Possible Alpha-ish PoE UI screencap

I got this from the newegg video recently posted by C2B.

This appears to be Obsidian's Combat or Area Testing module where they use the 3D blockout of an area. Previously we saw a rough UI with default Unity buttons. 

Now we appear to have some art, particularly the menu/action bar area in the center, and a newish dialog window.

What I would like to know is, is this the intended direction for the UI design or just the temp one for the test module? Because it's kind of opposite of the expected direction based on interviews after the teaser trailer, giving way to the minimalist crowd.

Nice gauntlet cursor though.

yAcbMj9.jpg

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Please, please, let this be the real PE UI!! I really, really wished for one almost exactly like that. All that I need to know now: Will we be able to move those portraits in order to get a vertical row to the left or right instead! :biggrin:

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I like the large character portraits. But yeah, why there's empty space between the parts of the UI?

Could very well be a placeholder design, though.

It's great that they are big and all, but those gaps really hint at the UI elements being movable and customizable. Hooray! :)

EDIT: Although the image is small, I can still tell it looks absolutely smashing!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Please, please, let this be the real PE UI!! I really, really wished for one almost exactly like that. All that I need to know now: Will we be able to move those portraits in order to get a vertical row to the left or right instead! :biggrin:

So much agree.

Personally I'd rather see a BG1/2 & IwD1 style UI than P:T & IwD2.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Yeah, this does pretty much seem the opposite of what they said they were doing. Hrm.

After looking at Obsidian's Pillars site I thought they might be changing to an ornamental oxidized copper look for the UI instead of the wood look we got in the early mockups.

5ydt7zG.png

I think it's a very beautiful look myself. And it's fit in neatly with the animancy related lore of the game.
Alas, evidently not.

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 8

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

It's one very nice placeholder, if that's the case. And aren't we discerning status effects in the corners of the portraits, just like IWD2, for instance, like I'm playing now? And one portrait even seems to have turned red, as if the character has suffered damage.

i7hb.jpg

Nope. It isn't copper, but it isn't wood either. Whatever it is, it sure looks good, and the symbols are very well designed too (and clearly inspired by IE games). Nice little details on the corners, like that kind of brasswork you see protecting the corners of old expensive books. Perhaps that time-n-date gadget in the middle is also brass.

I'm also very happy about the copper-earthy colour. In some earlier thread, I thought wood looked a bit bad, and that it wouldn't fit very well as an UI overlay on top of the areas we pass, but this pops significantly more, while still being very neutral and sleek.

• Like 1

Minimalist is great, no wasted space is great. Solid bar UIs in games are a casualty of high resolutions.

But aren't these gaps basically wasted space? You aren't going to see something gameplay relevant in-between them.

• Like 4

I for one appreciate every extra pixel I get to see in a beautiful game like this! :)

But the keyword here is customization -  those three components of the UI will most likely be movable and even adjustable.

And maybe, just maybe, Obsidian have been kind enough to accommodate you block-UI-lovers too. I'd love to see as many people happy about the customization of PE's UI as possible. :)

• Like 1

Propably placeholder.

(at least i hope so since it looks bad, several steps in the wrong direction. Death to minimalism)

But a i have faith in Sawyer since  he said many times that the game will have a solid UI instead of movable, floating parts.

• Like 5

Hey, why not combine the best of both worlds? Make the UI minimalistic with draggable components, but add an option to turn the screen entirely into solid wood or stone texture.

Then let the user cut holes of whatever shape and size they like into it in case they want to see the actual game.

Ought to be easy enough, and everybody will be happy.

</tongueincheek>

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Hey, why not combine the best of both worlds? Make the UI minimalistic with draggable components, but add an option to turn the screen entirely into solid wood or stone texture.

Then let the user cut holes of whatever shape and size they like into it in case they want to see the actual game.

Ought to be easy enough, and everybody will be happy.

</tongueincheek>

Hear, hear! Then both sides will have it their way!

• Like 1

IWD2's UI was horrible, and this one is too. Hopefully, placeholder... very much placeholder.

And like many others I prefer L shaped UI than this bar horridness.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Another UI thread.... I will take pity and not post too much.  Other than to say that is clearly a mock up.  Obsidian has already discussed what they are going for long term and it didn't include transparent gaps between the portraits.  That said that UI looks perfectly serviceable and could be easily customizable, which I think is something the final UI should try to include though I fear it won't.

I will say... again.... L shape is stupid.  It was designed that way due to lack of screen space not because it "flowed well".  Obsidian's own more modern UI work (planescape torment/icewind dale 2 even) all avoided it, and for good reason.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Here are some recent UIs, obviously with various demands on functionality and info. Still I must say, the version of D3 RoS would probably work the best for me in regards to PE:

yf2a.jpg

COH2

Obviously, the minimap is important here, but for PE this would be so much wasted space.

r3yj.jpg

D3RoS

Something like this, where these skills get to be spells and item shortcuts, and then portraits could be in some corner. Obviously no need for gigantic mana and primary power orbs. We could even get one of those copper caryatids in here, no problem, if we think PE.

5rlk.jpg

M&M X Legacy

This one just goes to show how much screen real estate you can waste in a block/panel UI.

It doesn't look like a mockup, but some functionalities, like the character's abilities, seem to be absent/hidden. It does seem much more streamlined compared to the original mockup and, well, I can live with it, but I'd prefer something a bit solider.

EDIT: If I had to guess, the thing in the middle doubles as a pause button and a way to change combat speed.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I will say... again.... L shape is stupid.  It was designed that way due to lack of screen space not because it "flowed well".  Obsidian's own more modern UI work (planescape torment/icewind dale 2 even) all avoided it, and for good reason.

And they are all horrible (Especially IWD2's gigantic block of bottom UI).

So your point is?

Maybe it was designed due to that reason, but hey... it still looks and works a lot better than what tech says we should use these days, so why not?

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee