RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Darkspawn are easily some of the least imaginative enemies ever devised.  They're basically copy & paste orcs and goblins, without being remotely as interesting as orcs or goblins.  At least with orcs and goblins there is potential for inter-tribe relations and intrigue and they have motivation beyond just "must kill everybody".  Darkspawn are just a blanket copout enemy that mindlessly kill everyone for no purpose other than to kill everyone.  With no semblance of personality and no complex motivation whatsoever they're set up as mindless pincushions for you to stab guilt-free.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

"They're basically copy & paste orcs and goblins, without being remotely as interesting as orcs or goblins.  At least with orcs and goblins there is potential for inter-tribe relations and intrigue and they have motivation beyond just "must kill everybody"."

No.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They were better in Awakenings, certainly, though better than the darkspawn in Origins ain't saying anything at all. As for whether that thread will be picked up, it seems unlikely given DAI's focus on demons, but who knows. Well, alanschu I guess...

Apart from Awakenings they were utterly generic Tolkienesque cliches though, right down to human/ dwarf -> hurlock/ genlock mirroring elf/ ent -> orc/ troll direct from Tolkien himself. They did their job as mooks to the slaughter but that's about the best that can be said of them.

• Like 2

"Apart from Awakenings they were utterly generic Tolkienesque cliches though, right down to human/ dwarf -> hurlock/ genlock mirroring elf/ ent -> orc/ troll direct from Tolkien himself. They did their job as mooks to the slaughter but that's about the best that can be said of them."

I disagree with this false ignorant assessment.

Man, you guys are so repetive that I have to be as well. You are wrong just like the otherrs. Zombies (stereotypical ones) aren't known for intelligence which the darkspawn do have. Any more jokers need to make up obviously bogus stuff that i can smack down? I have no time issues. I have at least 50 years barring an unseen  event to do this.

Darkspawn are easily some of the least imaginative enemies ever devised.  They're basically copy & paste orcs and goblins, without being remotely as interesting as orcs or goblins.  At least with orcs and goblins there is potential for inter-tribe relations and intrigue and they have motivation beyond just "must kill everybody".  Darkspawn are just a blanket copout enemy that mindlessly kill everyone for no purpose other than to kill everyone.  With no semblance of personality and no complex motivation whatsoever they're set up as mindless pincushions for you to stab guilt-free.

DA:O and DA2 darkspawn weren't very interesting. However in Awakenings it showed they could be, the Architect was one of bioware's best antagonists. To be honest I was hoping DA3 might have one as a companion, to flesh them out some more, but I guess they weren't pretty enough to make the cut. Or bio didn't want to deal with the inevitable, why can't we romance them.

Most creatures/races aren't inherently interesting. It's how they are portrayed that makes them interesting(visual/writing). If going forward bio goes DA:A route they'll be interesting, if the keep them as the mindless killing drones of old gods, not so much.

• Like 1
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

While I was not able to detect intelligence in the AI routines of the darkspawn, I do admit I found none in any of the other enemies either. So I guess they're all zombies, just that some are uglier than others.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The darkspawn could've been much more interesting if the were more menacing and chaotic. Like a metaphysical manifestation of a uncontrolled torrent of death. They should've risen out of the ground in camp and killing one of the party members while resting. They should've erupted in the central square in the capital (derelith? Dematith? whatever) by the millions and killed everyone. Point being, you should've been in constant fear of them attacking and no place should've felt 'safe', except for a very few sanctuaries here and there. Their existence should've been more mysterious with no one knowing where they come from or why they even exist to begin with.

My 2c.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The talking Darkspawn were comical and silly -- Everything that seemed intimidating or grotesque about them died as soon as they started talking like the muppets from Sesame Street.

This wasn't?

Whoops....

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Glad this thread turned me on to Bound by Flame. Wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Mario Kart 8 reviews are coming in and everybody is raving about the game.  My urge to buy a Wii U continues to rise.  If (when) Nintendo puts out a proper Metroid, I will likely break down and buy one.  Me, mister hasn't bought a (home) console since 2001 (PS2), will buy your freakin' console if you just give me a proper Metroid.  You hear that Nintendo (I'm sure they don't)?  I will buy your freakin' system if you give me a proper Metroid.  All I want is a proper freakin' Metroid.  Gimme the damn Metroid already, Nintendo! 

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, it turns out that Interceptor and 3D Realms are not making a Duke Nukem game after all.  Instead, they're making Bombshell, starring a scantily clad woman with a robotic arm who is in no way, shape, or form a female Duke Nukem (why would you even consider such a thing?).  The game looks to be a top-down/isometric shooter, in the vein of Shadowgrounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjsyXnqHOhA

bombshell_may_02-noscale.jpg

bombshell_may_05-noscale.jpg

bombshell_may_03-noscale.jpg

bombshell_may_04-noscale.jpg

bombshell_may_01-noscale.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/interceptor-entertainment-forgoes-duke-nukem-for-femme-fatale-bombshell-274875.phtml

Always bet on Duke Bombshell?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Needs more jiggle. Inb4 crocodile tears.

Hopefully that trailer only represents alpha status.  They should get together Team Ninja and license their boob physics technology from Dead or Alive for this game.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So, it turns out that Interceptor and 3D Realms are not making a Duke Nukem game after all.  Instead, they're making Bombshell, starring a scantily clad woman with a robotic arm who is in no way, shape, or form a female Duke Nukem (why would you even consider such a thing?).  The game looks to be a top-down/isometric shooter, in the vein of Shadowgrounds.

Theory: The mechanical arm tends to get very hot, thus explaining why only the leg furthest away from it is fully covered.

:)

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Theory: The mechanical arm tends to get very hot, thus explaining why only the leg furthest away from it is fully covered.

:)

Wouldn't you want the leg on the same side of the body as the arm to be covered to prevent possible accidental burns?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

They were probably both covered before, but she's used to the arm now and doesn't hit her leg or torso as much with it so is willing to risk it. :)