Will Pillars of Eternity have better combat system than Dragon Age Origins?

I sure hope so.

It would be rather degrading if the spiritual Baldur's Gate sequal which isn't deemed 'good enough' is better than this attempt by Obsidian.

• Like 7

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

After the Shadowrun Returns experience I've definitely concluded that pause system is much superior than turn based system so I'm glad that at least this is on par.

But it always comes down to the quality of animations and visual effects, if it has rag doll physics(without it games feel flat), particle effects, etc..

Particularly since DA:O's combat is slow without being particularly tactically challenging, I don't think this ought to be a worry.  The tactical challenge of combat has been in the team's mind from day 1, and nothing that's been said since has caused me to believe that they're deviating from that focus in combat.

• Like 4

Considering that Dragon Age's combat is the answer to a question no one asked (that question being "What if the people who made Baldur's Gate played so much World of Warcraft that their brains turned to mush, and then they tried to make a single-player version?"), it shouldn't be that hard.

Frankly, I'm kind of looking forward to Inquisition because they're clearly trying to do a single-character third-person action thing, at least in part. I'd rather have an unambitious but fun system than the previous games' weird halfassed attempt at full party control.

• Like 7

Frankly, I'm kind of looking forward to Inquisition because they're clearly trying to do a single-character third-person action thing, at least in part. I'd rather have an unambitious but fun system than the previous games' weird halfassed attempt at full party control.

Not strictly on topic but they are still very much aiming for a point between two stools with Inquisition, at least from everything I've read about the combat.

Not strictly on topic but they are still very much aiming for a point between two stools with Inquisition, at least from everything I've read about the combat.

Yeah, but there's clearly far less of the WoW influence in there, which is all I care about.

• Like 1

As the title says..particularly regarding the quality of animations and spell effects?

Yes to the title (I'm fairly certain).

But probably no to the questions in the message body. P:E's entire animation budget is probably less than what DA:O's trailer cost to make, and that is bound to show, whatever tricks they pull out of their hats.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The combat should be fairly different then Dragon Age. Due to DA being a 3rd person action rpg title with cool-downs. From a gameplay stand-point it should play closer to a RTS - with a pause option. By that the player viewpoint should be isometric without the ability to zoom in to player level - like the old Infinity games. I might not be explaining this properly, but I really don't expect a game similar in gameplay to EA's Dragon age franchise.

troll_animation_by_cyderak-d3l59cx.gif

Sorry but Dungeon Siege 3 alongside Kingdoms of Amalur really do have the best combat systems ever created.

This is pretty obvious if you had bothered with either of them.

But as I said I don't expect such level of action based skill combat here, just as long as it is better than Dragon Age Origins.

Edited by Malignacious

0/10

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Dungeon Siege 3 alongside Kingdoms of Amalur really do have the best combat systems ever created.

You have just listed perhaps the worst two combat systems I've ever laid my hands on, and believe me, I've played lots and lots of them (in a PC game, that is)

-10/10

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Dungeon Siege 3 alongside Kingdoms of Amalur really do have the best combat systems ever created.

You have just listed perhaps the worst two combat systems I've ever laid my hands on, and believe me, I've played lots and lots of them (in a PC game, that is)

-10/10

And with that statement you just lost all credibility to even sniff around this subject.

Sorry but Dungeon Siege 3 alongside Kingdoms of Amalur really do have the best combat systems ever created.

But as I said I don't expect such level of action based skill combat here, just as long as it is better than Dragon Age Origins.

KoA was nothing special. Just mixed fighting game mechanics with RPG combat. 

It's always something of a novelty when we get to meet those extremely rare individuals who actually enjoy God of War button-mashing, QTE-fests and loud-and-lame animation and sound effects. Don't forget to take screenies! ;) 

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The combat should be fairly different then Dragon Age. Due to DA being a 3rd person action rpg title with cool-downs. From a gameplay stand-point it should play closer to a RTS - with a pause option. By that the player viewpoint should be isometric without the ability to zoom in to player level - like the old Infinity games. I might not be explaining this properly, but I really don't expect a game similar in gameplay to EA's Dragon age franchise.

No. I played DA:O exclusivly in top down mode, without going into third person view. You can compaire them just fine. And DA:O comes lacking.(compaired to BG games,PoE is an unknown) But if it's not way way better, i will be terribly disapointed

First I'm going to take your quotes seriously, which may be a mistake. How can you compare two single player ARPGS with a party based tactical game? How can the gameplay be even remotely similar? If you want to play that kind of game, well there are lots of others of various quality on the market. They get published all the time and are exactly what this game is trying not to be, and that is why people funded this game on Kickstarter. They did not want another single player ARPG. Its also why you've had such negative responses. If you're looking for another modern RPG, like Dragon Age, you'll definately be dissapointed by Pillars of Eternity. Its not what people funded, nor what the developers have set out to make.

• Like 5

As the title says..particularly regarding the quality of animations and spell effects?

am glad you clarified, 'cause when we think of combat systems, we rare consider quality of animations and spell effects. make sure "ninja-pounce" looks kewl and different than "vampire-slam" is kinda removed from comparing d&d thac0 to a combat system that uses armour for damage resistance... or similar questions. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Pfft... I think the question should be if PioE will have better combat system than the Dark Eye games (Drakensang & River of Time)... :grin:

Best approach on RTwP ever! :bow:

Agreed. I really liked the wounds and healing system in D:TDE. It had just the right amount of sophistication without being overly cumbersome. Plus the armor component system was pretty nice. We won't get anything close to that approach in PoE, it seems.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."