soul level experience progression rates about the same as they are in DS1? 238k makes me think a several hundred level character in terms of DS1...30-40k was about the range I got for killing characters 10% within my level in DS1, (SL100).

Far less souls needed to lvl up in DS2. So that invader must have been very high level, the  blue sentinel probably as well otherwise he'd stance no chance.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

How has the ease of cheating and the ramped up invasions mechanic playing out so far? 

Playing mostly as a hollow I haven't been invaded so far. Right now you don't have to worry if you want to play alone. I did only a little bit PVP for the Bell Keepers, so it's hard to say something about cheaters.

LOL. You do know that being hollow doesn't stop invasions? Hell even if you kill the boss(es) you can still get invaded. :skull:

I know. Doesn't change anything that I haven't been invaded as a hollow so far after 26 hours into the game.

I played through Gone Home in a single sitting. It started off well but went downhill from there. For those who don't mind spoilers, the gist is this: girl comes home from a trip to find her parents and her little sister gone. So you look around the house to find out what happened. Her parents are typical middle class family, the father is going through a work crisis and the mother is having an affair with a co-worker. They're actually on an anniversary trip so their story ends up on a semi positive note. The little sister is a lesbian and the entire story revolves around her and her girlfriend with the typical "mom and dad don't understand me" crap so she runs away with her.

That's it. There is a little flirting with the occult but its irrelevant overall.

If it was a movie it would be a routine crappy drama you'd forget in an instant. Since its not a movie, its a crap game. But you're not really gaming since there are no puzzles, so its just crap. The story, the sole motivator is bland and banal. Its the type of game that critics love to wax lyrical about because it pretends at being significant and deep, when in fact its not.

Don't waste your time on this. 1/5 stars

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

How'd it start out well, out of curiosity? :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I know. Doesn't change anything that I haven't been invaded as a hollow so far after 26 hours into the game.

If PC is anything like PS3, invasions are going to be very rare in NG unless you're specifically going for them (doing stuff like going human while wearing the red string and also staying in the Covenant of Champions). You'll still get a taste here and there, but most of the invasion stuff and the weird honorable duels some people organize seem to be taking place in NG+ and beyond.

How'd it start out well, out of curiosity? :p

It starts out with the premise of a haunted house story and plays like it too, only there is no haunting or payoff for the tension.

Seems that the exponential rate to level up is a lot less this time around. At around 115 or so it takes about 16,000 to level up one. Also I was lead to believe only people who are either lower level are no more than a little above you were allowed to invade you, which is why there are PvP specific builds.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

There is no PVP specific builds because MM is broken. Soul Memory is the deciding factor and since no one know how exactly it works, you can get fcked easily.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

played wildstar over the weekend. we were too busy  (or perhaps we is too old) to do a marathon session, but we were still able to get a character to level 17. an extreme brief list o' pros and cons follows.

good

-we likes the aesthetic. 3d duck dodgers... with star wars influences. also, the notion o' playing a psychotic pink bunny with dinner plate sized eyes who wields psychic powers... appeals to us. 

- had assumed that the targeting would be off-putting, but actual combat were kinda intuitive. more important, combat was fun.

-we only scratched surface of the game, but there were an extreme variety o' environments and critters-- diversity were a plus

bad

-buggy. we had connection issues. freezes and weird ui nonsense that required us to /reloadui every 20 minutes or so.

-crafting is... weird. sure, we were more focused on leveling, but crafting is not intuitive.

- other than combat, much o' the game is non-intuitive. had no idea what/how were were 'posed to accomplish things via the ui and the in-game explanations were less than helpful at times.

-there were a gold cost that were attached to doing group missions-- seemed excessive. 

-subscription. am not gonna pay for 2 mmo subscriptions at same time. is a matter of principle, not money.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Think that one is going to go F2P in under a year. 

Got me an Amsel Striker in Call of Pripyat.  I'm partial to the Predator, personally, but it's highly unlikely I can get one of those before reaching Pripyat.  I'm as prepared as I can be for the journey through the underground, my favorite part of the game.  I've already begun assembling the team, just need to get Strider on board and then it's on.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So I got TW1+2 for like 5€ the other day in a GOG sale. Have downloaded TW1 but... can't be arsed to fire it up.

Help me, Obsidianites. You are my only hope!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So I got TW1+2 for like 5€ the other day in a GOG sale. Have downloaded TW1 but... can't be arsed to fire it up.

Start playing TW1.

Did that work ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished The Witcher - After 2 boring-me-to-tears chapters of droll fetch quests, spending most of the time running around from point A to B, it finally started getting good and ended up with a pretty satisfying. The combat still sucked a rusty fire hydrant, and I hate the inventory system amongst many other things, but ended up liking it well enough overall...

First you download the game.  This can easily be done through the GOG Downloader.  After that you install the game, you can even set up the downloader to automatically start the installation process when it finishes.  Once the installation process finishes there will be an option to launch the game.  Alternatively, you can go to your Start Menu, scroll down to the GOG.com folder, open it, scoll down to the game folder, open it, there will be a launcher in there.

Hopefully that helped.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks